News Star Trek: Discovery Set Photos

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 17, 2017.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think that's bad either. It's refreshing to have a show in this day and age with such tight security that there have been so few leaks. We all can go in largely surprised as we should be.

Captain Fine likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's because they're filming in Canada. The Canadians are too polite to leak anything.

Shalashaska and Sakonna like this.
  3. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

No, we just apologize afterwards.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

I think it was after Ted's really innocuous pics, at least that's when photos of the 'do not take photos' started surfacing.

jamestyler likes this.
  5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll third that. I try telling myself that I should be more excited about it, but that ship sailed.

If it ends up being a good series, I know my excitement will return really quickly. I do hope it turns out good. We've just been strung along too far now.

6. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Hadn't considered that! I hope not though - despite giving nothing away, he knows how to tease!

GeekFilter likes this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Probably won't happen. No leaks now doesn't mean we won't have heaps of stuff spoiled before we sit down to watch it. I mean, that would be awesome and I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Preview screeners, reviews, leaks, they'll probably all come before you and I get to watch it. Especially as I'll have to wait 'til a full day after the US release before I can watch it. :(

8. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't distract me from the worry about the show being delayed yet again because of a writers strike.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I highly doubt the stike will effect Discovery at all. They've been shooting, and went through a rather lengthy pre-production phase.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

An agreement was reached early this morning to avoid a writer's strike. Surprised it has not been reported by anyone on here. It could mean we get a release date soon.

Shalashaska likes this.
  11. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

That's good news.

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also feel disappointed by this inane "secrecy" surrounding the production (it's just a TV show, not covert black ops project!). But I think we should all pause to remember that for pretty much every other ST series, the only "leaks" we used to get were about four photos spread into a Starlog article.

Someone recently posted the TNG preview trailer from '87. That's everything I knew about the series before the premiere. Well, that, and I knew there was a Klingon, an android with an unbelievably stupid name (Data, really?!) and that the captain was in Excalibur and Life Force -- which I actually rented on VHS in order to see his performance.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot about Life Force.. There was also Dune, and um.... Hamlet where he sported a fro...

14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

That's not entirely correct. I went to a con where Majel Barrett was talking extensively about what to expect from TNG, mentioning that Data was based on Questor, etc...

15. WarpFactorZ

The point was that information was only available in either small quantities, or in your case at a limited/localized event. Those of us who didn't live near Cons had to rely on the former.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really - Usenet and local dial up modem BBSes spread info across the country RE: TNG fairly quickly.

17. WarpFactorZ

The number of people who had access to these services -- or actually used them on a regular basis because of cost -- is much smaller than those who surf TrekBBS. I got my first computer in about 1982, and a modem a couple years later. But I can count on my fingers the amount of times I used a dial-up service (which required a long distance call because there was no local number for it).

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  18. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

And the first time I used the Internet in the UK was at a technology fayre with school in about 1993. The Internet prior to the mid-to-late nineties really wasn't that common or accessible, even if it did exist. We didn't get the Internet at home until 1997, and that was when we lived abroad.

19. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to mention services such as The Source, CompuServe, and QuantumLink that collectively had hundreds of thousands of subscribers. The 1980's might have been primitive by today's tech standards, but hardly the Stone Age. Word most certainly got around.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had full Internet and Usenet access in 1982 as I was getting my Computer Science degree in programming. Back then Usenet had the 'net.startrek' newsgroup and it was active.

Shaka Zulu and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.