Star Trek Discovery Leaving Netflix For Paramount+ Internationally, season 4 global launch in 2022

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Char Kais, Nov 16, 2021.

1. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Their shareholders, etc, wanted to, not really needed to.

The big media giants wanted to replicate Netflix, not thinking through what that would entail and how much of the streaming pie would be left, defeating the purpose of streaming media and re--igniting piracy.

And so here we are.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, when do you strike out on your own? Competition is already fierce. Do you wait until a more favorable market? How long?

I don't know the nuances of these deals but I don't fault expansion. Your competitors are gaining an edge daily. What are we doing to expand our market share while minimizing support to the competition?

gorn81, ichab and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Oh... But some tvs are getting it Sony I think is adding it to their sets so Samsung should follow.

4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Corporations like ViacimCBS get suckered into a damned if you do, damned if you don't pattern of over expanding and over extracting - fair enough you break up Netflix's near monopoly with healthy competition, and the consumers are happy enough with two to three big streaming services to choose from in a regulated market.

But when having a dozen or more services, with increased subscription costs, with ViacomCBS seeing it as a excuse to aggressively clamp down on IP at the audience's expense, then there's too much of a feeding frenzy and hyper competition between too many streaming services becomes toxic (and there may be a sunk cost fallacy, with ViacomCBS execs thinking their own streaming service would be more profitable than using Netflix as a middle man, when Paramount+ could be too expensive and fail).

DEWLine and StarMan like this.
  5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Alex, you made all these posts one right after the other in a short period of time. In the future, choose the posts that you want to quote by pushing the +Quote button which can be found in the bottom right corner of each post next to the Reply button, and then you can consolidate all the posts you want to respond to into one big reply like I have above. Thanks. :)

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

My wife and I don't really miss It.
    Season 3 wasn't that great, so skipping season 4 is no problem for us

Bornin1980something likes this.
  7. Andyliini

Andyliini Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It has been almost a week now since the news dropped, and I'm getting used to it by now. Sure, it sucks, but it happens to us all the time.Especially in film department, if we don't get a theatrical release of a film, I have to wait until it's out on streaming or Blu-Ray, and that is always at least a four-month wait. This often happens with films that are not well received or don't perform well enough on their domestic markets.

And in the end, it's just entertainment. I'l live.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Get off the internet now.

Go on - right now. Scram !

:hugegrin:

TedShatner10 and USS Firefly like this.
  9. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am glad I live in Canada, it's still on Crave here. Crave has better content than Paramount Plus.

There are going to be winners and losers in the Streaming Market and I think some of the losers will team up eventually.

The big winners seem to be Netflix and Disney Plus. It does seem like Paramount Plus and Peacock are kinda on the loser side.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  10. fireproof78

Yup. That's the nature of business.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't classify NBC Universal as losing the Streaming game because they have something that no-one else does: content, both old and new, from the biggest pro wrestling/Sports Entertainment company in the world (the WWE). Even with AEW gaining traction, the WWE is still the kingpin, and only having to pay $10 and change a month for what they produce, especially their PPVs, is a huge deal even if Netflix and Disney seem higher-profile with regards to the content they offer.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

What a dick move

13. Gingerbread Demon

When is all of Star Trek being pulled off Netflix, I just did a quick look and Enterprise is still there.

14. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

‪‪I don’t think they’ve specified a time that’s happening yet, it’s just assumed that when the current contracts run out they won’t be renewed. In the U.S. 3 of the 5 the pre-Discovery series that were on Netflix were removed at the end of September this year, with only TNG & DS9 still available.

With the removal of TOS, VOY & ENT from Netflix US, and the removal of Discovery from Netflix International, several of the industry articles reporting on the news have asked the same question, when will the rest of the Star Trek catalogue be leaving, and suggesting that it will likely be sooner than later.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  15. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah it was pretty much a dick move, I'll still watch Netflix for crazy things like Red Notice and 6 Underground

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

In Germany all pre-streaming Star Trek shows plus all 3 JJ Movies are still on Netflix.

17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I think my answer would be in the form of a different question - should you strike out on your own? You can make content and sell it to existing streaming services - none has a monopoly enough to practice price control so you still have that leverage. Meanwhile you avoid all the costs and risks of launching and running a steaming service of your own and are extremely flexible in the marketplace - if one streaming service you have a contract with folds, you shrug and move to the next. Deciding instead to launch a niche service in countries where you don't have great brand recognition (albeit Paramount is a better 'name' than CBS) where your competition is Amazon, Netflix and fucking Disney seems... odd. I don't get the business decision here at all.

jackoverfull and saddestmoon like this.
  18. fireproof78

On the hand I see your point. But, from the business side, I see it as a adjusting how they are directing money. Some businesses will struggle with putting out money to support competitors which doesn't benefit them fully. So, while I don't know if you "should" I do think that the drive is to feel that they are more in control of their brand and IP. While I don't know the money side I can imagine that the numbers reflect a lot of output to competitors that they feel can be directed elsewhere, as well as trying to branch in to a new market.

For my experience, I worked for a retailer who slowly eased in to online ordering. They did it all themselves, they did not rely upon a third party platform, like Amazon, because it afforded them more control over how this new program was rolled out. So, for me, as a business minded person, having direct control means more.

gorn81 likes this.
  19. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Some good news for a change. Never heard of Pluto TV. Anyone here has experience with them?