Star Trek Discovery Leaving Netflix For Paramount+ Internationally, season 4 global launch in 2022

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Char Kais, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

Cancerous?

2. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Please don't judge Americans by our congressmen and senators. One of the senators that represents my state was unable to even name the three branches of the federal government (executive, legislative and judicial). And, no, I didn't vote for him.

3. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

It certainly feels like they're going "Fuck you!!" at overseas viewers and actions from unfeeling, psychopathic organisations like media companies speak louder than words...

jackoverfull likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lack of information will do that.

5. Timtamttime

Timtamttime Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Lol! Don’t worry. I know most normal Americans aren’t like that. Unfortunately, the ones in power seem to be the ones that forget that the rest of the world exists, too. I hope the person you voted for gets in next time!

TedShatner10 likes this.
  6. TedShatner10

And accountability.

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah.Just like the spate of torture movies that were popular some years ago,I expect a rash of these “death sport” movies to come.
    I know Running man and Rollerball were a thing but to my mind this stuff is debasing and horrible.

8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I don't know specifically what happened, but if it was shown definitively that Paramount pulled Discovery season 4 from Netflix a week from premier, without guilt laying on the side of Netflix, when thousands of people had paid for a month of Netflix in hopes of seeing it, even as a US customer, I'd agree to a boycott of Paramount+ until they somehow made it right.

If it was Netflix's fault, well I was already thinking of cancelling on them.

jackoverfull and TedShatner10 like this.
  9. TedShatner10

Netflix seems quiet while it looks like Nat. Amusements/ViacomCBS are vapidly blabbering about the thunderingly stupid decision and boasting of their own streaming service that they've been too slow to trundle out.

They'd perhaps would've ironically made more money in the long run if they stuck with Netflix instead, rather than running with scissors with their Paramount+ launch.

jackoverfull likes this.
  10. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apple rarely makes large purchases. There are of course a few exceptions. But in general they prefer to purchase small companies, and work on integrating any technology or design into their larger corporate interests.
    Hell there was a serious large push to have them buy ABC/ Disney, but the company didn't thank it was worth it, and still doesn't.

And unlike any other company in the media distribution field, Apple can absolutely take the long road.

11. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

They've been running with scissors for a while; all fun and games, until someone loses an eye!

12. fireproof78

That's what my uncle says. His glass eye looks so real now, until it pops out and rolls across the Thanksgiving table.

Timtamttime likes this.
  13. TedShatner10

While Nat. Amusements/ViacomCBS are going along the very narrow, windy road along the high cliff face with no handrails...

saddestmoon likes this.
  14. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I agree with your last line. I don't get the appeal.

15. alex08060

alex08060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I expect Star Trek fans from the rest of the world to go Bajor resistance to watch season 4 of disco. Who the heck wants to wait for months before they can see it or years or none at all. The cardassian union has overreached it self as usual as well as being racist to outsiders.

jackoverfull and TedShatner10 like this.
  16. fireproof78

"Wants to?" No, I don't want to. But, I'm not willing to give them more money or other options so I will wait.

17. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

I absolutely hate how there's practically no good solution to this whole thing. My choices are either

1.) Wait until we finally get Paramount+ and accept you'll never have a truly first viewing experience because all the major turning points, twists, reveals, the funny and emotional bits, iconic quotes, key points of the storyline and the conclusion itself will all have been spoiled and thoroughly dissected by American viewers months before you can finally watch it.

2.) Go on a Star Trek sabbatical until the release, unsubscribing from literally all piece of social media related to your favorite franchise for months if not years, because most Star Trek-related social media doesn't restrict itself to a specific series and spoilers will inevitably pop up in your feed. And of course, you can only minimize the spoilers but not eliminate them; you can always have salty haters post "this latest cringe reveal in STD ruins DS9 canon about Bajoran culture" in the lone DS9 group you're still subscribed to or LGBTQ news sites you're following posting front-page articles about the next big moment for representation in that week's episode.

3.) Bite the bullet and watch it illegally. Which is, let's face it, what 95% of international fans will do anyway.

18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Australia already has paramount + and I subscribed when Prodigy came out. For some reason we're being included in the international release. But for the first time in my life i had to find an alternative, which I neither condone or support. I feel slightly better because I'm still paying for my P+ subscription and will continue to do so. But no way was I missing out on Season 4.

jackoverfull and SJGardner like this.
  19. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly don't see it as Anti-Consumer. A studio should have the right to show their intellectual property in any way they see fit. CBS All access was already a success in the U.S and I don't think the decision would have been made for a international roll out if the execs weren't confident it would succeed. Paramount + has already made the very smart move of being available via Apple TV in some locations internationally. I pay the same price for both Apple and Paramount + that I did for Netflix. Paramount + will eventually affiliate with existing streaming networks in other locations and have a global reach.

The only reason Discovery was on Netflix to begin with was because CBS wasn't ready to roll out a streaming service internationally. Netflix has only really benefitted because of intellectual properties they don't own. The successes like Stranger Things and Squid Game are very much few and far between and there are a ton of streaming services out there already with a ton of better and more diverse content. I also think it's questionable as to whether Squid Game will become the on-going success Netflix wants it to be, given that the creator Hwang Dong-Hyuk seems very reluctant to commit to a second season.

I think the plan was for Season 4 to air on Netflix and CBS/Viacom tried to negotiate and small extension of their existing contract with Netflix. However I think Netflix asked CBS/Viacom to commit to something that would not have been in their interests, like a long term/multi-year contract, and so CBS/Viacom were forced to invoke their exit option which also meant they couldn't season 4 in the international markets where P+ was available for x amount of time due to some clause in the existing contract. Netflix isn't an innocent party in all this. They know how to play the game.

Squid Game is very, very good. It's a commentary about the disparity between the poor working class and rich elites, how korean society largely allows that disparity to happen and the pointlessness in pursuing wealth among other themes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    777, gorn81, SJGardner and 2 others like this.
  20. alex08060

alex08060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nobody is innocent in all this, CBS can more or less have a deal not to show season 4 in countries that have their app. This didn’t happen and I doubt they will go to every country in the world like Disney and Netflix and even if they did will take years.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    TedShatner10 likes this.