Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x09 - "Lagrange Point"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters

Commander Richard

Yo! Man!
Premium Member

stdsc509.jpg

"After Moll and the Breen capture a mysterious structure that contains the Progenitors’ power, Captain Burnham must lead a covert mission to retrieve it before the Breen figure out how to use it." - TrekMovie.com

Gave it an 8. A pretty good action piece! Although nothing really to take it to a higher level but nice and taught.

I just can't buy Moll as being the Breen leader effectively. Partially because the actress is underwhelming. Partially the unbelievable way she took over and them accepting her.

I wish there had been more time where they need ponder the Progenitor tech and what to do with. Next week's episode seems like it could be rushed. I know they filmed extra scenes but those were to wrap up the series.

I wasn't sure how the shuttle approached the Breen ship undetected?

It almost seems like they should have gone with their last plan first. Blast there way into the shuttle bay and pull out the pod. More likely to work in a short amount of time than a convoluted infiltration ploy involving multiple teams that have to succeed.

Just finished it. Next week’s episode better be long. Like 70-90 minutes long. They got so much to wrap up also want to see Saru’s and T’Rina’s Wedding.
And they have to explain Calypso too? This is pretty dull that this macguffin chase has lasted until literally the series finale. The rest of the Trek franchise is just going to be going through the motions until reaching this point in the timeline too.

I wasn't sure how the shuttle approached the Breen ship undetected?
The Shuttle was cloaked, it was also coming in directly inline with the Impulse Exhaust port on the Breen ship.
Ergo a "Sensor Blind Spot" due to all the sensor noise caused from the Impulse Exhaust of their own ship.

It almost seems like they should have gone with their last plan first. Blast there way into the shuttle bay and pull out the pod. More likely to work in a short amount of time than a convoluted infiltration ploy involving multiple teams that have to succeed.
I'd argue "Brute Force" is most likely to fail, and they didn't know if they had enough "Fire Power" to drop the shields.

It wasn't until Captain Burnham gave him that "Secret Coded" message over comms that he came up with the idea to ram their shields and enter the ginormous cargo/shuttle bay to depressurize it.

More reason to NEVER/EVER build Cargo/Shuttle Bay's that big when you can fit a StarShip inside.

how does the suit know which words to blast out in breen, and which to only send to friends in english? :shifty:
I wouldn't be surprised if their personal COMMs are hooked up to the suits Transponder unit and their Synaptic Transceivers or other Brain-Machine interface automatically know who to send communications to, that would explain the low latency dedicated communication channel swaps.

Synaptic Transceivers are "Old Tech" that "The Doctor" will eventually come up with.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some form of "Mind Reading" tech that forms a Brain-Machine Interface didn't need to be implanted with 32nd century tech.

Remember, Voyager already encountered devices that directly interfaced with the mind like a personal Holodeck when they met with the Equinox. That didn't need any "Implants" as well.

So there is BMI tech where it could be easily built into a device that touches a part of your body and just interfaces directly.

Last edited:
Still watching the episode, but why didn't the writers just promote Tilly like everyone else? It's weird she's stuck as a Lt. but gets made XO when there are commanders on the bridge.

Rayner is such a fun addition. That final scene with him finally taking the chair and getting his “big damn heroes” speech is just so good. A crying shame we’re only gonna get one season with him.

Another great episode overall. The weakness of the villains aside, this is still the best season after they made the jump to the future. All they gotta do now is stick the landing.

Another "You got this". lol
Ever since someone pointed out that all writers seem to like using that line, this is my shot game for any piece of media now.

I'm surprised there isn't a time dilation caused by being so close to two black holes, where the crews only experience hours, for the rest of the galaxy years elapse.
I gave the episode a 9, the best so far this season.

Another "You got this". lol
Ever since someone pointed out that all writers seem to like using that line, this is my shot game for any piece of media now.

That's because "failure is not an option." :rofl:

Another 8 for this week. Moll still annoys me, but that was a great little episode, with action that actually served the plot. How big are those Breen shuttle bays though? :D

Saru's back baby! All is right with the world.

The presence of the Federation President had me longing for the days when she was more interested in rebuilding the Federation. It seems like it was dropped this year.

Last edited:
Good episode that is once again dragged down by the Breen... this time, by how incompetent they are. Overall I think being 10 episodes has made them be tighter with the pacing, but the individual episodes have been better at telling individual stories. I think the S4 "villain" was much better conceived though.

Given people's speculations about resurrections, I'm kind of hoping they subvert things a little but I almost expect a double happy ending - particularly if they knew that this was going to be series finale.

Either that, or since Jonathan Frakes was in the neighbourhood to direct this episode, maybe this is also another holodeck simulation and the final words will be Riker saying "Computer, end program". :p

Still watching the episode, but why didn't the writers just promote Tilly like everyone else? It's weird she's stuck as a Lt. but gets made XO when there are commanders on the bridge.

Happens in real life as well. NATO countries distinguish between power of rank, and power of position.

You can have a Skipper as a Lieutenant Commander and a Chief Medical Officer with a rank of Captain. In the end there is no confusion that the Lieutenant Commander is commanding officer. Is quite common with woman who because they leave to raise children, do not reach the needed hours to command a ship, even though they technically outrank everyone on board.

The Skipper has a lot of leeway to promote anyone he wants into command positions, even making lower ranked crew the superior of higher ranked crew. In the Star trek Universe that would be the explanation why Chief O'Brien is the Chief Engineer of DS9 even though he is not even an officer, technically Ensign Nog outranked him. Because Sisko said so.

Last edited:
Back