Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x12 - "There Is A Tide…"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 30, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.1%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

30.1%
  4. 7

16.8%
  5. 6

2.3%
  6. 5

4.0%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.5%
  1. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

You're being silly. The Prime Directive doesn't stop Starfleet engaging in offensive action against a hostile force to defend itself or others.

The Prime Directive concerns affecting the development of alien races/societies, particularly those who haven't achieved interstellar spaceflight.

Everyone knows this.

Vger23, jackoverfull and Jax like this.
  2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I bet Capt. Robau had skin tight blue socks

Jax likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still wondering why Osyraa didn't use her pheromones to influence Adm. Vance...

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Not every one is as dumb as Archer.

Kzinti and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

The technology and the blueprints aren't lost at all.
    Its sourcing the parts and building them to exact specs of the times that's considered costly.

However, today we have 3D printing, molecular manufacturing and atomic scale manufacturing, so those 'reasons' aren't a real issue.
    Money is always in the way.

jackoverfull and Angry Fanboy like this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The horror...the horror

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Archer wasn't 'dumb'.
    He was unfamiliar with Orion physiology at the time (at least until the mid part of the episode or late into it).
    Also, I would surmise that by the 23rd century, this particular 'problem' was nullified my Starfleet medical (seeing how in the Kelvin timeline we've seen that an orion female served in Starfleet, and also in Lower Decks (aka, late 24th century), Tendi was serving in Starfleet too.

Its highly likely that all humans were given a 'vaccine' of sorts at their birth which provides protection against various diseases and problems they may encounter in space, but also unwanted Orion female pheromones.

DEWLine likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Actually????? This is a fictional directive that morphs with the needs of the plot.

10. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad, I was hoping for a scene like below--
    Also, I can imagine some, uh, pleasure seekers outright wanting to remove any pheromone vaccination before a trip to an Orion resort.

11. Nerys Myk

We've seen Orion women without the pheromone, yes? Perhaps it's just the "animal women" who have the ability?

12. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You might want to read more then just the first paragraph of the memory alpha article...

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or as others above has stated, Starfleet Medical came up with the vaccine or treatment that nullifies the Orion female pheromone; and every member of Starfleet is inoculated.

14. Angry Fanboy

Come on then. Enlighten us with the section of the Prime Directive that stops Starfleet taking offensive action against the Emerald Chain. :)

jackoverfull likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Star Trek?

Enterprise is Great likes this.
  16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, but they are under Federation law and galactic accords and morally reprehensible. Vance was no doubt concerned that the if the Federation allied with the Chain it would give legitimacy to their behaviour. Osyraa refusing to take responsibility called into doubt her sincerity.

Sure, but I doubt they would all be happy with Osyraa walking around enjoying her freedoms after what she did to them.

Like I said in a previous post Osyraa made it clear multiple times that she has no intention of peace with the Federation. All of her theatrics with Vance are just a smokescreen for something else and Vance was right to not capitulate.

Nyotarules, Gilora, SJGardner and 3 others like this.
  17. Angry Fanboy

I agree with all of this.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  18. NX_01

NX_01 Ensign Red Shirt

19. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The federation didn’t have many problems negotiating with the Dominion, the Klingons, the Romulans And the Cardassians, all of which had pretty immoral governments for human standards.

I stand corrected. My point still stands, though: foreign powers still tried to keep good relations with the fascist government and, if anything, try to improve things through diplomacy, not by bombing Greece to dust.

Osyraa spent a lot of her political credit to abolish slavery and having the chain withdraw from backwater worlds, she even accepted to step down as the public face of the Chain, looks a lot like “taking responsibility” to me.

What she did...such as finding a way to free them? Osyraa is *not* the founder of the Chain or the originator of slavery. Sure, she might have been brutal for a few years, as her peers, but a leader striving for change and giving freedom to slaves would probably end up being quite popular.

no, this is definitely *not* clear. Maybe next week, most likely never.

20. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The part about "Interfering in the internal affairs of a society"...

Tim Thomason likes this.