Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x12 - "There Is A Tide…"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 30, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.1%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

30.1%
  4. 7

16.8%
  5. 6

2.3%
  6. 5

4.0%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.5%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just Lower Decks. They had less time but they have have developed the bridge crew more so than Discovery

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I won't deny that Mando S2 had fan service and blatant ads for spinoffs, I still found it more enjoyable than S1. S1 Mando just meandered from episode to episode, running, oh no can't stay here, run some more etc. How much filler of Mando wandering around a desert landscape can even the most devoted Star Wars fan take? S1's plot could probably have been condensed into a 2 hour movie.

S2 Mandalorian actually moved the plot forward at a steady pace.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny when Discovery does fan service it's bad. When Mandalorian does fan service it gives people all the feels!

4. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given Aurellio's knowledge of medical science seems to be below that of the 24th century Federation I wouldn't put much stock in his difficulties or claims of expertise.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She studied under Princess Leia ;)
    I don't recall Vance shedding any tears.
    I think it's more than three.

I sure hope so,
    He probably has a vested interest in them.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. Yistaan

Strangely enough despite programmable matter and gimmicky transporters, everything about the TNG era seems more advanced than the 32nd century. Note how Data immediately locks out the main computer in First Contact "with a fractal encryption code. It is highly unlikely that the Borg will be able to break it".

Meanwhile the supposed combination of the Sphere Data and 32nd century tech can't even stop Osyraa and her goons.

Even La Sirena seems cooler than Book's ship. Watching Disco S3 with Picard in mind feels like watching TOS with Enterprise in mind, wondering why despite the later timeframe the tech feels less advanced.

And Osyraa should have told Vance "Fine, if you won't accept this truce without putting me on trial, I'll broadcast to the galaxy how you allowed Empress Georgiou, a dictator responsible for more crimes than I can even attempt, serve in your fleet. Then everyone will know that Charles Vance is a hypocrite!" :lol:

picardjean-luc likes this.
  7. Nerys Myk

I thought it was Stamets who made the claim.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    This may be only the second time the Dot robots were actually fun and likable, the first being "Ephraim and Dot(SHO)."

I like the hand sign they flash Tilly and the bridge officers when they say they're going to help free the ship.

9. Yistaan

Cut scene from Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

Scotty: Admiral, I tried to tell Spock that he didn't need to enter the radioactive chamber to restore warp drive! I had already ordered the DOTs to do it! But Spock went ahead and sacrificed himself for nothing!

Kirk: :weep:

10. Fateor

Nope, it was Aurellio who talked about having trouble replicating the DNA.

Mind you, the tech Aurellio had access to couldn't even cure a minor genetic disease, a thing they could do simply by Voyager's era. So his credentials there are highly questionable.

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well, wow. This episode was wonderful. It was beautiful, it was surprising, it was engaging, it was filled with very good character moments... it was Star Trek.

Honestly, given the setup from last week, I was expecting a two week exercise in pew-pew. I didn't anticipate Osyraa's intent at all, and I didn't expect to suddenly find myself very interested in that character. As Stamets put so well, "I believe you that she is more than she appears to be... but she is also exactly what she appears to be." I did not like that character much leading up to this episode, but now I genuinely hope she survives the season to remain a recurring antagonist.

Bring on the season finale. This has been a wonderful season of Star Trek. I'm surprised and impressed that I am able to say that.

Vger23, JoeP, Gilora and 4 others like this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Every genetic disease? And what do we know about Aurellio's disease? Enough to know it's "minor"?

13. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Like Mount's Pike, the DOTs need their own series. Preferably live-action. :luvlove:

Kzinti and Kevman7987 like this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They would likely not be on a training mission.

15. Fateor

All genetic diseases were minor by the Voyager era, that's what happens when you can literally re-write a persons genetic structure as much as you want to no real detriment.

16. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this is not about Tilly, but about Saru. They are setting him up for a fall; his choosing Tilly s XO ("acting" or not) being among the signs he is not Captain material. Vance's looks and remarks in the last few episodes were quite telling. This will, of course, pave the way for Michael.

Will Saru be demoted, or will he step down voluntarily? My money is on the latter. Maybe he even decides to stay with Kelpian Kiddo? I just hope they won't kill him off.

ETA: I should have read the rest of this thread, @eschaton prety much said the same... I was lazy,, please ignore.

17. Anduinel

Anduinel Captain Captain

Good episode, but the high point was definitely Stamets going right for Burnham's throat. Really hoping for some fallout from that next ep, especially if the threat of the Burn gets neutralized.

Gilora, Leto_II and cooleddie74 like this.
  18. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

The discussion around Vance, Osyraa, the Federation, the Chain, capitalism and morals was pretty neat. Some interesting material there, especially since Osyraa appeared to be genuine with her proposal.

Someone mentioned it was Vance’s Federation idealism vs. Osyraa’s realpolitik. I agree with that point.

SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole discussion around Stamets's tardigrade DNA was totally ridiculous, because...we can read DNA right effin now with a spit sample. Consumer-based DNA services only look for certain key SNPs, but I know people who have had their whole genomes read...and I'm not even involved in genetics. This is one of those cases where it's painfully obvious not a single person in the writer's room has even a passing knowledge of contemporary science.

20. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

According to the actress who plays Osyraa (Janet Kidder), she was aiming for a so-called Mid-Atlantic accent, which is an accent that combines American and British accents. The Mid-Atlantic accent is a real accent, but a cultivated one (meaning that nobody is born speaking it, but rather they are trained to speak it). It used to be very common in early cinema, and also encouraged in certain boarding schools.

For an example of this accent elsewhere in television, the characters Frasier and Niles Crane, in the TV show "Frasier", use the accent as well.

JoeP, SJGardner, TPezz and 4 others like this.