Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x09 - "Terra Firma, Part 1"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 9, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

17.3%
  2. 9

21.8%
  3. 8

19.8%
  4. 7

16.3%
  5. 6

8.9%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

4.0%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.0%
  1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

So he let his beliefs and crazy attitude sink his own career.... What a guy? /s

2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's also a big Trumpist. Ditto Dean Cain.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  3. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

How did the emperor suppose Mirror Burnham survived getting her head chopped off in the corridor when prime Burnham showed up?

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She didn't. Originally, she sent Burnham away to hunt down Lorca and she probably wasn't there when the Charon was christened.

Gilora, SJGardner and jackoverfull like this.
  5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

DId she? I don't quite remember, but I think she figured out that Burnham was from the other side pretty quickly?

6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still don't understand how she predicted that Stamets was going to stab her, considering he clearly didn't do that in the original iteration.

7. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Oh OK, I thought in the episode she said something along the lines of "from this point on time has changed" - as if right up till then it was all the same, but yes I think you're right.

8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe experience and instinct. I am sure she has a lot of experience with people trying to kill her. She can detect the signs.

9. Tim Thomason

My assumption is that she didn't bring Burnham to the show, and Stamets either chickened out or did a poor job of attacking the Emperor without a clear signal (probably chickened out). If he did attack the Emperor still, she probably just arrested him and tortured him (and then he betrayed Lorca and joined her side), although that's highly unlikely, as the episode shows it would make her seem weak to spare an attempted assassin's life.

In the original version, I believe, he just chickened out, and later turned sides when Burnham disappeared and Lorca was amassing a rebellion, probably because he thought he'd be discovered.

How she knew he was going to stab her then? Quick thinking and instinct. She probably didn't want to kill Stamets, but c'est la vie.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be fairly logical to postulate that the Stamets element of the assassination plot was a last-minute improvisation by Burnham and Lorca, who just recently learned (from whomever, probably Owosekun) that the Emperor knew everything, or at least that she suspected something. Such learning would not have taken place in the "original" version of these events where Georgiou had no divine insight.

We could then assume that Georgiou would be able to spot last-minute changes to the festivities, and correctly assume that they would be part of the plot. But Burnham's folks would be pretty idiotic not to realize that the Emperor would suspect, if they start out from the assumption that she suspects! (But of course Burnham wouldn't know that Georgiou has already lived through these festivities, in a timeline where there was no Stamets song and dance.)

Timo Saloniemi

11. Tim Thomason

It isn't weak for Georgiou to take Burnham's slave. That's just prudent leadership right there. Burnham knew, in a logical world, that Georgiou probably tortured the slave for all the information he had overheard while bathing and clothing and whatever else he got up to with Burnham. And that spelled disaster.

So Burnham "knew" that Georgiou knew everything Saru knew, which was probably highly incriminating. So a Hail Mary with a hastily planned assassination from a patsy was her best bet to get rid of her and maybe take over the Empire if all goes to plan.

burningoil and SJGardner like this.
  12. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I guess Time Soldier Yor from the Kelvinverse in "Terra Firma, Part 1" might have finally explained Crewman Daniels' cryptic comments about Illinois and Earth:

"TUCKER: And you didn't grow up in Illinois.
    DANIELS: Oh, I'm from a place called Illinois, sir. Just not the one you're familiar with.
    TUCKER: It's good to know Earth will still be around in nine hundred years.
    DANIELS: That depends on how you define Earth."

He might have been another native from the Kelvinverse.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Kevman7987 likes this.
  13. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget John Hurt and John Rhys-Davies. This was the first show I'd seen any of these people in.

And those are just the ones who made it big on this side of the pond. Sian Phillips' Livia is one of the all-time great screen villains, but she made her career in British TV rather than chasing the Hollywood bucks. Still makes, I should say, since she's still active at 87.

Llywela and mdtauk like this.
  14. AlanC9

I read those as replicated biological constructs rather than holograms. Which is actually more advanced, isn't it?

15. AlanC9

It's kind of unfortunate. He's a limited actor and shouldn't be let anywhere near running a show, but there are still parts he could play and do well with.

Of course, being difficult to work with is probably the real issue here. I think something similar is going on with Johnny Depp.

16. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

So glad we got to see the real Captain Killy. I was disappointed when they let that opportunity pass the first time.

SJGardner and Lord Garth like this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just thought of something...

When the ISS Discovery is about to break orbit of Earth and join the christening of the Charon, the ISS Shenzhou must have been in the area, amirite? In the first season, mirror Saru is a slave on the Shenzhou, not Discovery. And mu-Burnham is also part of the Shenzhou crew (IIRC, she was the XO).

I mean, obviously we never actually see the Shenzhou in "Terra Firma" but it must have been there nonetheless, because we see so many of its crew in this ep.

jackoverfull likes this.
  18. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

MU Burnham is the captain of the Shenzhou.

jackoverfull and NCC-73515 like this.
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Not yet, she isn't. "Terra Firma" takes place several months before Burnham kills Danby Connor.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  20. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

Connor becomes the captain after Burnham is thought to be dead while chasing after Lorca. When PU Burnham shows up on the Shenzhou with Lorca in tow -- masquerading as MU Burnham -- the crew greets her as the captain.

Remember Connor's lines to her before the turbolift knife fight. "They bow to me, but not as low as they bow to you."

In this dimension or whatever it is, Burnham has not left to go after Lorca, therefore, she's still the captain.

NCC-73515 and SJGardner like this.