Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x09 - "Terra Firma, Part 1"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 9, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

17.3%
  2. 9

21.8%
  3. 8

19.8%
  4. 7

16.3%
  5. 6

8.9%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

4.0%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.0%
  1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Or it won't because it was all a lie meant to stir up shit.

So far if this is enough to upset you, then you're too unstable to be left alone with others.

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you're referring to RMB?

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

A 9.

As a TOS fan, no I can't really say there was anything I disliked; plus I loved all the Easter eggs they threw in. Overall, a applaud what they did here as it was not what I was expecting at all - and I LOVE watching Michelle Yeoh play a badass.

If 'Carl' is a fully functional 'Guardian of Forever' (unlike the one James T. Kirk found 960 or so years earlier), I like that possibility. IF a culture possessed that kind of technology, why would they create only one such 'entity/device'? Why wouldn't they place more such entities/devices on other worlds they controlled?

It's a very interesting and novel idea (IMO) and I applaud the writing staff if it indeed turns out to be the case.

Why didn't I give it a 10? Well, I only do that for episodes that really knock my socks off, and while I enjoyed this a lot (and am looking forward to Part II); it didn't reach that level for me. The only ST: D episode I've given a 10 to was the 2nd season's "If Memory Serves" (like I said, I'm a HUGE TOS and TOS TV series era fan - I prefer that era over even the TOS feature film era myself.)

The other interesting thing is that the David Cronenberg character stated the other 'Time solder' not only came from the Kelvin timeline; but from 2379 in that timeline - and was a temporal soldier. I don't think that was thrown out there for just no reason - they are probably setting up Section 31 (at least in the 24th century) as being a part of / faction in the temporal wars. As much as I personally hated the TCW as presented in ENT; it appears that they may be making the 'temporal wars' an aspect of the 'Section 31' series; but I suppose we'll find out in time (pun intended ;)).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    J.D., SolarisOne, Ketrick and 3 others like this.
  4. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

But this time I really like the episode and am fending off the haters, so it's like you're visiting the MU. Isn't that worth it? :)

People stumbling into the conversation:

[​IMG]

Shame I can't use a MU McCoy avatar just for this thread.

Vger23, Tommy D, SolarisOne and 6 others like this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Seems like most societies. The elite are all power hungry ghouls willing to sell their own children for influence while normal people are just getting on with their lives. There have been studies on this, people in power think differently and not for the better.

6. Awesome Possum

Yes, he was trolling and you've been used.

SJGardner and KennyB like this.
  7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Lorca better show up after mentioning his name over a dozen times. Would have been fun to show the Enterprise with Pike and Tiberius as well

Ketrick likes this.
  8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of which, I loved the red Culber was wearing. I think medical clothes should be red anyway as it will hide the blood

Kitty Worrier and NCC-73515 like this.
  9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Mirror Pike before Mirror Kirk assassinates him would have been fun to see.

SJGardner, Ketrick and fireproof78 like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to toxic fandom-fans believing they own the franchise itself, rather than just their own emotions and opinions.

11. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

But, other than accepting hugs and not killing everyone, she hasn’t really grown much. And it’s hard to expect growth from a cartoon character. Her whole personality is saying inappropriately violent things. She dumped soup on Tilly today like a mean girl, for heaven’s sake. I like all of Discovery’s main characters, but lord, I could happily never see Phillipa again.

Yistaan likes this.
  12. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just show the assassination. They don't even have to ask Anson back. Just replay the scene where Prime Pike is injured by delta radiation, and replace the cadets screaming Pike's name outside with archive footage of Shatner as Mirror Kirk smiling evilly.

Ketrick likes this.
  13. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why was I "used"?

They were in TNG and DS9

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it will never happen again? O_o
    Maybe find a small one and just put it at the end of each post? :)
    And that's fine. It's not for everyone. I love seeing this different perspective and this arc surprisingly appeals to me despite where I thought this season was going for.

I don't like Georgiou. But I am interested in her character going through changes.

15. Yistaan

As an Asian myself, I'm also upset that Michelle Yeoh's talent is basically wasted on an evil Dragon Lady caricature. And the only other Asian on Discovery, Rhys, hardly gets any screentime.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Alright, I can't argue with that. I'll stick around then!

KennyB and Jadeb like this.
  17. Awesome Possum

You're continued attempt to rationalize what he posted as if it's gospel truth even though you've already seen the episode. Even assuming that Carl is the Guardian of Forever taking on a different form, nothing done violates canon and I'm not sure how that's possible given the direction the story is going. It seems like it's going to end up being Georgiou having to decide between who she is now and who she used to be. It's more about her revelation that she has changed, something that every character has pointed out to her.
    That is growth for someone from the MU. They turn people into soup for not being good enough slaves. Plus I get the feeling that a lot of Georgiou's behavior is more a show than her honest reactions. She's acting like she's expected to behave, but she keeps slipping more and more as she spends more time with Prime humans. Just look at her interactions with the MIrror Saru, she shows kindness and understanding of him. He even points this out to her that it's unusual.

18. Yistaan

Burnham: Carl, where did Georgiou go? What did your door do to her?!

Carl: By the time she's done changing the timeline, you'll find yourself back in the 23rd century, serving a life sentence for mutiny on the Shenzhou! You know, if your brothers had just let me have a starship 900 years ago, it wouldn't have had to come to this.

19. Awesome Possum

Star Trek: The Revenge of God

20. Yistaan

Come on, it's Star Trek: The Wrath of God. This isn't Star Wars.