Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x07 - "Unification III"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
Though I bet Tilly could hold her own with him on an Intellectual level.
Even Stamets has admitted she's no slouch.
Didn't she hack a replicator at age nine to produce only spumoni ice cream? Also, non-canon, but in Una McCormack's tie-in novel, she hacked the sensors of her boarding school at 16 so that they wouldn't notice she escaped until she was already aboard an outbound freighter. Not to mention, she was considered a good enough theoretical engineer at the Academy to be fast-tracked into a midshipman position on Discovery so that she could join a top secret propulsion project. Qualified for an XO position or not, it would be unfair to paint her as anything but highly intelligent.

It amazes me that people who have such a problem with Tilly, for the most part have zero issues with a 14-year-old becoming the helmsman of the Federation flagship 1701-D by TNG's second season, (Not to mention even remaining on the ship as his mother was made head of Starfleet Medical) and near the end of TNG's third season becoming a full-fledged officer, wearing the actual Starfleet active duty uniform; without ever having spent one day at Starfleet Academy itself.

And let's not mention the fact that they kept all these experienced lieutenant commanders, and commanders on one ship; AFTER LOSING a majority of their skilled and experienced ship officers in the Borg cube conflict at the beginning of season 4. In

But hey TNG was true Star Trek.

I’m unsure of the veracity of your claim that those decrying Tilly as XO are more or less the same as those who don’t have an issue with Wesley, and I can only speak for myself, but I have an issue with both examples, and I maintain that the Tilly situation is a terrible decision, even in comparison to other terrible decisions from the history of Trek. It’s way more of an issue than Wesley.

For me, there is a comfortable position that is neither hypocritical nor fails to recognise the obviously poor judgment from Saru. I doubt that it is an accident on the part of the writers, and it’s probably just a plot device, but it’s still blindingly obvious that it’s a bad decision from Saru on a number of levels.

What I do object to is a deflection of criticism due to other parts of the franchise having issues too. Obviously I support pointing out hypocrisy where it exists, but some of us just have a set standard and whenever something breaches that, be it Picard or Saru, or anyone else, then it’s an issue. In this case, a major one.

It should be noted that I’m possibly one of the most vociferous defenders and cheerleaders of the show. I go to bat for it all the time against unfair criticism, and it gets a lot. This, though, I see is absolutely indefensible on the part of Saru in my view. Wesley, or anyone else, doesn’t really change that.

It amazes me that people who have such a problem with Tilly, for the most part have zero issues with a 14-year-old becoming the helmsman of the Federation flagship 1701-D by TNG's second season,
plenty of people were not ok with that aspect on TNG. Also, why every time something doesn’t work on Discovery someone comes out with something that didn’t on TNG 30 years ago?

As said many times, just because something didn’t make sense in a previous story it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to do better.

Seems about an average amount stuff for one episode. Burnham's mom was integral the Ni'Var plot. A random Quwot Milat nun would lack the connection to Burnham.
Tilly's story is a B plot.

And what does that make Gabrielle's return? The C plot? At least one of the three separate plots should've been moved to a different episode.

I’m unsure of the veracity of your claim that those decrying Tilly as XO are more or less the same as those who don’t have an issue with Wesley, and I can only speak for myself, but I have an issue with both examples, and I maintain that the Tilly situation is a terrible decision, even in comparison to other terrible decisions from the history of Trek. It’s way more of an issue than Wesley.
It's the same issue: The writers giving a regular actor something more to do in defiance of logic and who the character is. Lesser examples Troi and Crusher getting command shifts.

It's the same issue: The writers giving a regular actor something more to do in defiance of logic and who the character is. Lesser examples Troi and Crusher getting command shifts.

It might be the same issue if you’re talking about the writing choices, though I could debate that we have to wait and see how this plays out, but when talking about it in terms of leadership decisions then it’s not really the same issue, or if it is then it’s an order of magnitude worse.

It might be the same issue if you’re talking about the writing choices, though I could debate that we have to wait and see how this plays out, but when talking about it in terms of leadership decisions then it’s not really the same issue, or if it is then it’s an order of magnitude worse.
I don't see how. Tilly is a trained officer and Academy graduate with two years in space under some pretty harsh conditions. Wes is a kid, a smart kid, but with no actual training or experience

It's an element of the A plot.

Agree to disagree. In my opinion, there were three separate decent plots that could carried as an A plot of their own episode: the return to Vulcan, the return of Gabrielle and Tilly's journey to her decision. Nothing was given the chance to really breathe and it feels like they are rushing toward conclusions as if each season has to have its own arc or something.

I'm all for letting it played out. There are plenty of strange choices made in Trek that at least paid off some benefits in the long run.

Leaps of logic are also very typically Trek. What I fear is that the writers of Discovery tend to go to them as a matter of course rather than a momentary convenience.

The entire concept of Wesley Crusher was concocted as a narcissistic ego signature by Roddenberry to insert himself as the “brilliant kid” in the show he built. I feel bad for Wil Wheaton eternally carrying that unreasonably insufferable burden and stigma. The less said about it the better. Tilly is worlds above Wesley, on multiple dimensions.

Back