Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x04 - "Forget Me Not"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 4, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Quite a trill ride, I mean thrill ride!

28.4%
  2. 9

32.3%
  3. 8

19.2%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

3.5%
  6. 5

2.6%
  7. 4

0.4%
  8. 3

1.3%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1 - Depressing.

0.4%
  1. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why aren't they even using 32nd century tech to help at all is another question? Did Discovery download the thousand years of stuff they missed from Earth? That would take an entire team to sort through all the info.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That was such a good episode.

Adira is really becoming an amazing character and I can't wait to see them grow as the story goes on. I'm interested to see how their new relationship with Gray develops. It seems like that's meant to be seen as different from how Trill experienced their former hosts, but Adira isn't a Trill and I doubt other hosts were in love with each other so this may be what happens. Also Zora is back, yay!

SolarisOne and SJGardner like this.
  3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Good question. They didn't say that one way or another. If they did, they could ask the Sphere Data to help parse that new 32nd Century info?

saddestmoon and Yistaan like this.
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that actually felt like it was in the "Star Trek" lineage to me. I'm not sure it's exactly what I would have done but it feels like a neo TNG maybe. I actually kind of liked when the show leaned into the weird but this is feeling like maybe a solid direction for the series.

It was different how Saru was so at ease with the AI, that's not usually the direction they go with these.

Deledrius likes this.
  5. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

I liked this episode because I like the new characters and their androgynous teen love a lot. Martin-Green is a great actress. Even seeing her shrug is a joy. As usual, though, the logic in the writing is sloppy.
    • I'm getting tired of the whole "crew is sad. Saru cheers them on" thing. It was 50% of the episode, doesn't feel natural or well handled, and it's getting repetitive. I hope it's over.
    • The sphere is now joining with Disco's AI. Isn't that the kind of thing that killed the universe? Why is it ok now?
    • Why does anyone in Star Trek use melee weapons? Why is Burnham so good on the trigger outside, but just lets herself get trapped in the cave? It's a single entrance. The guards were easy pickings.
    • So the smoke monster from Lost killed Gray? Why isn't this something that needs immediate answers? A whole generation ship important to the cause is lost. How?
    • I'm interested to know why finding the Federation - a body that seems to have no power in the universe any longer, will help Disco figure out the burn mystery and bring folks together. Seems like a goose chase.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, this is my big thing that I really want Discovery to explore is the fact that the spores are sentient in some way and that maybe Discovery's use is actually harmful to them rather than just another form of FTL travel. There is so much potential there to explore. Maybe Stamets is allowed access because they are familiar with them and another interface has been rejected?

I don't know but I want to see it explored more.

Deledrius likes this.
  7. Yistaan

The Section 31 AI Control was evil and used the sphere to kill everyone. Discovery's AI isn't evil. Yeah it falls apart when you look too closely, but this sort of thing has been going on since TOS' "The Ultimate Computer".

No doubt Dr. Daystrom also used his brain as a template for Control :lol:

Deledrius and Mark 2000 like this.
  8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Because it's nice.

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

He wasn’t evil. Just misunderstood

KepperC likes this.
  10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I would hope they also try to use that data to upgrade there weapons' and shields soon, As it stands, Discovery is very fragile to 32nd century ships weapons.

Deledrius likes this.
  11. Yistaan

I thought the implication was that the sphere data somehow protected Discovery from direct quantum torpedo hits in the last episode the way it somehow protected Discovery from destruction in the 23rd century?

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching this episode, I had the thought that Statmets might feel useless if they found an alternate Spore Drive interface. After all, if they had a non-living interface, they would most likely prefer that over continuing to use Statmets because it would be safer, more reliable and not endanger a life. He would be sidelined. Statmets likes being the interface because it makes him feel invaluable to the crew. I got the impression that he dismissed Tilly's ideas because he does not want them to succeed in finding another interface for this very reason.

13. Sarcastic Vulcan Salute

Sarcastic Vulcan Salute Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

'

True, but it was a different style of storytelling. TOS hardly talked about the backstory of even Kirk/Spock/McCoy. Heck, it didn't give Uhura an onscreen first name until the 2009 movie, IIRC.

It was cool to have stories where characters were archetypes if you want to be kind and one- or two-dimensional if you don't.

But I think it's fair for modern day viewers to expect that if a show is going to have subplots about what's going on with characters that the show tries to help us empathize with the characters by going into their backstoriess more than, "I'm Kayla Detmer, I'm a bad-ass pilot, and I have a mechanical doohickey that helps my vision." (I assume. I don't even know if the thing has been explicitly stated or shown to be a vision aid.)

14. Laptopia

Laptopia Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My first 10/10 episode from Discovery, ever. A great stand alone episode that advanced the plot season arc. An actual good use of serial storytelling in an episodic framework. An actual episode of serious character development. More of that in one episode than in two previous seasons.

I thought the dinner scene was excellent and actually showed the tension and stress on the ship rather than just telling about it in commander’s logs and the like. The use of the Trill species was appropriate and not just fan service. They used the species to tell part of the story.

I don’t have much negative to say about it. If you pressed me, I could nitpick it, but really nothing in this episode took me out of it at all, it was absorbing.

Bollie74 and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  15. Laptopia

Laptopia Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, it was very understated, but that is exactly the impression I got as well. He is a classic egotistical jerk that makes everyone feel small, but on the inside he is deeply insecure. It was well handled, and Detmer basically forcing him to confront that about himself at dinner was great.

Llywela, SJGardner and Romulan_spy like this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, I suppose audiences can expect it...I just don't need it.

17. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Except, you know, every time the ship got hijacked to another galaxy, stranded in the past, or nearly destroyed. Would "The Corbomite Maneuver" be better if Sulu had talked about not being able to see his daughter grow up? Would "By Any Other Name" be better if Scotty had lamented never being able to see his sis again if they didn't regain control from the Kelvans?

Llywela likes this.
  18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Character backstory is always much better delivered through context than it is exposition. I'm pretty sure that's the intent with Detmer. (i.e. They're setting up a future B-plot if not an A-plot.)

One thing that is clear with this season is that the writers are really focusing on presenting a coherent theme across all facets of the narrative - something which neither the previous two seasons nor the first season of Picard managed to do.

But it's worked directly into the main plot. And not just the story itself, but within the high-concept and/or McGuffin.

But they also seem to be trying to work it into the visual context, I really liked the licorice laces in the Trill Zone literally retying the dangling strands of severed souls together, creating stronger links of unity.

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

At the end, I think he came to that realization after Demter's outburst. Hence the olive branch to Tilly at the end. So you've hit it right on the dilithium crystal.

SolarisOne, SJGardner and Romulan_spy like this.
  20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Oh. And one more thing that can't be said enough:

Michelle Yeoh is a fucking treasure.