Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x01 - "That Hope Is You, Part 1"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Oct 14, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

16.1%
  2. 9

25.2%
  3. 8

26.0%
  4. 7

15.0%
  5. 6

7.5%
  6. 5

2.8%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

1.2%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.5%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure she was trying to activate those systems while in freefall.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm watching the Ready Room edition of this episode. They're interviewing David Ajala. Great insight into why he decided to play Book.

But that's not why I'm typing this. Something just took me right out of the interview. Nothing David Ajala said. At one point Wil Wheaton says "I'm 48 years old", then I thought, "No, that can't be..." Then I did the math in my head. Wil Wheaton and 48. Just hearing that sounds weird.

EDIT: David Ajala, by the way, has acted with Patrick Stewart on stage.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    SolarisOne and Titus Andronicus like this.
  3. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That was fun. So good to have Disco back.

Just one wish - could they please dose Michael with that stuff every episode? SMG is hilarious - give her a chance to play that rather than the constant heavy drama.

4. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Just say a wizard saved her.

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could, but I don't recall wizards in Star Trek being able to prevent a person's inertia from causing them to be crushed when they stop (or start) fast, while Inertial dampers have specifically been described in Star Trek as being able to do so.

Plus, wasn't her collision a glancing blow? Maybe I didn't see it correctly, but I thought she bounced off the side rather than stopping dead in a head-on.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

If you don’t WANT to like or enjoy it you will always find reasons not to, no matter how thin the reason is. :shrug:

7. Isaac Lawrence

Isaac Lawrence "NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope" Red Shirt

That would be correct...

That would be correct... :lol:

8. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just a couple weeks ago, I actually had a short discussion in which I specifically mentioned Betelgeusians as an example of a lesser-known alien that would be neat to see again. TBH, I wouldn't have guessed that Cosmo was a Betelgeusian, but when I compare the new version with the old, I can definitely see the similarities. His look might not be super faithful to the old design, and yet, it does seem to more closely fit the description of something that could have conceivably evolved from "bird-like leopards," an idea I always had a little trouble buying when I looked at the original version.

I gave this episode a 9, which, in hindsight, might be overly high, but I was just happy to have the show back, plus that last scene surprisingly succeeded in making me rather misty-eyed, which I think is a first for Discovery.*

EDIT: *On second thought, I might have had a similar reaction to "An Obol for Charon."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to think of Burnham as an interesting character who has tremendous intellectual capability, but is still relatively immature and even child-like in terms of her emotional state.

10. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

1. Burnham screams too much.
    2. And when she was drugged up it was kinda silly.
    3. Shakey cam.
    4. This whole Flag thing...a little much pathos. But its an american thing I guess, I get it, its fine.

So...these are my complains over episode one. And I am pleasently surprised that its all minor stuff. After I got exposed to the ending of "Picard", I had not much hope for DISCO season three. Still DISCO does not feel exactly like Star Trek, but I get some Farscape and Andromeda vibes from this and thats good enaugh for me.

jackoverfull likes this.
  11. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the Federation guy finally getting his commission, that was a nice moment but yeah, the flag didn’t do a lot for me.

Nyotarules and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  12. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

It introduced a mainecoon cat. As being a slave (cats have slaves not owners) to such a cat I hereby give it 10/10.

13. Vger23

That’s a lot of what I see right now. Honestly, at this point, we’ve known for a long time who is a fan and who isn’t. Nothing regarding anyone’s opinions here in 30 pages comes as even a mild surprise to me, on either side.

If you don’t like DSC, you’re not suddenly going to bury that bias and magically like this episode. You’re going to find little things that annoy the shit out of you, focus on them, inflate their importance and create reasons to continue to rationalize your opinion.

There were certainly minor imperfections in this episode. People who are huge fans are going to rationalize away those issues. People who don’t like it are going to focus and glom-on to those issues, magnify their importance, and use that as a platform to dislike the episode.

It ain’t rocket science....but it IS extremely predictable. Honestly, it’s amazing how good I’ve gotten at skipping by entire blocks of posts without reading a single word.

im glad it does not feel exactly like Star Trek. 750 hours of the same thing gets a bit monotonous.

14. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it probably a cultural thing.

Certain countries seem more attached to a coloured rag on a stick than others.

Like you it didnt do much for me.

The saddest thing I have ever seen is loads of people crying over a flag at a stadium (guess the country!) :lol:

777, Nyotarules, jackoverfull and 2 others like this.
  15. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I am generally happy with this episode. It's great to see SMG back, and I loved the emotional swings of her interrogation trip. I think that the episode left too many questions unresolved: at least tell us what the prevailing political structures are like. The chase was also a little overwrought. Nonethless, I loved that the episode focused mostly on Burnham's experiences and that Discovery has not yet showed up.

KennyB likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

One thing I've noticed -- and I hope I didn't just jinx it -- is the relative lack of Fandom Menace presence in this thread.

17. Bad Thoughts

I did check out one Fandumb Menace review, and it was just ridiculous. It was MegaRando. She sounded drunk. Most of her critiques either were hypercritical or just seemed to lack relevance.

burningoil, SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Good. I have to assume they're doing their best to rip this apart. They won't ever hold back under any circumstances. So if that's the best she can do...

19. Vger23

I think trying to answer all those questions in a single 50-minute episode is not entirely realistic, neither from a time allotted standpoint nor from a story structure standpoint. And for every fan that would delightfully squee, there’s three who would bitch and moan about the exposition dump this would require...let alone whatever the writers decided to do with the Klingons and Cardassians as being #notmybreen or whatever other asinine pedantic thing we generally freak about.

We fans are a great many things, but “patient” is seemingly not one of those things.

20. Bad Thoughts

Not every question. Just one.