Star Trek Corsets. Discuss.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Arlo, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

Nope, don't like it. Starfleet uniforms are work uniforms. Unless the worker is working the 'red light' decks of the ship, then these are just silly.

2. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Only if your mind is in the gutter.:lol:

3. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The point is that it's supposed to be a uniform of someone representing one of the major powers in this quadrant of the galaxy. There should be a degree of professionalism to a uniform. If it looks like a cosplay or a joke, then it's hardly suitable for a work uniform.

4. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

Exactly. Do female police officers wear 'sexy' uniforms? Female soldiers? Even female mail carriers?

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

depends what you find sexy and who's wearing it. one of my post deliverers wears a red Royal Mail polo shirt and navy blue trousers and looks sexy as hell.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

These "uniforms" don't look any more cosplayish than the ones we got in the series. And honestly, there's no reason-- with a couple of tweaks for comfort-- wouldn't look good as a shipboard uniform.

Well that's apples and oranges, considering that we're not talking about traditional jobs when we're talking about 'Trek. And there's nothing wrong with a woman, or a man, dressing a little sexy on the job.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  7. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Beside our "Postie" is a bloke on a motor bike. lol.

8. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, they really do. From one girl to another, none of them are the same (which has appeal as a costume or a cosplay, sure but) which takes away a bit from professionalism which is a much-needed part of a uniform for a paramilitary organization representing a lot of interests. At least (once TNG hit its stride anyway) TNG-onward, everyone matches and everyone wears pants. Formal, uniform, serious, and functional. What a uniform should be. And you'll never be able to convince me that Dr. Crusher, Jadzia/Ezri Dax, and other female Starfleet officers didn't look great in them.

Uh. Yes. There is. That's why you don't see female recruits in the US Army wearing low-cut halter tops to briefings. Or a high-ranking company executive wearing crotch-hugging shorts with a suit jacket to a business proposal. If the outfits in the OP are meant to be campy or cosplayish, then sure, all in good fun. But otherwise...hoo boy.

9. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wall o' text time! Been a while since I posted one. *cracks knuckles*

Let me preface this by saying that while I personally think these things are pretty ugly (as I do corsets in general), I would not bother coming into this thread just to say that. I don't like them, but that's just me; if people think they are sexy/cute/awesome, hey, more power to you.

The entire reason I'm posting is this notion that they could be used as ACTUAL uniforms in Trek. I find that to be a pretty ridiculous concept. Starfleet is certainly more loose than most real military organizations, but they still HAVE a uniform. TOS was (*ahem* thankfully) the only Trek to have women in a substantially skimpier outfit than men while on duty, but even IN TOS, it still was a uniform... kinda. It was a huge stretch if you ask me, but still a far cry from wearing a corset. It's not a uniform, it's... well, it's a corset!
    I've seen quite a few people making comments along the lines of "Why can't you still be sexy while on duty?" Two things on that: one, someone in an organization like Starfleet needs to look professional, which these DON'T. Two: as others have said, beauty (or sexiness in this case) is in the eye of the beholder. As I mentioned, I don't find corsets to be sexy, I find them hideous. But others might find them sexy, which is fine. My point is that some (such as myself) find a woman in a functional, proper uniform to BE sexy, far sexier than putting her in some skimpy, impractical looking thing and trying to convince me that this is what she wears while on duty. You can't just assume that something like a corset (or Theiss' crappy excuses for female "uniforms") is automatically "more sexy" in some overarching, universal or objective way.

Moving on now to the post by TheGallifreyanSith, which is so full of lapses in logic it made my brain hurt.
    Out of universe? You are correct. If anyone in real life were to don one of these corsets, that's cosplay-ish. If anyone in real life were to don a perfect replica of a TOS or TNG or any other Trek uniform and walk around outside with it, that's ALSO cosplay-ish, no less so really.

But in universe, that's a whole different story. In universe, the corset would still be a corset, and would look VERY cosplay-ish, or like someone was being silly or going to some kind of Starfleet-themed costume party or something. The actual show uniforms, however, do not look cosplay-ish, becuase THEY'RE UNIFORMS. A Starfleet officer wearing a Starfleet uniform isn't cosplaying, they're wearing their work cloths. It's no different than a real-life US army soldier wearing their uniform.

There is only one way to tweak a corset to be comfortable for even everyday activity, let alone exploring alien worlds or fighting off intruders: wear something else. That aside...
    Seriously? You actually think this would fly as a shipboard uniform on an actual Trek show? I find that... completely alien. I have trouble even wrapping my head around it. If someone suddenly started wearing this on a Trek show, I would burst out laughing, and never EVER be able to take that character (and, to some degree, the show) seriously as long as they were in that getup.
    Honestly, I'm having some trouble articulating my response to this particular point, because I'm pretty surprised that anyone would actually NOT find it completely ridiculous to actually see a Starfleet officer wearing that as a duty (or dress) uniform on their television screen. Once again, IT'S NOT A UNIFORM. IT'S A CORSET. Mutually exclusive, if you ask me. Even if you like corsets, it still makes no sense as a uniform for Starfleet.
    This is the big one. I have seen this argument used regarding other points, and it drives me insane, because it's complete crap. They are NOT apples and oranges. Maybe granny smith apples and red delicious apples, at most.

Yes, Trek is fictional, and in the future. Starfleet does not closely resemble our military in every single way. But Starfleet is not simply analogous to NOTHING. It has roots in things that are real. They have ranks and protocols similar to the US Navy, and though they do a lot of things the real military doesn't (and vice versa), they do share one major thing in common: they protect their home nation. This notion that "Well, YOU don't know! They COULD use a corset as a uniform in the 23rd century! You're just basing your reaction on your modern sensibilities." makes absolutely no sense. No, I don't live in the future and cannot interact with Starfleet. But I know they use professional, practical uniforms, and (not counting TOS) men and women wear a very similar uniform. Know how I know this? FROM WATCHING STAR TREK. Fancy that.

The fact that Trek is fictional and in the future is not simply an excuse to just throw in whatever you want, and justify it by saying "It's not real! It's the future! They might think about these things differently from us! You don't know!" It's still BASED on our reality. There are differences, but there are a LOT (TONS when you think about it) of fundamental similarities between human culture of the 21st and 23rd/24th centuries. Each element that you want to add that wouldn't make any sense in modern life must be carefully measured against what we know about life in Trek. Based on what we have seen throughout the many shows and movies, a corset uniform would be so out of place it's laughable.

Trek's setting is not a get out of jail free card to make any batshit idea fly.
    My thoughts on this were covered quite well by RyuRoots, and I touched on the whole "sexiness is in the eye of the beholder" thing myself earlier, so I'll just leave it at that.

10. Braindeer

Braindeer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

...well in that case, everyone's "sexually alive" no matter what they wear. If it's all about having the choice whether or not to wear heels, then...we're all just fine, aren't we? Whether women wear corsets and stillettos or a full on ENT boiler suit, they're all just as "sexually alive" as one another. As long as they "feel like it".

So...that negates the original argument that wearing a corset and high heels makes you more "sexually alive". Doesn't it?

PS. Kudos, Saito S, for the epic post above... :lol:

11. Braindeer

PS. Can I just add that I love how much of a division this has created between the sexes? It's all out war - set phasers to suffrage!

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't, because strangely enough, we're all different people with different tastes and different ways to express ourselves. What makes me feel "sexually alive" may be very different from what makes you feel the same way.

In addition, I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that wearing a corset does more for your sexual awareness than wearing, say, an astronaut suit.

13. noknowes

noknowes Lieutenant Commander

A tv show is set in the real world and must have viewers .making it prudish and sterile and dull and boringly pc is what destroyed tng,vger,ds9,enterdull.

"In addition, I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that wearing a corset does more for your sexual awareness than wearing, say, an astronaut suit."

You are correct.When I wear stockings and a half cup bra and I prance around the hose and give my neighbours a peek I feel edgy and sexually alive.

If I wore granny pants with a burka i Would feel sexually dead.This may explain why arab sheiks seek sexual solace in western prostitutes.

If you don't believe me I ask you to try it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  14. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would it be inappropriate to ask for photographic evidence of this claim?

15. ImperialPhX

ImperialPhX Ensign Newbie

In certain situations, I love to wear a corset. However, I personally find THOSE corsets rather tacky. Improve the design, turn it into an actual bedroom play set, and we're starting to get on track. ;)

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Pretty much what the wife said as well. She loved the idea, but if they're suppose to be TNG she'd want them to show a little more influence and not just a sort of inspired by look.

17. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

What we need are more pictures of sexy women modeling them.

That's what we need.

18. noknowes

noknowes Lieutenant Commander

Not at all.I am delighted to delight you and you give me a email address so I can send you my picture cavorting in sexy clothes.

19. Braindeer

That's exactly what I'm saying. If we all have different tastes and different ideas of what makes us sexually alive, then the original argument that high heels make you MORE sexually alive cannot be true. I don't understand why we're arguing here. I think we agree! :)

Um...isn't that the opposite of what you said above? Maybe I get really hot when I think of astronauts. So wearing the outfit would make me more sexually aware than a corset. We all have different ideas of what's sexy, so you can't say "corsets are sexy" any more than you can say "saggy tights are sexy"!

I think we all agree, some people think corsets are sexy, and some do not. And that is fine. Just as long as no one makes any sweeping statements about how high heels make women feel more sexually alive. Because as a woman who feels like a twat in high heels, I can prove this to be untrue! :lol:

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

I have a bad feeling about this...