Star Trek Continues, Episode 5....

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

As a backer I was able to watch this episode a day early--just now in fact. But I'm not going to give away anything spoilerish for those who haven't seen it yet.

I will say that overall I was very impressed with very few minor quibbles.

I can say I really like the shots of the Enterprise. Simply gorgeous!

I really like the lighting on the bridge in some scenes. Again, really nice.

We all know Dr. MBenga makes an appearance in this story and I quite liked his presence and performance.

I felt the story looked nicely elaborate. They stretched their resources to make this story come alive. And yet it was pure TOS in the way it utliized resources at hand to create a convincing setting. Nicely done.

Yeah, there are a couple of callouts in this story, but in fairness they aren't obtrusive or screaming for attention.

I find the music interesting being a mix of familiar TOS sequences as well as what sound like new arrangements. And I found they blended pretty much seamlessly.

I thought there was only one real logic flaw to the story and yet it's not really a big deal.

I'm going to hold off giving it a rating for now because I don't want to unduly influence anyone's expectations. I can say I liked this episode much better than "The White Iris."

I can also admit relief that any fears I had for this episode after seeing the teaser trailer a week ago went unfounded. They did something along the lines I thought they could do, but they didn't do anything like I was afraid they might do. Bravo.

I also don't want to reveal the title yet either because that, too, could be a bit spoilerish.

2. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

I am absolutely impressed with the scale of the production. An amazing accomplishment given their limitations. I am also impressed with the acting across the board. Great job by all.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I really liked MBenga and I hope we see him again. Chuck Huber brings a bit of gruffness to McCoy that had been lacking before.

I still think the script could have used a bit of polish in some spots. Chekov calling Spock by rank doesn't sound right. He should be calling him "Meester Spock" like most everyonne else does.

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I think Continues is slavish to TOS stylistically but is written in such a way to try to retroactively polish its reputation of modeling utopian society and role-model behavior. White Iris really seemed like an attempt to white-wash Kirk's girl-in-every-port modus-operandi by giving him a guilty conscience. Kind of a guilt-ridden version of the Felini's 8 1/2 hallucinations.

I think this theme of trying to burnish or polish TOS despite being culturally 50 years out of step is reflected in all of the writing so far and whether you agree or disagree with this approach, at least it has a consistent feel to it, like it has a clear reason that it was made besides being just general entertainment.

Yeah, it's pretentious, but then so was TOS.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's been discussed many times over the years, but suffice to say Kirk's "reputation" as a womanizer has always been blown way out of proportion.

6. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I quite enjoyed the episode myself, much more than I did The White Iris. It's difficult to say much more than Warped9 went over without giving too much away. I'd definitely love to see more of Dr. M'Benga in the future as well!

Speaking of the shots of the Enterprise, I LOVED the subtle bluescreen spill that was included in the renders. Makes the CG shots look that much more realistic.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise looks really nice in this episode.

The shot of the ship firing its phasers was really nicely done.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I must say that almost as much as I was anticipating seeing this episode I'm looking forward to the discussion after it's widely released on Saturday. Keeping certain things to myself is akin to not blurting out what you're getting someone for Christmas. :lol:

I think it would also be better to start a new thread of discussion with the episode's title once it's widely known.

10. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe after the weekend, then; give everyone a decent chance to see it.

Can't say enough good about this episode and Chuck Huber in particular.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well one could add spoiler warnings to the new thread.

I'm going to watch the episode again before giving a more complete review.

On another note. I noticed something on STC's website on their "about" page. They describe TOS as covering the first four years of the 5-year mission spanning from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" to "Turnabout Ontruder." From their perspective then STC is chronicling the fifth year of the 5-year mission.

I disagree a bit with this in that I think WNMHGB dares from a period before the ship was refit, uniforms changed and then embarked upon the 5-year mission. So STC could be showing us the highlights of the last year or two because I seriously doubt we'll 40 to 50 episodes from STC.

It's a minor thing and not really important, but I thought it was curious.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

gonna put this in the episode thread

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Along with Lolani, this was one of their two best episodes, IMHO. In a few months when it's fallen off the radar I'm going to feature it again as a Quick Pick Treasure. It did remind me of Farragut's "For Want of a Nail."

14. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

Me too. That was my immediate reaction when the teaser was released.