Star Trek Continues: Episode 3...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, May 26, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have watched Episode 3, "Fairest Of Them All," about five times so far. That along with assessing other people's comments has allowed me to put my thoughts in order regarding this latest effort from Star Trek Continues.

First off I rate this rather highly on primarily two counts. Firstly is that STC is maintaining its commitment to recreating the TOS viewing experience. The attention to detail in terms of sets, costuming, lighting, cinematography and more put STC ahead of the pack in terms of continuing the vibe and sensibilities that were/are such a distinctive element of the original Star Trek. It isn't exactly perfect (realistically it can't be) because every so often more contemporary style elements are introduced, but they are mostly minor and often seamlessly incorporated so that while noticeable I don't find them detrimental or a distraction. Indeed usually these new elements are introduced to good effect. What strikes me is that STC looks like what TOS could look like if properly enhanced as opposed to what CBS did with TOS-R. It looks much closer to what TOS could have looked like with '60's era feature film resources rather than contemporary cgi sensibilities. Again, it isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned good.

Secondly is the writing and choice of stories. STC leans to smaller scale stories that focus more on character drama rather than spaceship battles. It isn't that we don't get to see some run-and-jump and action, but that it's contextual rather than feeling force-fit or the primary element to try to hang a story on. Again this is very much like classic Star Trek. Your mileage may vary on this point, but I find it wonderfully refreshing because it brings back that sense that intelligence is being balanced with enthusiasm for the subject matter.

Regarding Episode 3 more specifically. I admit to wariness early on regarding this story idea. I could imagine all sorts of ways this could have been made overly fannish, but like the two previous STC episodes that didn't happen. Yes, there were little tips-of-the-hat to outside elements and continuity, but they have been quite low-key and unobtrusive.

The overall performances of the cast have been steadily improving with each outing. Vic Mignogna's performance is generally solid and he seems to be growing even more comfortable in the role. He personifies that while this isn't Shatner's Kirk it remains a good evocation. He manages a resonance of Shatner's Kirk without crossing over into mimckry or parody, and I think the entire cast in general manages this albeit some better than others.

Todd Haberkorn's portrayal of Spock has never been closer to what Spock should be like, and I'm of two minds on that in this episode. In this episode Haberkorn seemed much more like Prime Spock rather than Mirror Spock. I would say he finally nailed Prime Spock, but maybe missed just a bit on Mirror Spock. But I can't really fault Haberkorn because I think this depiction of the Mirror Universe doesn't feel quite as scary and nasty as the TOS version seen in "Mirror, Mirror." TOS Mirror Spock had a nasty streak that one certainly didn't want to arouse. I really didn't get that sense with STC's Mirror Spock. I feel the same with STC's Mirror Sulu. The Sulu seen in "Mirror, Mirror" was one slimy bastard that oozed nastiness and relished it. That didn't come across here. TOS's Mirror Sulu wouldn't have given a thought to potential casualties in a firefight.

I didn't have issue with STC's portrayal of Mirror Scotty and Uhura because the Mirror Universe isn't an exact reflection, but rather a distorted one where not everyone is a savage nasty. Indeed, like Haberkorn's portrayal, I thought Chris Doohan's portrayal of Scotty was better than it's already been and seemed even more spot on of Prime Scotty.

I felt that some of the Mirror Enterprise crew turned a bit too easily and Chekov wasn't as nasty as he could have been. Yeah, maybe his time in the agony booth softened him up, but we can only assume so because we don't get to see any introspection on his part. And I expected to see some more backstabbing among the crew.

Which leads me back to Vic Mignogna's portrayal of Mirror Kirk. I think a bit more exposition could have been used to flesh things out better. There is one scene where Mirror Kirk s really rattled by Spock's behaviour and hastily leaves the Bridge. From there on he never really seems to regain his balance. We don't really get to see much of the inherent intelligence and cunning TOS Mirror Spock alluded to in TOS. Note that Prime Kirk didn't act like a tyrant or bully yet Mirror Spock only questioned him on his hesitation to execute the Halkans and allowing Chekov to live after his failed assassination attempt. He didn't question his behaviour in general. This leads me to think there were more similarities between Prime and Mirror Kirk than what was seen in the STC version.

This is where I think a bit more exposition could have been useful in fleshing out the characters and the Mirror Universe in general for the story as a whole to feel more consistent with the original "Mirror, Mirror." So rather than just assuming that jumping across universes really rattled Mirror Kirk (much more so than Prime Kirk) we could have a better understanding of what he had been like before the event. As is it's hard to imagine this Mirror Kirk having gotten as far as he has because he doesn't display anywhere near the resourcefulness and intelligence of Prime Kirk.

All things considered and weighing nitpicky reservations I rate this episode 4 out of 5. If I were judging this solely on execution I would rate it at least 4.5 out of 5, but when I factor in a bit of a miss in terms of world building and characterization I have to cut it down a smidgen.

So, yeah, could have been better, but not by much. That said in three outings Star Trek Continues has leaped way ahead of the pack in terms of recreating the original Star Trek experience. And that certainly includes "official" feature films as well as fan productions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

I've just finished watching it, and I loved it! To me, it felt like the missing 4th series. The production work, I.e. Directing, hair, music, set design, sfx were all first rate. I loved the Galileo cameo too.

Give these guys a Netflix contract already! :)

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just as an aside, daedalus5, I love your avatar. :adore:

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Nitpicks aside, I'd like to re-iterate what I said previously which is that these Continues episodes are some of the best Trek fanfilms out there. I'm not always enamored of every creative decision, but I could say that about just about anything, including films I've worked on. As above, I don't usually comment on the acting in these and I probably shouldn't have in this thread, but I will say that overall the acting on this show is amongst the best I've seen in fan productions (and I shouldn't have been so blunt in one instance). In fact, I still maintain that "Lolani" remains the strongest Trek fanfilm to date because it dares to be about something other than a mere adventure, something I wish more of these films would strive for.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, "Lolani" was exciting and thoughtful. In short, it was fun. I really enjoyed this latest episode, but I do feel that "Lolani" set the bar, and it set it high.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I agree. I've enjoyed all three outings and the most recent was particularly fun, but overall I think "Lolani" is the most like TOS in feeling fresh, moving forward and being about something. And all without relying heavily on revisiting past elements or works. "Lolani" is a story that works not only for TOS, but could also have been done in a more contemporary Trek series like TNG.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the biggest weakness with "Fairest of Them All" was how they handled the Andorians. No way Kirk doesn't go immediately to the bridge when he hears they are coming then there's a huge chunk in the middle where it feels like they've forgotten about them.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ What this episode clearly establishes (or confirms) is that the Mirror Universe is a distorted reflection rather than a perfect one. The Halkans are still total pacifists and not everyone in the crew is automatically savage, bullying and scheming to the same degree.

With that considered it's easy to see that Mirror Kirk needn't automatically be simply a nastier version of Prime Kirk with all other Prime traits intact. Mirror Kirk has a measure of cunning and capacity for scheming and opportunism, but he's nowhere near as intelligent, insightful and resourceful as Prime Kirk. And Mirror Kirk also obviously doesn't have much in the way of foresight.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  9. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Mr. Dorn reprised his role as an ancestor of Worf, I would be quite happy with that, actually.

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see an Orion female as a Starfleet officer, going off the Lolani episode.

I really didn't like the ending, as I thought Kirk could've come up with some way to cheat his way out of the situation, but what's done is done. ST09 got some Orions in some more substantive roles, relatively (Rachel Nichols). It'd be nice to see that in what's set in the Prime universe.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The fact that STC went with a downbeat ending for "Lolani" is actually a bit ballsy. And it's consistent with other TOS episodes that have done the same thing. It's more realistic that the good guys don't always win.

12. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

*ahem* the fan audio production "Star Trek: Excelsior" features a high ranking Orion woman as a major regular character. *ahem*

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched episode 3 again. I have to say, Todd Haberkorn is really starting to grow into the role.

I think later I'll show the wife "Mirror, Mirror" followed by "Fairest" and get her reaction.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That was hysterical! :D

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Captain-First Officer spanking action Fanfic!
    Catchy tune!

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. I was nervous going in since a full episode in the mirror universe – complete with new opening theme – was already done in Enterprise (and “Lolani” was already too close to that series’ “Cogenitor” for my taste). What saved this was, honestly, Todd Haberkorn. He captured Spock extremely well. Unfortunately most of the leads didn't do it for me. Vic was way over the top (much like Bakula was in the same circumstance) and Chris didn’t alter his portrayal of Scotty in the slightest. I really enjoy what he does and he’s close enough to his father’s looks to sell it, but he’s far too light. He has little of his father’s fire. He always looks like an adult trying to explain things to children, if you know what I mean. It’s fine if he didn't want to play “Evil Scotty,” but changing it up a little might have been more effective. Chuck Huber, however, looks like he’ll be more convincing and less “doddering” than Larry Nemecek (who did his best). Sulu… yeah…

I was happy to see Dr. McKennah given a shout in a hilarious cameo but not shoehorned in because of her relationship with Vic. Very well done.

The story was okay, if predictable. I find it hard to believe one starship changing their ways wouldn’t be met with great resistance by the rest of Starfleet. They present it like Spock’s about to go off on missions of peace to change the Empire. Wouldn’t the rest of the dozen ships in the fleet be going after them for their treachery? It all seemed just a bit too easy with Spock leaving the safety of Aux Control to meet Kirk in the briefing room. That Spock and his cronies would just flit around while Kirk searches seemed odd. There was no tension. Surely a ship with an extensive security network (“Sulu’s Security Board”) would be in place to prevent these things from happening. Yet nobody suspects Spock as he nerve pinches guards and takes control.

It was good in that I was entertained and it was short so I wasn’t looking at my watch. But a “slam dunk awesome episode?” I can’t agree. For a fan effort, it was great and a nice little adventure.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ You raise some interesting points I can't really argue with. And this is where they could have used another ten or fifteen minutes to properly flesh things out.

Mirror Kirk does remark that Starfleet will be hunting Spock and the Enterprise so it isn't like this event is the real tipping point. This event is but the first in a likely long chain of events

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was actually surprised at how much I liked it because going in, I thought they were going to somehow have the 'Prime universe' characters involved; but they went the route of ENT's "In a Mirror darkly"; and just made it an 'in mirror universe' story dealing with the immediate aftermath of the events of "Mirror, Mirror".

Stuff I liked:

- 'Mirror Kirk' appeared totally irrational in 'Mirror, Mirror' and in looking at the character, I honestly wondered how he survived to get so far, as he wasn't that bright; and if anything "The Fairest of Them All" drove it home that Mirror Kirk's rise was 99.99% a combo of Spock backing him up; and the Tantalus Field device. I mean hell, when the device didn't work on Spock, it never even occurred to him that "His Woman" or someone might have tampered with it in his absence.

- That Spock did actually want to follow the new philosophy he was preaching by not using the Tantalus Field device of Kirk's; and also being smart enough to realize Kirk would try something at their meeting and taking appropriate precautions.

Minor nitpicks:

- Uhura seemed to toe the Empire line for quite a while, even though she was one of those who saw the 'peaceful' universe first hand. It kind of surprised me that it wasn't until Mirror Kirk really got despotic with wanting to send "Smith" to the brig because she couldn't clear Mirror Scott's overrides.

- I also thought the ending was a bit vague with Spock just saying "Forward." Again, they spent 40 minutes or so showing he can 'play the game' and even he states he is the man with a vision. Thus I think they could have had hiom say something better as I'm sure he knows the Imperial Fleet WILL come after them to hunt them down, etc. Hell, he states he'll ally with the Andorian rebels. Why not have him setting a course to follow them; or at least heading to Andor, as the 3 ships did say "The government of Andoria no longer recognizes the authority of the Terran Empire..."

But again, in the end, minor nitpicks. IMO - It was original and entertaining enough for me, and probably my favorite episode of the three they've released to date.

I do hope "Star Trek Continues" is continuing, and we'll see an episode 4. Well done.