Game Star Trek Bridge Crew, new VR game by Tom Clancy Developers

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Tuskin38, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a good question, is it satisfying enough to play for more than a mission?

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

so they do offer a single-player mode...
    SOURCE
    This week Ubisoft also released some new screenshots of Bridge Crew.
    here:
    http://trekmovie.com/2017/04/29/new...s-roles-explained-gameplay-and-2-player-mode/

some writeups last week
    https://uploadvr.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-tactical-role/

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/24/...-trek-bridge-crew-into-a-multiplayer-vr-game/

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/24/preview-vr-makes-star-trek-bridge-crew-fans-dreams-come-true/

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been looking forward to this one since I first heard about. The concept sounds like it could be a blast, and the gameplay videos have made it look like a lot of fun.

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I've got a few friends who are very keen for this, as they brought the headsets so they can play this and other 3d games.

5. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

When the game comes out, I'll do a cost coparison in terms of upgrading my PC to be able to play the game, or look into getting a PS4. I've read up on the PS4, and it looks like you have to pay a monthly subscrition to be able to play games online, which fgeels like a bit of a con! Has anyone else done the sums yet, to work out the best way to play VR games?

6. Vampire Kirk

Vampire Kirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I need a microphone and adult diapers and I'm set for May 30 and beyond.

That said, when this comes out it'd be nice if there was somewhere for Trek BBS members to get together on PS4 - not sure how that would work...

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Would love to play it. But my vision doesn't play nice with VR.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^Yeah i thought my eyesight was going bad until i realised that these rift and vive prices are actually correct. Lol

BillJ likes this.
  9. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Well, its out today - anyone taken the plunge yet?

If I do get it, I'll probably have to get it on PS4 (and ebay my PS3 off). Sahem you can't rent a complete system for a month to see if its worth it or not!

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it as a recommendation on Steam. No demo unfortunately (Nor do I have all the neccessary equipment) but it looks nice.

11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thought I'd see waaay more talk about this somewhere on these boards. It's fantastic.

I'm on the PSVR and played a few missions both offline and online, captain and engineer roles. Hands down the best Trek video game since that old PC game Starfleet Academy for me. Favorite thing is that it has a random mission generator to increase longevity. They are also patching in voice commands so if you feel like playing offline you can actually order the NPC's with your voice similar to a multiplayer game. "Engage."

The immersion and feeling like part of a crew is such a great experience. If they use this game as a first step and keep adding more stuff it will be truly amazing. All that it mostly lacking for me is I just want some TNG era in it with that LCARS style

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^Price is no doubt the main factor against VR take up and it becoming popular, i don't have a Ps4 so for me to get into any VR gaming would requires almost £600, the rift is a similar price, Vive is again more costly, and as much as i love Trek, £600 is just too much for any gaming experence for me personally, it would have to come way down to under £300 before i even consider VR.

I wonder how long it can keep going with such little take up, on steam there are 0.23% VR users, can they even make money from such a low install base.

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

If it would run at an acceptable frame rate on my win 7 laptop, ibwpuld try it out.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to try it and the PSVR in general, but I have coordination and sensory issues, so I have no idea how I would react to VR. A couple weeks ago, I tried looking for somewhere with a VR demo I could try, but I didn't have any luck.
    To give an example of my issues, when I was a kid I would freak out just when my parents pushed me on swings, and it took me a long time to be able to ride a bike without having to stare down at my feet the whole time. Needless to say, that tended to not end well.:ouch:

15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think VR would work for you.

16. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How does that work exactly? How many variables do they throw in?

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How good is the crewmember AI?

18. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't seem to find any details about the game's storyline/mission campaign in Single Player mode, there is just talk about the VR experience and the controls, but not how the ship handles compared to what is portrayed on the screen or ship controls in the previous games.

Something I find disappointing is that phasers no longer have different arcs (various phaser emitters or arrays placed all over the ship to cover any angle of attack) and that shields are now also a single system (no front, aft, side, dorsal, ventral shields), rather taking away from the tactical experience that other games like Bridge Commander provided and making it more arcade like.
    But this is probably not meant to be such an experience any way as making combat this more complex would probably take away from the party experience.

As for other subjects like alien species, I heard only the Klingons are in this and that there is nothing involving encountering new aliens (or other Star Trek aliens) and communicating with them.

19. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the mission generator I believe it's randomized locations mixed with different objectives but I need to play more to see how deep it goes. The story honestly is nothing to write home about yet, very basic. More like tactical situations than any sort of emotionally involving story. It does get the feel of Trek and the crew working together though, and the sense of "being there." Hopefully this is a start and they add more depth to it

I've found the AI to be pretty good. You can direct the entire mission to the AI from the captains chair with generalized orders, biggest issue is probably the Helm needs a little help navigating sometimes

It's definitely a steep price to get into VR in general I agree, and value wise probably not exactly worth it just for this game alone. With the PSVR the main games that made it worth it to me so far are Battlezone, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7, and Bridge Crew.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you done the VR stuff for Star Wars: Battlefront?