Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Commander Richard, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

15.2%
  2. A

27.0%
  3. A-

20.7%
  4. B+

15.1%
  5. B

7.4%
  6. B-

4.6%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

1.8%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0.3%
  12. D-

0.5%
  13. F

1.6%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't understand what these two points mean. The ships are interacting with the atmosphere, that's where the 're-entry burn' comes from.

2. questionable apprentice

questionable apprentice Ensign Red Shirt

Apparently during atmospheric entry hot gas/air flow past the surface of the body, (the ship).

correcting my error. The swarm ships should have been pushed back or destroyed by the air flowing over the saucer, what I said about the ship getting launched back up is wrong, sorry

3. questionable apprentice

Since the air was flowing backwards, how did the drones get so close to the ships remains?. They would be experiencing more friction from the air hitting them

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm more confused than ever. :)

somebuddyX likes this.
  5. questionable apprentice

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

so Regarding the USS Franklin and her crew I was wondering
    A) how many of the Franklin's crew were former MACOs turned Starfleet officers?
    B) Was the Franklin refitted post the federation to go past Warp 4?

7. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

A) Unknown
    B) Unknown

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I note how intact most of the Franklin was considering it had crashed. Pure luck

Victoria and somebuddyX like this.
  9. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

And that it crashed on that mountain. What were they going to if had crashed on the ground? Get everyone to haul it up the side of the mountain?

Victoria likes this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

That too

somebuddyX likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's fiction. Everything happens the way the storytellers intended. There's no actual "luck" in fiction--it's all planned. It's why fiction doesn't need footnotes.

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. And what's more, it's kind of a fundamental part of what makes fiction interesting to people.

There's a reason 99.99999% of all stories follow weird, unusual, or exceptional people in weird, unusual or exceptional events. The fact that it's not entirely realistic, not mundane, not average, not likely to ever happen for real is the whole point. That's what makes it interesting to watch/read. Because people don't really like stories about stuff they see happen all the time happening exactly the way they expect it to happen to exactly who they expect it to happen to.

13. somebuddyX

You're looking at it from a different perspective than us. We're looking at it in-universe. And in-universe it very much is luck. If the ship had landed anywhere else but a cliff on the side of a mountain the heroes would be screwed. Of course it's not luck from a writer's perspective. They could land the ship anywhere else, and they almost did. The original concept art had the ship found in the middle of a desert. The crew simply get in and lift off because the limitations to the ship didn't exist. In-universe is it possible the crew softlanded the ship up the side of the mountain because they knew they'd need it as launching point? Maybe. If so, I guess it's lucky it turned out that way.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's almost always luck for the story being told. Alter one aspect of a story and it all falls apart.

15. Gingerbread Demon

I wonder if the NX01 could have ever done that kind of thing

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If the story to be told called for it, then yes -- someone would have to think of a (plausible, hopefully) way for that to happen.

But the Enterprise series has its own forum for that sort of discussion. Please don't add to the dozens* of topics you've started in wrong forums, only to ask moderators to move them for you.

It might even be hundreds.
    I haven't counted.
    But it's a lot.

Ovation likes this.
  17. Gingerbread Demon

I will keep that in mind in future sorry

18. somebuddyX

Maybe/maybe not. We saw it fly in the atmosphere in "Storm Front Part 2" but if I had to guess I would think the tv series designers probably thought it couldn't actually lift off on it's own because they thought that ability should be for newer ships, but that's just me guessing.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure if the plot required it, it could.

20. questionable apprentice

I thought it was funny that the previous 2 movies involved the enterprise encountering threats several times more powerful then itself. and somehow ends up surviving those events. only to get absolutely decimated in mere minutes in beyond. yet somehow doesn't get any sort of recognition for what it went through.

its also funny how the ship was probably the largest use of overkill in all of the 3 new movies: using the remains of the ship to squash one person,

lol

Gingerbread Demon likes this.