Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Grade the movie...

• Total voters
Watch Strange New Worlds. If they can totally change Chapel and others, why is changing Khan a no-no?
Since I disagree on the "totally" regarding SNW I will say that I think a change could be made. But, I disagree that he could remain an ally as a full change.
It apparently wasn’t, since they changed him quite a bit.
Well, the BTS back and forth on using Khan/not using Khan was ridiculous so the changes were due to it being a draft of "not Khan." Personally, the menace that comes out in the third act is pure Khan villainy so I do appreciate that touch.

OuMhxEZ.jpg

I'm giving this an A-.

It's a fun film which occasionally veers too far into whimsy but has its heart in the right place. Its a 50th anniversary coming out party celebrating diversity, peace and harmony amongst beings of all kinds, and condemning the violent nature and obsolete thought processes that lead to violence and war. Like some episodes of TOS, it directly suggests we need to leave these behind, and Krall is the symbol of all that nastinessness to leave on the trash heap of history.

The argument could be made this is closer to the usual "vision" claimed by the "Great Bird" Gene Whatshisname than most of the other Trek movies.

This is a winner. Three alien thumbs up.

That's too bad. Seeing it in 2D, it was one of those things where I was like "this must look great in 3D". But 3D conversions are often less than inspired.

Was it made for 3-d? Except for a few notable parts I can't think of any reason why it would need to be 3-d. I mean money sure but movies like avatar are made for it while others are best as is.

Post production conversions nearly always suck. If it's filmed in 3D then I'll happily watch it in that format. I watched beyond in 3D but that was mainly because it was a convenient showing for me on opening night. I don't think it was worth it.

Good grief sir benedict was miscast as Khan. It's not a reflection of the man's acting but I mean wtf were they thinking? Ricardo Mantalbahn sp? was perfect, but hey let's replace him with a brit.

Good grief sir benedict was miscast as Khan. It's not a reflection of the man's acting but I mean wtf were they thinking? Ricardo Mantalbahn sp? was perfect, but hey let's replace him with a brit.
One, wrong movie.

Two, they wanted Benecio del Toro but time ran out and the script wasn't ready. So they went for who was available and they could afford and present some menance.

Three, wrong movie. You might find this one more to your liking.

well it was a discussion and the word Khan was thrown around, with a little trigger statement on my part. But thanks for being the gatekeeper, and a wee bit o trigger for u too hmm

Back