Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Commander Richard, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

15.2%
  2. A

27.0%
  3. A-

20.7%
  4. B+

15.1%
  5. B

7.4%
  6. B-

4.6%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

1.8%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0.3%
  12. D-

0.5%
  13. F

1.6%
  1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Hate to hear this.............

Capture.JPG

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Millions of dollars and only the finest healthcare? He'll be okay. Good on him spreading a positive message.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like he is handling it just fine.

4. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

He's only 47---Luther will be fine.

Richard S. Ta and STEPhon IT like this.
  5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Kind of similar to Edison's videos

Richard S. Ta and Smellmet like this.
  6. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry for him. Hopefully his immune system will spare him any complications. This virus is crazy, many don't show symptoms but can still infect others... it isn't just a flu. Stay safe you all. Too many countries aren't taking this serioustly.

7. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Exactly what I thought.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know what else to do to take it more seriously. My agency is going to phone appointments, restaurants and bars are being shut down, no church services, no sporting events.

It's nuts.

Smellmet likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

People are now going crazy stocking up on things like tea, coffee, and sugar. It's nuts alright.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Go-Captain likes this.
  11. AmbreP

AmbreP Lieutenant Red Shirt

Stoking up on ST gear and books. I must be a trekkie/trukker.
    Star Trek is my comfort media/object. I would kill for a replica STB medical kit and.or just the medical tricorder for a comstume I am planning (my first trek cosplay) as I have only mad costumes for IRL historical education/recreation for my own use. No PT for my compressed nerves/dislocated shoulder with the covid/corona not having medical in person appts.

I really hope all the casts are being careful.....esp the reboots as that would potentially end star trek forever and well many of the actors are around my age....and that would make me feel really old and sad.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Just a thought on this when they showed the photo of Spock on that tablet with the crew from the TOS timeline had me thinking if prime Spock could meet this universe's spock what if the two Kirk's met or other cross overs. Wouldn't that make this also another mirror universe?

13. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

If they went into The Mirror Universe, it would be shatner Kirk there. They would need their own mirror universe for it to be Pine Kirk. So there’s a crossover. XD

14. AmbreP

AmbreP Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thats a hilarious idea. For fiction that could be made to work. But someone who understands the science and a multiverse would have to answer that, IRL. In my opinion since kirk was dead when the new universe with the pine kirk was created, it could still be the same kirk character, but that specific scenario could be a storytelling mess and black hole of complication. Its a predestination vs free will argument in a way. Are mirror universes an alternate universe of opposites or just another alternate universe?

jaime likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

You can either do the sciencey version of it and try to make it all make sense, or the DC comics version where anything and everything can happen. Pretty sure they go with the latter, like a Trek version of Crisis on Infinite Earths (which they're sure to eventually do, crossing over all the current shows and anyone they can get from prior ones)

jaime likes this.
  16. Officer Schröder

Officer Schröder Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Was the best Kelvin movie!

[SPOILERS]

I really liked the way they thought to have discovered a planet unknown to the Federation, but it was visited before.

Jaylah was awesome.

The U.S.S. Franklin design was very good, it really looks like an old ship.

But...

The Enterprise crew should have been dead when the swarm broke through the hull, and, like in the first movie, be sucked out of the ship.

Instead of Starfleet scanners you can use peanuts to get the same effect. Not quite something of the future.

Like seen in Into Darkness, the thrusters need to be powered using the warp core. Since the warp core was destroyed, just how did Scotty activate the thrusters. Still a plothole.

17. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

They couldn't warp away because no nacelles
    Scotty shifted warp power to the impuse engines. I'm not sure why they didn't have normal impulse at that point.

That succeeded

However then the neck was severed, putting the impulse engines without power

Kirk and Uhura then went to separate the saucer

However the thrusters didn't come into it until after the saucer crashed. The thrusters had fuel and were ready to go like a firework, they just needed a spark to start it, which Kirk used his phaser for.

Thrusters wouldn't get them away from the Swarm. The only issue I can see is why they couldn't use independent impulse power from auxiliary generators without separating the saucer. I'm willing to put that down to battle damage.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

19. F. King Daniel

I've really enjoyed all those Starfleet Command commercial videos.
    I did notice the wrong ship graphics on the bridges though, I guess at one point they decided best not have Discovery blow up the Enterprise:lol:

RAMA likes this.
  20. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was the best of the Kelvinverse movies and is up there with the stronger Prime timeline films even in my opinion. The reckless mutineer from the past 2 films who got rewarded (from Cadet to Captain no less) for his erratic actions suddenly disappeared and James T. Kirk actually showed up (where were you the last 2 movies?). The plot twist with Krall and his minions was pretty cool, although I admit that his motivations still needed work (they could have detailed maybe that Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar didn't help in what ended up being an "Earth-Romulan" War and Krall resented that, or something).

I do have complaints with how Spock Prime's death was handled (I think he should have been allowed to return to his timeline, and an offhand reference in the Picard show could have said Spock passed away peacefully at home). It's also hard watching this knowing what happened to Anton soon afterwards.

Paul Weaver likes this.