star trek beyond 2nd anniversary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by pst, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'll agree that the story wasn't the best, but I think the film has a lot of heart - more than the first two. I think that counts for a lot here.

I think it's one of the most thrilling sequences in the franchise, especially on the big screen.

What a waste of money.

Terok Nor and pst like this.
  2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I liked Kevin, Jaylah, life on board the ship and the birthday party scenes, after that another revenge of the impotent male who needs therapy or Jesus plot for the third time in a row bored me. I never bought the DVD unless its going dirt cheap, just to complete my Star Trek DVD collection

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same!

I really am of two minds with regard to Beyond.

To start, the character stuff is brilliant, and that’s my primary reason for loving Star Trek (besides the fact that spaceships and phasers are TEH AWESOME). The chemistry is as close to the “real thing” as we could ever hope to get. Every scene with Karl Urban is an absolute homerun. Kirk is much more like the Kirk we grew to love rather than the impulsive “finding himself as a leader” Kirk that we had in the other films. I also appreciate that the pace and scope are smaller and more manageable than the previous two films, which felt like they barely took the time to take a breath. I also LOVE the nods made to Leonard Nimoy’s passing and the 50th anniversary (really, Spock looking at the old photo). Like the other films, this one also had a ton of heart and good vibes. It just felt fun and exciting and hit all the right chords in that dimension.

My problem is that the flip side of the coin is that it really IS a very pedestrian story. It’s just not that interesting. Someone compared it to Star Trek- Insurrection, which is probably one of the only franchise products that I actively dislike…and I must say I agree with that assessment on a certain level. I also must admit (perhaps because I’m not that smart…I don’t know) that I really don’t understand the plot nor motivations of the bad guys, even 2 years later and having seen the film multiple times. Krall is supposedly pissed about being abandoned on this planet for 100 years or whatever…but he had access to the Franklin and the “swarm” the entire time….so WTF? Why didn’t he get off his ass and leave rather than getting all angry and hating the Federation for inane and barely intelligible reasons.

I also didn’t like the end. I was really hoping that Krall / Eddison would have been shown his path back to humanity again, and would have redeemed himself. And, even worse, there’s a moment where you think he might actually do that when he sees his reflection in the floating glass…but instead he snaps back to being the generic bad guy again and must die a horrific bad guy death.

Overall, I really liked the movie, but I’d be lying to say it wasn’t a pretty big disappointment as well (see, I can be disappointed and still like something…you can keep the two emotions separate…take note people!!!). I thought it was a massive missed opportunity to do something special for the 50th anniversary. Instead, as BillJ said, "it was a fun but forgettable outing."

I liked it better than ID (and I liked ID for the most part...just can't stand the last act, and some of the plot is virtually incomprehensible) and not as much as 2009. Quite honestly, with nearly a decade past since 2009 premiered, I'm starting to think of that as a pretty classic and special film. I think I actually appreciate that more now than when it premiered, and I loved it back then.

Khan 2.0, Smellmet and Nyotarules like this.
  4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yes and no.

I have all the other Trek Blurays/DVD's and can't imagine not keeping the collection up to date. I even purchased the Compendium re-release of 09/STISTID.

I may not have played the '09 Blueray but I did watch it on TV last year...

Smellmet likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I saw Star Trek Beyond the weekend it came out. Simon Pegg has a gift for humor. So, if nothing else, I expected a fun time. I like the way they addressed Spock Prime's (and Leonard Nimoy's) death. The cast photo from TFF was the best way to both honor Leonard Nimoy and celebrate the 50th Anniversary by getting one last look at the original crew.

The destruction of the Enterprise was exciting to watch. Some people might be like "They destroyed the Enterprise!" but I'm calling Mock Outrage. I didn't have any real attachment to this version of the ship -- and I strongly suspect the people pretending to be outraged didn't have any real attachment either -- so we might as well see the fun way it could be destroyed.

Chekov, it can't be stressed enough, had a good chance to shine. I like his scenes with Kirk and the extra beat with him at the end of the film.

Kalara was a good addition. Krall wanted to Make Starfleet Great Again.

What else? Some great Spock/McCoy scenes. Nice callback to TWOK with Kirk celebrating his 30th birthday and melancholy about how he never knew his father and the weight of the realization he's now older than when his father was when he died.

And, a bit it of trivia that I don't know if it was intentional or not: the Enterprise's five-year mission being cut short in the film reminded me of NBC cutting TOS's five-year mission short in real life.

I loved how for all the hype about Sulu being gay, they just show him with his partner and leave it at that. The actual film itself doesn't call attention to Sulu's relationship at all.

The film feels light weight but it's actually not. So it navigates that fine line. I give it an 8 out of 10.

M-Red, Smellmet and pst like this.
  6. Trapper Keeper

Trapper Keeper Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not a bad film. I liked how it tied in with Enterprise series, and I liked the big reveal. However, I honestly have to admit that I usually skip through quite a bit of the movie whenever I re-watch it.

7. JKM

JKM Commander Red Shirt

I was thinking more of the Nebula and Yorktown shots and the space warp bubble. And yes, I was probably being too kind. I know some people really like it so didn't want to come in being Miss negative Nancy. :rommie:

Relayer1 likes this.
  8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Beyond is an entertaining Star Trek film, but I like 2009 and Into Darkness better.

F. King Daniel and Ovation like this.
  9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm of two minds of Beyond. On the one hand, the story is kinda meh and boring. On the other, they fucking nailed the tone of what a modern Star Trek blockbuster should be. 09 and Into Darkness' tone was all wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

I also loved all the characters in Beyond and how they acted. I loved Jayla as a new character. Krall was a shit villain, probably one of the worst ever. I loved the destruction of the Enterprise with small ships instead of a big bad ship of the week. I loved the Franklin and how they used it to save the day. And above all, I fucking love the new 1701-A after only feeling meh about the 1701.

The reason I give Beyond more credit than I should, is that it felt like it righted the ship overall. After Into Darkness, I didn't give two shits if there was ever another Kelvin Timeline film. After Beyond, I definitely am looking forward to Star Trek 4. The way I see it, is if they can make the leap of improvement they did from Into Darkness to Beyond, if they can make that same leap again from Beyond to Star Trek 4, then it might be one of the best Trek films ever made. I will agree that objectively, Beyond is little more than a forgettable adventure, but the part that endears it to me is how well they fixed all the little things that annoyed me about the first 2.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I liked that this Beyond poster was inspired by TMP poster.:biggrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. JKM

JKM Commander Red Shirt

I gotta admit. I really love that Beyond poster. It's part of my Wallpaper on my pc.:adore:

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the advance hype, I was expecting some big thought-provoking ideological challenge to Federation ways. I felt it didn't live up to expectations in that area.

And Idris Elba didn't stand out as much as he could have... partially because he spent much of the movie so heavily caked in alien makeup that you couldn't recognize him!

Kor

JKM and Smellmet like this.
  13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same- they made it sound like this was really a deep issue that was going to challenge the very concept of the Federation and what it stands for. Instead, that basically was just "ME NO LIKE PEACE. ME ANGRY BECAUSE ABANDONED. ME WANT TO DESTROY EVERYTHING NOW!!!" :rolleyes:

14. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Yes, I found that a little disappointing also, I was expecting a more 'Trek' story from when the film was being promoted. I guess the 'unity' theme that ran through it was a small bonus that made up for the story's shortcomings, but I agree, the story and villain are Beyond's weakest points, alongside the crappy fight/motorcycle scene.

15. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I loved Beyond. It had its flaws but so do most Trek movies. I've only seen it once but I'm ready for a rewatch to celebrate its anniversary:beer:

pst and Lance like this.
  16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love it more than the first two. I love that it feels like an unashamed attempt to recapture that seat of the pants TOS style but using the new characters. I admit it doesn't have the freshness of the first two, but I do admire the way it adds a maturity to the characters, particularly Kirk. Yorktown is a great concept, and the movie is veritably oozing with the Trek philosophy (indeed, through the antagonist it actively attempts to deconstruct it, before reaffirming why Starfleet are great.) I rewatched it two nights ago and loved every minute, it left me craving whatever comes next. :)

M-Red and pst like this.
  17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Krall drank the same kool aid as Khan, Shinzon, Nero, Marcus and Harrison

WraithDukat and Vger23 like this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it's about realizing that the bonds of family which the senior staff (and to a lesser extent, the other crewmembers) have developed can even outlast the ship that brought them together.

pst likes this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess that my DVD copies of INSURRECTION and NEMESIS are in the same state. :)

Relayer1 likes this.
  20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It seemed apropos enough to me that the villain was a guy who thought we'd have all been better off if we built a Dyson Sphere around Earth and made the Romulans pay for it.