Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom

Phantom Captain

I would associate myself completely with Karzak's remarks above and expand on them thus:

Very libellous if proven untrue. The producers are hoping to use the project as a springboard into professional producer work. Any accusation of financial shenanigans if proven will quite effectively torpedo that.

As I said above: ball's in "Jeremy"s court.

Red Omega is engaging in a bit of a priori reasoning: he has decided that the charges are false and therefore no investigation is needed. That's not how it works, Red.

Indeed, the "democratisation" of knowledge (aka the "Wikkipedia concept") is doing great damage to the dissemination of factual knowlege. With the elimination of gatekeepers to prevent both general vandals and the True Believers from editing information to fit their tastes, the addage "We have more data than ever, but are far less informed." has never been truer.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^It comes across as mocking.

3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I don't know where to start, so I'm just going to pick out a few of these.

(1) If you make a report to the police THEY know who you are, (or at least can trace where you are calling from) and yes, if you report falsely you can be in trouble. That's DIFFERENT THAN an internet troll who quotes no source and doesn't identify themselves. In fact, your example shows the opposite of what you cite it for.

(2) Woodward and Bernstein knew who Deep Throat was, even though they protected his identity. AGAIN, the person doing the investigation based on the tip KNEW who the tipper was. Again, shows the opposite of what you cite it for.

(3) Madoff's claimed results were statistically impossible. I was personally involved in that matter, and threatened with a lawsuit because of my opposition to him (I have a degree in Economics from Yale and worked on Wall Street before going to law school and working on financially-related legal issues.) Happily, that lawsuit settled immediately when he turned himself into authorities. Other fiduciaries here in New York were being threatened based on NOT being able to reproduce his results. The method he claimed to be using simply made no sense. However, if you are not intimately familiar with investment and game theory and statistics as well as law, and most people aren't, I guess it wasn't obvious.

A similar situation for a filmmaker would be if that person would have to e.g, claim to need $500 million to make a film (a larger budget than most summer blockbusters) or claim they could guarantee millions in box office on a film where they could not charge admission, or other information which is entirely outside both the general run of both pros and do-it-yourself types.

IN CONTRAST Axanar has continuously reported how they are spending money, including admitting to failures which resulted in unanticipated costs.

If Jeremy or somebody here wants to claim foul, they have far more data than I had fighting Madoff, and should be able to show their claims with little trouble. A claim with no showing of accounting mishap by a person who refuses to identify themselves is NOT similar to a call to the police, "Deep Throat" or even the Madoff situation.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Just for the record - is anyone claiming that i09 article was "journalism"?

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That was rather my point. Stated more bluntly, these blogs are "gossip" sites, not news. The problem I see is that a lot of people treat them as "news".

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's rather like it's a site whose purpose is "look at this cool shot of [such-and-such]!" :)

Which actually seems totally fine to me, since it isn't clear to me that io9 affects to be anything more than that, and AFAICT we have segued into discussing the general practice of how investigative journalism ought to work but are none of us any longer defending the particular proposition that anything more than that needed to be said in this case.

7. Phantom

Phantom Captain

I would class them at best as "tabloid journalism", blurring the lines between the two in the way that Gebrigwas talking about.

8. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Axanar's new crowdfunding effort is under way, and their promo video has a new Vulcan-set scene, and visually it's gorgeous...

Not only that, but half their initial $$ goal has already been met in less than a day! (I'm amazed that some trek fans can easily make $10 000 pledges :) )

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K723TV7GZFQ[/yt]

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The open crowdfunding will start at 9am PDT I think. A film in four acts.

10. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

I am so looking forward to this.
    The prelude to axanar was better than anything abrams has ever done

I dont think I have looked forward to any film in my entire life so much.

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

They're already up to almost 160,000 and still in the first 24 hours.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Utter nonsense.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Agreed.

(And I've donated to the Axanar-production and like the results.)

15. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't agree it beat ST09 or STID but it's great seeing quality fan productions.

16. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who's the actress that played the Vulcan minister?

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

:lol:

[​IMG]

18. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine, and I genuinely am looking forward to axanar more than anything trek related in years.

Keep your alternate reality abrams stuff, its simply not for me.

19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I am glad you are excited. But don't oversell. ;)

20. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I would tend to agree. Abrams has done a lot in his career outside of Star Trek. And even if I didn't think the two Trek films were superb (which I do), I'd never submit that a fan film was anywhere near as good (let alone better) than any of Abrams' work.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, yes, but have some perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.