Star Trek 4 Reportedly Shelved

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

yeah Kirk has bad luck I'd be asking for a transfer

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Dee123

Dee123 Cadet Newbie

maybe everyone can start emailing Paramount and their CEO (Jim Gianopulos) asking them to change their mind and carry on making the movie with a lower budget or any other ideas people might have

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Kirk's defence, he didn't lose a single crewman in his first year of command. Yes, he later lost most of them but still... it's something.

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

For a 'we are not the military' organisation they have a higher than average mortality rate lol

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No thanks.

mos6507 likes this.
  6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

It's more a matter of diminishing returns for the TF. Coupled with Bumblebee being Paramount's big holiday season movie. WB had Aquaman, Disney had Mary Poppins, Sony had Into the Spider-Verse. Paramount and Sony have been having a hard time these past several years, with spending money and having their films make it back. Both studios only have 1 hitter to bring in the crowds. Paramount has Mission Impossible and Sony has the Spider-Man IP.

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

looking forward Paramount need to continue with a MI7 (maybe have to have Cruise hand over to some new team leader), do another TF (building on the decent BB reviews and keep the director but doing present day TF sequel. maybe bring back Shia/Megan Fox with Wahlberg for added buzz), and do Tarantinos Trek for 100m..

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the information.

9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The plan a few years ago was to consolidate their compatible IPs. GI Joe and TF in one universe. They already have a Fast and Furious director on payroll. Something like that could get butts in seats and create hype.

As for Trek, they need funding. Maybe collaborate with another studio like MGM did/does with Sony for James Bond.

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Well said. They gave plenty of time for Spock and McCoy to interact but not enough time for Kirk to sort of process what happened. You know the term "down with the ship". A captain is supposed to feel a huge sense of responsibility when the ship is lost and not just shrug it off. A big reason the scene in Star Trek III resonates is the sense that Kirk is making the biggest possible self-sacrifice he can, the ship being his first love. Alternate universe or no, it would be a misread of the character for him not to feel attached to the ship. Of course, it doesn't help that the nuPrise has a look that only a mother could love...

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think they covered kirks expression of loss in beyond beautifully in the scene where you see his reflection in the window of the escape pod as the saucer goes down. He looks devastated. The score in that sequence is fantastic, my favourite bit of music in the kelvin films. It's a brief scene compared to TSFS, yes but I thought it was great nonetheless and I think is a little overlooked.

12. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guess that lady who looks like fem spock was in the original draft too? Or maybe both her and Alice are just used as models for the female officer version of that uniform that we didn't see in beyond.

I remember reading Pegg say that Carol was in the first draft but she wasn't on the ship anyway. Her mention was more an explanation why she left and where she was. Maybe the crew would see her again at Yorktown. I got the sense their headcanon is that she left the ship and started to do the same job she did in tos, anyway.
    It is a bit upsetting to me not because I absolutely need her to be there, but because I care about continuity and I thought stid making her an officer on the ship was another cool way to make this different from tos. I just dislike the vibe I got that they were, indeed, ignoring stid.

Yeah, that part was well done. Also the look him and Uhura share when she sacrifices herself (and later when Krall asks her why she did that for her captain, she replied 'he would've done the same', matter of fact).
    Also when Mccoy notices the 'bees' are taking the escape pods of the crew abd he tells Spock, their faces make you understand what they are thinking.
    I believe the scene is realistic in that everything happens so fast that the characters don't even have the time to show desperation and sadness, nor they can truly process the fact the ship is destroyed and so many of their friends and beloved ones might be dead.
    These are things they probably did later when they are on the planet and everything starts to sink in. For Kirk it's also seeing what is left of the ship.

Lin, however, failed to build on that more, IMO. And when the crew finally reunites one group after another, he doesn't give them a real moment they have earned after such a sad experience. They always have to run and move fast to the next action scene, there aren't many quiet moment where the crew is allowed to feel.
    For example, when Kirk saw Spock and Bones (and the others) alive there should've been more emotion because for what he knew, his friends could've been dead. Spock and Uhura do have a very cute scene where she saves him while he was there to save her, but Lin doesn't even allow them two seconds to, I don't know, hug each other? Not even two people who are in love and must have been terrified for each other get mercy from the narrative of this movie.
    And Sulu? His family lived in Yorktown and that's the place Krall wants to destroy but everything Sulu gets is only a tiny moment where the camera goes on his face and you see concern, but Lin cut the one bonding moment him and Uhura were supposed to have where Sulu would actually talk about his family. What's the point of putting Uhura and Sulu together if you don't give us a glimpse of their friendship? In theory, this is what Pegg&Co were preaching about: the movie developing different and unusual dynamics with characters that didn't interact before. And yet, separating the crew only became a pretext to get old school spock/mccoy (thus a dynamic that is everything but new) while sulu&uhura as well as kirk&chekov were put together without really having any dynamic.

13. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

just wondering, cud that have been...JJ saavik?

presumably when Jahlah was conceived Carol Marcus was jettisoned as too many characters. but just been thinking - was there any need for Jahlah? couldn't Scotty (and then Kirk) have just found the Franklin buried somewhere on the planet (no cloaking device) and then set to work on getting it in the air with bits and pieces from Enterprise.. then you couldve probably had Carol in there somewhere

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's done two vitally important things - firstly it hasn't bombed, and secondly it has shown that it is possible to make a decent Transformers movie.

It's not all fast cuts, flashy effects and explosions with disposable cast members doing senseless things. It's got a heart, gets the robots right and was surprisingly enjoyable. The Transformers fans I know absolutely adored it.

It's a good basis for rebuilding the brand that they had pretty much destroyed. There might be a lesson in there for future Trek movies...

Butters likes this.
  15. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

I think the issue is from later this year people will be getting new movie-quality Star Trek every week on CBS All Access / Netflix, so what makes a movie special? Paramount doesn't want to chance it.

Relayer1 likes this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I'm way more interested in TV Trek than a continuation of the movies.

Maybe if they did a movie that linked into the TV shows, but given a straight choice...

17. Malaika

It isn't the same thing. In the end, you are still talking about actual mainstream movies released the old fashioned way vs stuff that people can only watch if they pay for those Internet services.. and many, especially outside the USA, don't care. Among my friends, few know about discovery and even less watch it. I think CBS is realistic about it.

I also feel the opposite of Relayer1 in that I think I'd be far more interested about TV trek right now if it was linked to the current movies, and I bet discovery lost a lot of potential audience for this reason. I already saw many complain they cast a new Spock for example because for the newer generation of trek fans that got invested thank to these movies, Quinto is their Spock so it feels weird to have another. They also have a hard time reconciling with the fact discovery is another reality and thus will never have links to the movies.

In the end, you get discovery because of these movies too.
    If I were Paramount, I would take advantage of TV trek rather than get discouraged by it. I wouldn't give up the movies and the fact they have their own reality, and I bet other studious wouldn't let it go either.

18. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

I think you need to refresh your perspective to 2019, where more people have seen Bird Box on Netflix in the past 4 weeks than any theatrically released movie all year besides Avengers: Infinity War.

19. Malaika

Few products on Netflix have that kind of success, though. That's why they make it to the news when it happens. In terms of numbers, I think theatrically released movies are still it and I wouldn't consider Netflix&Co a big rival, though they are certaintly gaining more power compared to a decade ago.
    But then again, I also think the two aren't mutually exclusive.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I am surprisingly not really bothered to be honest, and if they want to reboot again with a new cheaper cast i suppose i would enjoy them just as much.