Star Trek 4 Hits A Snag

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Doc Mugatu, Aug 11, 2018.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've felt strongly TNG films should've taken place at least ten years after DS9's run; it would've solved a lot of those random issues.

2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They have to resolve the whole CBS/Paramount schism before you can have seamlessness between Trek on TV and movies.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Hmmmm.... :devil:

No. I know it'll tank. But it would be nice if it weren't for a thing like money. :adore:

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's so early in Discovery's run I wonder what a Discovery movie would be like. The only thing I can come up with is a 2 hour version of what the possible season 2 premiere will be.

5. STEPhon IT

From what I've seen, Discovery really really REALLY wants to be JJTrek, there's nothing on that show which remotely gives me the belief it's tied with TOS. They're not even trying.

Malaika, M-Red, mos6507 and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Garth

In 1999, I was watching "What You Leave Behind". Worf became an Ambassador. My exact thought while watching: "Why are they doing this?! He'll just end up going back to the Enterprise in the next movie anyway!" Then in 2002, Nemesis came out and sure enough...

But by that point I'd just stopped caring. Not in a "Just sit back and enjoy it!" sense but more like "I'm so not surprised. Oh well..."

But back to the Abrams Films and Discovery: there's the JJ Enterprise and then there's the Disco Enterprise. That would be a "fun" debate for sure if the two continuities were merged. One I would not want to touch with a 10,000,000-foot pole. Look at this thread right here. Scary stuff.

If DSC -- for the sake of argument -- wasn't the Prime Timeline, it'd be better to just call it a Third Timeline.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Lance likes this.
  7. STEPhon IT

That was how I felt about the DS9 war seasons, Gul Dukat becoming a demented 1 dimensional character, Wynn making love to him, the Defiant cloaking in Federation space, and when the war was over by Odo simply linking up with big Mama changeling and that was that... something I saw the character perform every time they were together but never had the thought of mind wiping her before. Could've save a lot of lives lost I thought, but Oh well.

Lance likes this.
  8. STEPhon IT

I've been reading this Prime and Kelvin stuff for a long, tired while; was these names or titles mentioned in the JJ movie Star Trek? Where the hell did this stupid crap come from???

CBS can call their world whatever they want to because it's their property, and its okay for DISCO to be a prime timeline because the TOS has the only timeline... which it is TOS timeline.

Lance likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every day I come into this thread hoping to see a link to an article saying everyone's back on board and the movie is happening...

10. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

I may have mentioned this in some other thread, but none other than Philip K. Dick (in his fiction of the very late 1960s) imagined Trek to become completely commodified and generic, such that people would watch "a captain kirk" either at the movies (Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said) or on TV (the story "The Electric Ant"); that was also the name for the role itself, played by interchangeable actors (the main character in Flow My Tears has a conversation about an actor he'd met and detested: "Jeff Pomeroy, who played the captain kirk in the picture" he had recently seen).

One can presume that in such a world, no one would have cared much about continuity and what gets called "canon".

11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I've lost interest. If it happens, great, but they've pretty much killed the momentum of these films. I'm more excited for the new shows. I'll take weekly Trek over once-every-four-years Trek.

Syd Shanshala and Terok Nor like this.
  12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with both?

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing. But at the rate this is going, both aren't going to happen.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My thoughts exactly. I would rather have both.

15. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

The problem is that the once-every-four-years Trek is much better than the weekly Trek, at this point.

16. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^

LOL! Joke of the year!

Lord Garth likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each have their ups and downs.

18. Lord Garth

They would've made more money if they did every two years instead of every four. Roll one out in '09, '11, and '13, keep the momentum going, then put a cap out on it for the 50th Anniversary in 2016.

Then there would've been enough films to keep everyone satisfied and they could release a new one whenever and no one would think anything of it.

BillJ likes this.
  19. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

Every two years would be difficult, but the 4 years between ST09 N STID killed the momentum of this series of movies, IMO

Then the cluster eff of trying to write a movie less than year before it's release for STB and crap tasting promotion of it...

Would've liked the 3 movies to be tied together in a large arching story, would've kept audiences around vs. 1 of baddies

20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

thinking 2011 (or 2012) could've been a less polished and possibly superior STID (with Javier Bardem as Khan who may have been approached before Skyfall and before Benico Del Toro). might've broken 500m as would've been sooner

then 2013 (or 2014 if ST2 was 2012) ST3 ends up being either the Orci/Shatner movie in which case Nimoy couldve appeared - or they might've wanted to shelve that for the anniversary and done something random like Peggs Beyond or something similar to that. either way JJ might have directed again (and if 2014 he not been able to do TFA)

then ST4 in 2016 they do Beyond (or the Orci Shatner movie if they hadnt done it for ST3 - but no George Kirk movie as pretty sure that was born out of the Shatner movie)

instead we got Super8 and Cowboys&Aliens...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Lord Garth likes this.