Star Trek 4 Hits A Snag

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Doc Mugatu, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

@M'Sharak, feel free to censor this too, but you're part of the problem of misinformation and miseducation if you're really doing what you're doing right now.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If you wish to discuss this side issue further, it's customary to take the matter up with the forum moderator via PM. Please don't attempt to argue the point in the open thread, as it tends to disrupt the on-topic discussion already in progress.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Well, I definitely think Star Trek 4 will make more than Star Trek: Nemesis's domestic $43 million ($60 million in today's money). As far as First Contact and Insurrection, I'd have to see how their box-offices translate after inflation.

According to IMDB, FC made $92 million domestically, which translates into $146 million in 2017 money. 2017 is the last year available on the inflation calculator. So, maybe Star Trek 4 would be on the high-end of pre-reboot revenue on the domestic front. Foreign box office would be higher though. The Kelvin Films have made more overseas.

I really think they should either bow out with Star Trek 4 or leave it with Beyond. Always leave them wanting more. Never drag it out to the point of people wondering, "When is it ever going to end?" That's what went wrong before.

Lance likes this.
  4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I was talking about 120m in terms of budget, but worryingly that could also translate to a conversation about domestic box office take, but I think it should clear that easily.

The next one, has got to be something a bit different to the last three, partly down to the likely reduced budget, something more character based, or a tense thriller type instead of OTT stunts and FX. It also needs to be really good and have great word of mouth, and be marketed well to have any chance of success this time.

All the TOS films were very different in style and tone, and the series was all the better for it, maybe it's time for a slight change in approach instead of blindly chasing marvel's dollars over and over.

Who knows, the likes of 'Gravity' and 'Interstellar' made great money in non summer slots. It's worth a try.

Lord Garth likes this.
  5. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Midnights Edge comments on the ST4 situation, and why the Star Trek Kelvin movie franchise has flopped:

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

And it's a testament to him as an actor because his performance transcended the fact that Urban has a bodybuilder physique vs. Kelley's frail ectomporph. Also so sad that McCoy got short-shrifted in the first two films.

Lance likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let me stop you right there.

8. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Check it out. They've done their research, citing information from TheWrap, Deadline, Variety.

It's an accurate presentation of where the Trek movie franchise is now.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've previously cited Doug Fitz and Leslie Owens, two fan nutcakes as sources. Their credibility couldn't be any less.

10. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And there you have it. :techman:

Syd Shanshala, Lance and Smellmet like this.
  11. Lord Garth

Nevertheless, if Paramount can't make a deal with Chris Pine or successfully renegotiate with the rest of the cast, it'll put them in a bind. Either Star Trek 4 doesn't get made or they have to scale down the level of production to afford the actors back.

Probably not the worst thing to lower costs in other areas. It won't be as spectacular-looking but it'll force them to focus less on special effects.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think everyone else is signed. So if it came down to it, they would probably just replace Pine. Though I'm not real eager for that to happen.

Lance and picardjean-luc like this.
  13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a 4th reboot movie. I had some issue with INTO DARKNESS, but generally I really like the new Kirk and crew.

Lance likes this.
  14. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Way too much action & tech gadgetry in the new films. Light on ideas & depth. JJ Abrams is what he is.

And while I am generally not a fan, I do not think you can call the reboot a flop. The first two made tons of cash & the last one was the best movie.

15. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would probably be best to merge JJTrek with Discovery, it may some how help each other. I will never believe DISCO is part of TOS universe.

mos6507 and picardjean-luc like this.
  16. Lord Garth

I'm not going to talk about the TOS/Disco thing. BUT, I think there are lots of people -- on either side of the issue -- who prefer the Abrams Films and DSC not be merged. I'm in the Discovery Camp but I know there are several in the Abrams Camp who feel the same way. That's a case of me seeing eye-to-eye with them but from opposite ends.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I saw various people in this thread that would just scrap the movie all together because of Discovery. I hope something gets worked out because I like going to the movie theater for a Star Trek movie every few years.

18. Lord Garth

They're in the wrong. There should be Trek on TV and in movies. I like the idea of them being separate, independent of my own biases.

The TNG Movies sharing the same time and space as DS9 was something that I wasn't too crazy about way back when. The excuses for Worf appearing became lame to the point where they stopped trying. And Insurrection felt out-of-place during the Dominion War.

I'd rather the same thing not happen with DSC and the Kelvin Films.

19. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about... a Discovery movie?

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only time that worked was First Contact. I just can't begrudge that time though, mainly because I was growing up with Star Trek all around me. It was glorious.

Lance likes this.