ST:TMP BluRay

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Joker, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, more than I expected then. I was generally thinking of books that were considered 'finished' and then went back and revised later on. I don't think I've read any of those (yeah shame on me :shifty:) but would anyone who has care to comment on whether or not they believe the quality was improved by those revisions?

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new Blu Ray edition is indeed a thing of beauty. Some of the extras were lacking really. Could've done without the Starfleet Academy lecture. What was with that? One of the most painfully obvious fan-made First Contact uniforms I've ever seen... complete with tin foil comm badge. Presumably the budget didn't run to rebuying one Christies' auctioned off.

Oh and the Director's Edition DVD? Loved it back in 2002 and still do. My only moan being the ever so slightly off sound FX. They apparently had no trouble remastering the correct noises in Dolby 7.1 for this Theatrical version however. Let's hope they overlay some of this new audio track, next time around.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Do the Blu-Ray versions of the movies use the original burnt-in subtitles for the Klingons and Vulcans, or do they resort to nasty player-generated ones?

IIRC, only TWOK kept the burnt-in subtitles for the DVD releases.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I think they're generated subtitles. But if that's the case, Blu Ray has moved on. They looked pretty decent to me. Not the rough pixelated font from the previous DVD. Those captions looked awful, like something a 80's BBC Micro would've produced. These look properly rounded and placed in the right location on the screen, not outside the frame in the black space. Timed just right. So the Klingon Commander barks a command and it's there, right under his chin.

My PC doesn't have a HD capable drive, but maybe somebody else out there can offer a screen capture.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Generated subtitles were the bane of many a DVD for me. Some of the Bond films in particular - they just distract from the film.

6. destructive

destructive Commander Red Shirt

yes, player-generated subtitles (which can be turned off), which is fine for people like me who have seen the film a million times, have memorized what the alien characters are saying, and can now simply pay attention to what's on screen and not be distracted by needless text

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Tangential to TREK, David Gerrold has reworked a couple of his novels, but the major one is YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN, which gained several chapters and a whole different ending in its popular press reprint (78 or 79 I think.) I had never understood the criticisms of the original until I found a copy in the 80s, but I loved the reworked longer version, which would STILL make for a helluva movie.

That was an author's decision, not a publisher's, which was the case with Trek's KILLING TIME (probably an inspiration for Transformers writers, since there are timetravelling Romulans and Spock in command over Kirk, tho the dif is that KILLING TIME actually is enjoyable and somewhat credible), where they recalled the original because there was too much that could be interpretted as K/S stuff.

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

highdef digest review

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2458/startrek1_tmp.html