ST:TMP BluRay

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Joker, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

I just put on the 1080p BD of ST:TMP.

Not only does the film look fucking amazing, but they seem to have actually improved on some of the shit that should have been done in the DE.

Now, I've never had the pleasure of seeing the film in the theatre. Only fuzzy VHS copies, and the DVD DE. It's possible this is how it looked all along. However, to my eyes...

The opening klingon cruiser shot no longer has any matte lines.

The Enterprise warp effect is a hell of a lot cleaner.

The film, overall, looks cleaner, sharper, and overall fucking fantastic.

Some random screengrabs:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 11

2. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

I am very jealous! So sharp

3. Joker

The matte line around the Klingon aft torpedo has also been fixed.

There seems to be subtle improvements all over the place where the effects are concerned.

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Three questions:

One, how's the approach to starfleet command show look?
    Two, how does the kirk travels to the enterprise segment look?
    Three, How does it sound, the audio mix?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. I'll wait for the Director's Edition. I don't like the theatrical cut.

I know why the DE isn't on Blu-Ray yet (all of the new SFX were only rendered at standard definition, for some reason that defies common sense), but it still pisses me off.

6. Xerxes1979

I noticed these screencaps are 1920x816. Isn't native blue-ray resolution 1920x1080?

I know dvd had non-square pixels. Is that the case with Blue-ray as well?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Like most Trek films, ST:TMP has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. That's what 1920/816 works out to.

So when you show a movie that wide in HD (or on Blu-Ray), you will see the black bars at the top and bottom of the image.

8. Xerxes1979

Boy I feel like an idiot. My bad, it was a long day

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow. especially at capture #3.

10. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

the screenshots look fantastic. Thanks elton.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Dunno about the Klingons (you didn't post any captures of the most egregious matte line moments), but I still see the matte lines around the Enterprise.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I promised myself that i would be happy with my director edition. special edition, DVDs, then i see this....now I'm going to have to get the BR movies as well.

(Haggis & Tatties credit card groans and cries under the weight of the Br moves and TOR BR releases)

13. Joker

12, 13, 14.
    15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 12, 13, 22.

The little bit of the stand holding the pod while it travels around is still there.
    My ears and system are unfortunately unqualified to make a judgement.
    Compare and contrast.

Not difficult to see the improvement. Of course there are still some lines present in the film... the point is that they've cleaned up one of the worst offending sequences in the film, which just happens to be the first thing the audience sees.

Now carry on being predictably unimpressed.

14. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Holy crap, those pictures look good - but I'm perfectly happy with my DVDs. What's next, the Holodeck version? Where does it end???

15. Haggis and tatties

Ahhh I thank you.....i was just about to purchase these movies until i saw that pic of the shuttle arriving at starfleet, and i see its the old original version rather than the updated one with the added effects shots, not that there is anything wrong with the original(i have the video, the special edition video and the original DVD of this version), but I'm now used to The directors special edition with the extra shots......so i will give these a miss, although they look fantastic

My credit card thanks you...i will wait until they release the special edition before i get the movies again.:)

16. Joker

From what I've heard around here, the special edition you refer to will never be released on BluRay.

17. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Won't be for a while either way.

I picked this up yesterday as well and watched the first half of TMP last night. The picture is fantastic to look at, particularly the Kirk shuttling to the Enterprise sequence. Yes, some of the effects look dodgy, but overall, the picture quality itself is superb. I was seriously considering not buying this set, but I'm already glad that I did. Can't wait to see what TWOK looks like!

18. Haggis and tatties

I don't believe in the word "Never" when it come to TPTB making money from Star Trek, releasing only the first 6 movies on BR should be a indication that another BR box set will be on the way with the NG movies, then no doubt a Box set with all the movies on BR, then no doubt the DE BR box set with the first six movies ....and the vicious circle starts all over again.......:lol:

And im still fighting the urge to get that movie box set, those pics look amazing, but i know deep down at some stage the DE will appear on BR, just as they did on DVD.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The images are tons better, but they are also kinda off in some way. I looked at them last night and again this morning, and I'm wondering if they applied that grain erasure algorithm to TMP, like they did to PATTON. It seems like there is some texture missing from the image, which has been described as eliminating detail at one level, while accentuating detail in others.

Reason I say this is that photographic frame blowups from TMP didn't look this bright and sharp on the edges, and they should have.

I'm really intrigued, as I'm sure they didn't actually do any hands-on work to the film this early in its bluray history.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Wrong.