ST Picard - Starships and Technology ADVANCE Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 19, 2019.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New trailer! Dissection to come soon, but to begin with....

How flummoxed did YOU get when you saw the Disco-era shuttles zipping around?

Mark

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume they're just placeholders. The CG is clearly unfinished and rough (look at Data's hairline, which moves independently of his head!)

It's that 23rd century Romulan Bird of Prey that fascinates me. I'm guessing they're pulling whatever they can out of mothballs from the far corners of the former Romulan Empire after their fleet was obliterated in 2387.

Ronald Held and Mark_Nguyen like this.
  3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Going strictly from a ship point of view:

1. The DSC shuttles didn't bother me, mainly because most of the ships/shuttles from DSC would fit right in post-NEM anyway, because they certainly don't look like what I would expect to see ten years before TOS.

2. I'm not sure if that Romulan BoP was supposed to be a century-old ship from the TOS era or a new ship that just happens to resemble a century-old ship from the TOS era, but I find it amusing that I'm seeing a ship with round nacelles in a show set 150 years ahead of a show that shows no ships with round nacelles.

3. I'm intrigued as to what those black stealth-bomber-like ships are. I hope that they're not Section 31 ships, as I've had about enough of them.

4. Was pumped to see the hologram of the Enterprise-D. I would love it if we saw either the Enterprise-E or F as a bad guy ship (i.e. a ship that's hunting Picard and his new crew down from whatever dastardly deeds they're doing :) )

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

With all this space armada stuff going on (apparent Romulan winged ships flying towards an obvious Mars, mysterious kiteships fighting close to an apparent red planet), one is tempted to doubt the initial assumption that Picard's own armada was related to the evacuation of Romulus.

What if instead Picard fought a bitter battle against those Romulans who had survived the supernova and were going for either vengeance or then Lebensraum in the Sol system? Perhaps his defeating of these Romulans is what the rest of the Romulan survivors are so thankful for.

Numerous ships fighting the old-style Romulan BoP. Is either of the initial two the Sirena? We get a good glimpse of her when she goes to warp, and there's much less of this colorful light action there.

Seven of Nine goes John Woo in a room with fallen scientists and floating jellyfish-like devices. A Federation lab or an alien one? Is this the lab that is churning out androids, or something else altogether?

Is this the first time we see escalator stairs in Star Trek, or were there some at Yorktown? The walk-through transporters remain the epitome of nifty.

A floating sky city somewhere off the Californian coast? Have the Ardanans now been upstaged? (And is that the structure being attacked by the kiteships in the later bit of them fighting?)

Timo Saloniemi

5. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just assumed it was a civilian owned ex-StarFleet shuttle.

The person got it via StarFleet Surplus sales =D

DEWLine likes this.
  6. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There might not be only 1x Red Planet in the Galaxy, it could be a totally different Red Planet.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Kirk and Sonak used an escalator to go one level up in TMP; and the Ocampa uber-undertopia had some too, that I can recall offhand. :)

Mark

NCC-73515 and Timo like this.
  8. Timo

Perhaps. But the one in the July trailer is Mars.

Then again, the galaxy has no shortage of Class M planets flaunting a North America (why, in DSC there are two in Sol system alone!). Perhaps Class L planets flaunting a Valles Marineris are also a dime in a dozen?

Timo Saloniemi

NCC-73515 likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Or the planet is Vulcan and the CGI artists just used a CGI Mars minus the icecap as a stand-in, thinking that no one would notice Martian surface features.

10. Timo

And perhaps the shortie titled Children of Mars is actually about the children of Vash and the writer just ctrl-v'd the word Mars because it was on his clipboard, thinking that no one would notice...

We'll see.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, because that's far more plausible than my theory...

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Credit to TrekYards for these images. They moved the weapon emitter to the sides near the wings, though that means the beams in the trailer are coming from nothing. There is also no obvious bridge window. Maybe it doesn't have one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DEWLine and Spaceship Jo like this.
  13. Timo

Well, we saw the original bridge from the inside... Not only did it lack a Kelvin-style window, it had the villains facing inwards in order to see out. Keeping that cool thing would be a big plus!

The protruding doodad at the bow that has been duplicated and moved to the armpits is likely to be the part belching out plasma. "Secondary" weapons are allowed to be all over the ship - but quite possibly the one place they would not be is next to the plasma belcher.

The original "window rows" would suggest a ship bigger than Kirk's. Here the Romulan ship goes against what we suppose is a small civilian craft, and the implied size the sorta also implies that a row of lights never stood for a deck.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Mark_Nguyen

Thread revive! Catching up:

- The mysterious diamond-shaped ships seen attacking the red planet are actually Starfleet. It's been suggested that they're sublight vessels of some kind, but IMO we have shutlepods capable of low warp in this era, so why not B-2 sized/shaped ships too? There are two blue glowey circles on the underside that could be warp plasma grilles of a sort. I also like the off-center placement of the dorsal Starfleet logo. If they're shuttle or runabout sized, would they have individual names?

- We get a bit more uniform bling now, seeing a Romulan (?) officer with a strange looking uniform pip. Provisional ensign? NCO patch? So far we've seen everyone else with TNG-standard round pips.

- Picard's admiral uniform (apparently used in a flashback, as it looks nothing like the grey/red admiral's uniform we see in earlier trailers) seems standard for the mid 2380s, as he also wears this in the prequel comics. And how often have we seen full Admiral pips in this era? They basically didn't exist until alternate AGT Riker, but then a number show up since then, culminating with the four-pip Admiral Paris in "Endgame" (the Star Trek one). Oddly, the not-Picard Admiral in "Future Imperfect" may be a four-bar Admiral going by his insignia, and oddlier still his uniform in that fake future is not unlike the one here.

- The upcoming Picard-era Short Trek "Children of Mars" also uses the DSC-era shuttle model, which seems to frequent a civilian "shuttle stop". Perhaps this helps justify the existence of the shuttle in this era... It's an ancient, originally military design that just WORKS, and it's still in service a century later, much like how we still have ancient DC-3 aircraft plying the skies today.

- Perhaps it hasn't been said much yet, but LAPELS!

- I don't think we've seen new ships in recent trailers. The VFX have been updated on some of them it seems, so we may have some surprises in store - namely a full-sized Federation starship of some kind, I'm still hoping!

Mark

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I doubt the impetus for using DSC shuttles in STP is that they are a ‘tried and true’ design. Rather, that they look advanced enough that using them in a 24th/25th century show wouldn’t bat a viewer’s eye.

16. Mark_Nguyen

Oh, it's absolutely a case of a producer saying "let's just use this existing model, most people won't care about why it's there, and the real nerds will have a field day" to save a few dollars per episode it's needed. But in terms of WHY it's there, we still have to rationalize it. We ARE Trek nerds after all. :)

Mark

DEWLine and NCC-73515 like this.
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, “Children of Mars” will need some rationalization as well, if you’ve seen what ships are docked at Utopia Planitia...

18. Timo

So... What ships do we see there?

TPTB are giving the DSC shuttles new skins for these trailers. Was the one that drops off Picard as Vasquez Rocks (another potential "piece of ancient junk" here used by mercenaries or other shady folks) always yellow? The new POV showing it taking off suggests a rounded bow design - more rounded than the DSC original or not?

Also, ever since the earliest trailers, I've wondered about the yellow beam thing on the sky at 1:21 above. What's that supposed to be?

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. Timo

...Ah, found the 'caps. Magee and Zimmerman, then. Makes perverse in-universe sense: utility types would have no need to keep up with the Joneses, and could remain unchanged for centuries. See Oberth.

Too bad the scenes don't insert any new types in the mix. Would it have been too difficult to use modern NEM workbees in addition with the DSC stuff? Aren't they reusing a NEM spacedock model there anyway?

Timo Saloniemi

DEWLine likes this.
  20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Are they allowed or have access to TNG-VOY ships meshes?