ST Picard - Starships and Technology ADVANCE Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, May 19, 2019.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if Picard doesn't have Irumodic in PIC, we'll know for sure...

Timo Saloniemi

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That, or after AGT he started an aggressive campaign to search for a cure once he realized he was going to get the disease.

Markonian and DEWLine like this.
  3. Timo

...So now we have a trailer.

And the spires on the skyline of LaBarre have been replaced by blocky arcologies. I guess the death of Robert Picard dealt a blow to the community's conservative zoning policies.

Hovering spraying machinery, too. O tempora, o mores. But the beef here, the Romulan disaster and the "armada" involved... A bit ambiguous. And intriguing!

Timo Saloniemi

Markonian likes this.
  4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Captain Captain

I'm sure the Real Estate / Land developers were happy that their thorn in the side was gone! Maybe the fire was a plot by them so they can do what they want!

Ronald Held likes this.
  5. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trailer makes it sound more like Picard quit / retired, rather than was discharged / fired.

6. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

7. Timo

And no doubt whatever is being sprayed is perfectly healthy for all parties involved.

How would the utilization of an "armada" work with the circumstances in which Romulus was destroyed in the 2009 movie? Was there a big evacuation before Spock mounted his ill-fated rescue mission? Or did Picard help the Star Empire cope with the aftermath of the total loss of the homeworld, either by moving folks or by defending them? I guess there's no telling even with the second or third trailer, especially if this is at the focus of the early stories...

Timo Saloniemi

Markonian likes this.
  8. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

Or Robert fell asleep listening to a shellac victrola records and smoking a galoises on a wicker divan under a pergola made of dry recycled bits of Notre Dame roof. zut alors.

9. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Captain Captain

You know too much about how he died, maybe you are part of the conspiracy to develop land!

^_-

XCV330 likes this.
  10. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

One more hectare and I will soon corner the moneyless market on fireproof arcologies in the Haute-Saône, or I would have, if it hadn't been for a certain meddling poster. I admit it, I provided him with the matches.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

m
    Maybe he retired versus being dismissed? An ambassador usually does notnlead an Armada,

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Commodore Commodore

Moreover, the trailer is further proof that France finally got over its hangups with skyscrapers. In 1973, upon completion of the infamously ugly Tour Montparnasse, Paris banned all buildings over 7 stories tall - a regulation that was only slightly relaxed at the beginning of this decade, with new tall builidng being approved only if they met certain thresholds for practicality and visual appeal. Everyone's a critic.

I was only slightly disappointed that the hoversprayer wasn't a workbee. Darned if those things didn't Humvee their way into civilian life over the centuries!

And some people have been wondering if the Chateau Picard brand was new. My feeling is that the winery passed into someone else's hands upon the death of his brother and nephew, maybe his sister in law? Anyway, I'm guessing he only took it over (possibly with some resistance - after all what does he actually know about vino besides consumption?) on retirement and he hadn't been a sommelier in disguise all these years.

Mark

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Fifteen years would be enough time to get reacquainted with the art and science of the vineyards.

14. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

Perhaps this is set in the CBS Mirror Universe? ;-)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Ronald Held likes this.
  15. Tenacity

Except insects?
    As owner he would necessarily have to know how to grow grapes, that's what employees are for.

16. Timo

^Why not the insects, too, though? In modern viniculture, pheromone traps are used for harmlessly defusing the amorous attempts of invertebrae that would otherwise result in procreation and crop damage. Similar soft measures might be Picard's choice, or then de rigeur for generations upon generations of farmers already.

Timo Saloniemi

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  17. DEWLine

Or maybe for diverting said otherwise-pests to locations where their presence might be more beneficial?

18. DEWLine

(Guessing that agriculture is now officially fair game for discussion here?)

Markonian likes this.
  19. Timo

Or the shapes of different types of wine bottle. I mean, can things get more technical than that?

I'm looking forward to a well thought-out futuristic setting where all the CGI contraptions actually have an in-universe purpose. The Picard vineyard may end up being a key location - or then something dropped immediately after the first episode. But doing futuristic raising of grapes is an easy way to accomplish what the interviews or marketing phrases promise: a down-to-Earth future, relatable and identifiable.

Timo Saloniemi

20. Tenacity

No! The insects must die!

Lazarus: "Kill, kill, kill ..."