Spoilers ST Discovery - Starships and Technology Season Four Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, Nov 2, 2021.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's still much appreciated. More than you realize.
    Ok. I'm happy for you. That sounds like a very happy life.
    Respectfully, I will completely disagree. And the multiple repeatings throughout this thread have made it appear very personal, extremely vindictive, and not meant to teach anyone a damn thing. Just punishment for daring to make an inferior product. So, fuck 'em. Sorry, no more livelihood for you. No learning, nor teachable moment, no do better, just fuck 'em.

I hope it works well for you in life. But, I prefer humanity to "it's just business."

2. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome, I'm happy for you.

I'm fine with it.

They can pick them selves up and go work some where else.

People do it all the time. There's more than one writing job in Hollywood & the world.

The countless years of criticism from me and many others of various Trek fans on countless Trek forums across the internet should've given the writing staff more than enough info on what to fix.

Yet there hasn't been enough fixes.

They either don't care about their customer feed back, or they don't want to listen.

How many times can somebody screw up at their job before you have to let them go?

How many times can somebody anger your customers before you will fire them?

What will it take for you to release somebody from your employ?

How much damage must said employee(s) do to your company/product/brand before you release them and hire somebody else to do their job?

I hope you never get disappointed at a product/service you may like overall, but dislike what they're giving you at the moment; by rewarding them repeatedly with your views / money / patronage / etc.

Hoping that they'll change eventually and satisfy you since you're rewarding them and hoping that they'll do better in the future and eventually meet all your personal expectations as a product/service.

If the product/service ends up disappointing you repeatedly, and you keep rewarding them; regardless of failures to satsify your expectations as the end consumer, I hope you're happy with the disappointing product/service you're getting since you prefered "Humanity" over "Business".

God forbid they fire somebody & hire new employees to improve their product/service to meet your expectations and make you a happy customer.
    That's "Inhumane" to fire said sap(s) who kept screwing things up. They deserve a infinite amount of chances to fix things and maybe get things right someday.

In the mean time, you can put up with the disappointing product/service, right?
    You're going to keep coming back next time and giving them your views / money / patronage / etc.
    So you can put up with the disappointment for however long it takes, right?
    Doesn't matter if it's a month, a year, a decade, a century, a millenium.
    Your patience is appreciated.

They'll get it right eventually, I think, hopefully, TBD (To Be Determined) when that'll happen...

The disappointing product/service can muddle around until they get it right on the n-th time. Right?

Your patience is seemingly limit-less & your humanity won't let said poor sap(s) get fired from their job just because they're disappointing you as the end customer. Think of the poor sap who isn't good at satisfying YOU, the customer. What if they get fired, what will happen to them?

But you'll keep coming back, rewarding them; so they don't really have to change since you keep rewarding them. The incentive to change and satisfy you isn't really there.

So I hope you enjoy your disappointing product/service from said company. One day, they might get it right and give you what you wanted and make you happy. Until then, you should keep on rewarding them! Your patience is greatly appreciated. One day, they'll get it right, I think, maybe, cross your fingers.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is a bit off topic.

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I agree. Can we get back to talking about Star Trek Discovery?

saddestmoon and Ronald Held like this.
  5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahem.

There’s a bar on the ship now!

Mark

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. fireproof78

The interiors of the ship are becoming my favorite.

7. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

I rewatched them station destruction scene and it does not indicate the retcon loss of tricomm transporters.

Tilly says they cannot beam out due to local interference, while Discovery cannot beam people in due to its Heisenberg compensator being damaged.

So no one can beam to the station because they would get stuck, though it means they could have breamed space suits or programmable matter out to the station by sacrificing a tricomm. They could have sent shuttles too to get everyone off in one shot, dock them through the escape pod hatch, build a dual connection with programmable matter or force fields. Even if they don’t have shuttles it should be a matter of programmable matter or Prodigy shuttle replicator making them in seconds.

This still ignores shuttles should have transporter systems among other things or how easy a transporter should be to be built with programmable matter and shuttle size replicators.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Between hygmap.space and Celestia, I tentatively assume a distance between Trill (GJ 9417/HD111456) and Ni'Var/Nevasa (40 Eri) of about 86.5 light-years (pending correction by Gaia Mission data). And Guardian Xi was able to do real-time telepresence work with Grey...

Mike McDevitt likes this.
  9. KamenRiderBlade

We should all thank Reginald Barclay for being part of 'Project PathFinder' and help R&D Hyper Subspace Radio communications and the Relay Networks that allows you to sent SubSpace Radio in the Hyper SubSpace realm so you can have enough bandwidth and low enough latency for real time Holographic Communications in the future.

DEWLine likes this.
  10. fireproof78

Now that's distance learning.

11. Mike McDevitt

Mike McDevitt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gray Tal’s audio medical log for Zora on instagram calls his procedure “sentience transplantation and translation”. Long ago in "Facets" this seemed to require the transfer of some manner of visible energy via physical contact of the hosts' necks and the Guardian's hands, possibly with the aid of the glop from the symbiont pools. For joined Trills, a run-of-the-mill ritual. Standard Star Trek Scenario. But who wants to be the first lucky contestant on: Subspace Skype Your Soul?

DEWLine and Mark_Nguyen like this.
  12. Mark_Nguyen

I always thought that the facilitator had to be a telepath, but then I guess I could be confusing the process with the Vulcan Fal Tor Pan (the re-fusion).

As such, I guess we can accept that symbiote glop is the conduit for the transference of essence from one to another, and the energy discharge could be because the Guardians spend so much time in it that they literally are said conduit. I can accept that they've medically replaced the need for glop or actual Guardian, so in the end Xi (not Xed, despite filming the show in Canada) is really just needed to supervise the process.

Also, we don't know if the truth of symbiotes being suitable for up to half of Trills under normal circumstances has ever been made public, so I wonder if that was a factor over the years for transference being both survivable and routine enough that Guardians don't need to literally be in the room. Adira having no need of additional medical aid to sustain their symbiote suggests that they've evolved beyond poor Riker's experience with the worm.

Mark

13. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

We see a new shuttle design, I think. It was really hard to see the shuttles in the last season.

And the Noble returns for a brief cameo and we learn a little more about the Armstrong.

14. KamenRiderBlade

Does anybody get Futurama vibes from the new shuttle?

It feels so "Rounded"

15. DEWLine

The idea of zhian'tara and fal tor pan being based in similar bio/neural "technologies"..hmmm. Various people had to have been investigating that thought across the centuries once the existence of these practices became public knowledge, right?

16. Mike McDevitt

Fal-tor-pan could be exceedingly rare and even the only example we know of may have been kept fairly secret, but one wonders why? Certainly even logical people would explore the value in extended lives, provided you're not curtailing someone else' life, stealing a body meant for another. Psionic tech is a fascinating question- 24th century Vidiians and Kobliad had some limited examples of sentience transplantation, the Arretians, Saltah'na and maybe Zetarians had their own versions of the katric arks. The android Sutra could mind meld with a human, as Spock could meld with advanced AI. There are probably a ton of examples I'm forgetting, because my meat-based memory is not directly supplemented by machine interface.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Mark_Nguyen likes this.
  17. Mark_Nguyen

- The new shuttles remind me a lot of the Orville shuttle design, at least on the outside. On the interior, they are remarkably centerlined with a forward pilot station AND a CO chair! I guess the station along the rim of the cabin can be moved around and configured for even or odd numbers of crew depending on the mission and situation, but the center chair is an interesting deviation from what we know so far. I wonder what chair is normally occupied if someone is flying a shuttle solo?

- We have the first stardate since we arrived in the 32nd, and it doesn't make any real sense compared to what we've seen before either. Discovery has never really been good with these, though.

- Vulcans have houses made of bricks and mortar now. :)

- The emergency kit gives us something we've always wanted: a device that creates a tool as needed (or perhaps pulls it out of a transport buffer).

- You'd think that phasers 930+ years hence would be better at vaporizing scary monsters. Here they're as useless as the plot demands, but even in the 23rd century you could evaporate people in an instant. Heck, last season people had more destructive hand weapons. I guess the scary monsters were just scary resistant to phasers.

- The big ready room from the last two seasons seems to have now found use as Culber's shrink office, or at least part of it has. It may not be the same room, but it's got two of its windows and lots of the same wall design.

- Cadet uniforms seem to have regressed back to single colors. Chronologically the last time we saw them were Red Squad, not counting the "Endgame" pajamas which were also of a single color scheme. At least they still have dress uniforms.

- But I wasn't looking THAT closely, but are cadet combadges different? They have neck pins of some kind too? But they seemed pretty uniform (sic) between the cadets we have here.

- Gray has grown his hair long pretty fast. As I understand it this is the actor's real hair, but is this a synth body thing or a futuristic hair thing?

Mark

18. DEWLine

Seems as if there's three compartment modules of like design. One's the ready room, another is Culber's office, and is there a third acting as the ship's bar? Or am I seeing things wrongly?

19. Mike McDevitt

Captain Burnham’s log is only a week after their nun hunt, and it’s a lot of hair for a human, but Gray can perhaps control his rate of follicle replenishment like the ancient Soong-type Data with his fine, full, beard.

Ronald Held likes this.
  20. DEWLine

Wondering if "Theta Helios" was originally intended to have some other name...?