Spock's character is overexposed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by valden, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Ploomeek is hard to digest.

2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Arrrrr .... foiled again by Captain Spell Check.

Richard S. Ta and Danja like this.
  3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When was it stated that he hadn't seen T'Pring since he was 7? I just rewatched Amok Time, and I don't recall hearing anything about that. Just that they were bonded at 7, nothing about never seeing each other in the decades after that. Did I miss something or is it in another episode?

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It was never stated. One of those fan assumptions.

"But why wouldn't Spock have a more recent picture?"

Because, duh, the writer wanted to obscure the fact that Spock already had a mate, and to use that reveal to close Act Two with a nice hook.

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would assume that is from the bonding ceremony. People do tend to refer back to pictures of significant moments in ones life, so that's a pretty dumb response. Especially since its referencing their final ceremony.....

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Aaand once again ... this thread may be exactly on the mark ...

[​IMG]

:lol:

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Will we finally find out if it's bifurcated?

But this is Spock in his experimental stage. He's yet to meet his one, true Space Husband—James T. Kirk!

Richard S. Ta, indranee, Sci and 7 others like this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who is that? Are you joshing us with a fake character?

9. Nerys Myk

Damn, caught again.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

It’s debatable whether this show would even exist without Spock as part of it.

Going back to the two Pilots of the original series. Imagine if Roddenberry had not renamed the Captain. But Shatner was a recast Christopher Pike. It would have been hard to include that first pilot as backstory. It would be an unaired footnote. There are many pilots that recast and never air.

More importantly what if Spock was recast after that first pIlot. Spock/Nimoy continuing in the role and his relationship with Pike is what the whole concept of the Menagerie framing story is build upon. Really what has keep Captain Pike years alive in the imagination of diehard fans all this time.

Plus it’s frickening Spock! The most iconic character in the whole franchise. Someone everyone knows, even non fans. Naturally they are going to use him as an entry point for selling this show. Does not mean every episode will need to be about him though.

11. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, I think SPike have potential!

12. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Spock says that it is logical for them to kiss, not that he loves her and that he actually wants to kiss. Being gay is not logical from a scientific reproductive perspective as it does not lead to the continuation of life via production of an offspring. Maybe this is something that he is battling with in that Human/Vulcan fight scene? The logical Vulcan is thinking scientifically and trying to beat the cr*p out of the emotional gay human side of his persona which is following his heart not logic? In other words, as an oxymoron, he hates himself for being gay but as a Vulcan can’t actually hate himself? Have I used the word oxymoron correctly btw? I honestly don’t know! I probably have used the word out of context but please don’t judge me as I thought that it was the right word to use. :shrug:

13. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

The Good Place filter is off. :guffaw:

Richard S. Ta, DaveyNY and GNDN18 like this.
  14. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait until the Season 2 trailer with Kirk...

Danja likes this.
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In SNW, what exactly is Spock's rank?

He was a Lieutenant in DSC. I've seen certain news items which imply that by the time of SNW he's made LCDR. Can anyone confirm?

16. Nerys Myk

Thought I saw a single stripe in some of the pics and trailers.

Ronald Held likes this.
  17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lots of gay people have biological offspring.

Also, gay people evolved right along with straight people.

So, your statement depends upon one or more false assumptions about what is logical when it comes to species reproduction.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please. Spock is the original "Spike." The Spock of TOS did exactly that -- completely took over the show to the point where the series lead got insecure and jealous.

If that were true, evolution would not so consistently select for about 10% of the population to be queer. Having recessive genes that in combination lead to a certain percentage of a population being biologically capable of reproduction but disinclined towards reproductive behavior might in fact be an advantageous from an evolutionary standpoint -- providing flexibility for the population, a "safety valve" that doesn't use up as many resources in good times but which can engage in reproduction when necessary in a population crash.

I think you're starting from a false a priori assumption that Vulcans would have the same taboo against homosexuality that some Humans have today. I would instead suggest that to Vulcans, neither heterosexual nor homosexual activity what matters; what matters is that overt sexuality threatens emotional repression. It's not the homo- part that's taboo -- it's the sexuality part.

20. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Which fits. But at least one script error in the first season of TOS has Kirk introducing him (to Captain Christopher in "Tomorrow is Yesterday") as Lt. Commander Spock, despite wearing 2 solid stripes.