Spock/Leonard Nimoy Apprecation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by KirkSpockTOSFan, Jan 31, 2010.

1. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

That video looks pretty cool,anyways what is that black & white movie called that's pictured earler?

2. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

It's The Balcony from 1963.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

For those of you in the Seattle area, Mr. Nimoy is appearing this weekend at Emerald City ComiCon.

4. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

Nimoy fans:

ontd_startrek reported recently that The Big Bang Theory is hoping to get Mr. Nimoy to guest star on an episode. For those who don't watch the show, the main character, Sheldon, is an uber science geek who has idolized Nimoy since he was a child.

I would be so excited to see Nimoy on the show. I can't imagine Sheldon's reaction! :)

5. KirkSpockTOSFan

Okay, thank you.

6. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Hang in here, Warped 9. I'm with you there. Just breathe deeply and the feeling will pass.

7. Tribbles

I think startrekrcks' question is relevant to the thread if we focus on Nimoy's role in the scene and the movie in general.

I was impressed with the sense of gravitas Nimoy portrays with seeming ease. I found myself being still and silent during his scenes, and I was watching the new movie as a person mostly unfamiliar with the original series. I loved the new actors, but there was no doubt who owned the role of Spock even from the perspective of a young newbie like myself. :)

I'll admit, there were a couple of lines from Spock Prime that didn't set well with me, but that's not Nimoy's fault (one was "Since my customary greeting would seem oddly self-serving..." What? Isn't that a Vulcan greeting in general, not Spock's greeting?). Overall though, he was a wise, venerable figure that I think was needed amongst a cast of mostly young people (the wonderful Pike excluded). He seemed perfectly comfortable in his role. Now that I've watched the original series and movies featuring the character, I can appreciate his portrayal of an elder Spock even more.

8. KirkSpockTOSFan

I dont' know if anybody knows this or not but there was some news on Trek Today about Nimoy. The news was that he is retireing from being Spock. Which means he probly wont be doing any more apperances as Spock Prime in future movies. And he is also retieing from the convetions as well. He said that this will be the very last year he does convetions. So if you would like to see him in person this might be our last chance to see him at convetions, so I would if I were you take the full oppertunty to go. I know I plan on going again and see him one last time before he retires from it. I'm sad to not to see him anymore in any Star Trek events and apperances, but I can understand why he wants to stop. He is 79 years old or will be and he just wants time with his family and photogrphy. I know I will miss him, but I wish him well. Peace and long life "Spock".

9. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

I'm kinda sad that he is retiring from the convention scene. Would have liked seeing him at least once. I don't know if he has any appearances in Europe this year..

10. KirkSpockTOSFan

I know there are several convetions here in the U.S.A that he will be making an apreance at.I know Im going to try to go and see him at the one in Las Vegas here in August.I just want to see him one last time before he retires.

11. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

There's always the occasional book tour for his photography. That's the only way I've ever seen him in person.

12. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

That's a good plan, I would go too if I were on that side of the globe.

13. Tribbles

Nimoy admirers, I thought you all might like to know (if you don't already) that Mr. Nimoy now has a twitter account: http://twitter.com/theRealNimoy

My favorite thing is his exchange with Shatner:
    @WilliamShatner Hey Bil. Leonard here. Following you. Hope to see you soon
    @TheRealNimoy Leonard, following me is a good idea. Seeing me is a better idea. I'll take you out to dinner soon. My best, Bill

Awwww. Now if that doesn't make you smile, what will? :)

14. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

it seems that Bill and Leonard have been best friends for ages isn't that great to know

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

theRealNimoy :D Catchy.