Spock and Uhura [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Professor Moriarty, May 8, 2009.

1. seniorsleuth

seniorsleuth Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes I noticed it, but they might have emphasized it tad more with the camera. At that point, he's gotten past some remaining bit of resistance to trying to integrate his human half.

2. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Spock and Uhura

I like Spock & Uhura and I hope we see more of them. In this movie, it serves as a twofer.

It's the fastest way to show how nuSpock is dealing with emotions after choosing to leave Vulcan and go to the Academy.

And, in a movie that has Spock Prime telling Kirk how important their freindship was to both of them, it stomps really hard on the slashers.

3. Scribe34

Scribe34 Commander Red Shirt

This one is good too - shows Spock Prime's thoughts.

http://www.openscrolls.net/fanfic/story.php?no=4050

An Illogical Woman

4. seniorsleuth

I'm not sure stomping on slashers is what they had in mind, but I have to agree that there is something about the slash mode of identification that always ends up minimizing female characters' roles, and I'm glad that doesn't seem to be happening here. I'm all for bringing on a real gay relationship between two male characters, as long as it's handled as subtly as Spock/Uhura. And I'm all for Spock/Kirk friendship, too. Both men and women should be able to have close friends without it getting in the way with the romantic friendship/initimacy they have with someone else.

5. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What, tonguing each other on the transporter pad? :lol:

6. ShimmeringFacet

ShimmeringFacet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

uhh, they weren't tongue kissing.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think K/S slashers can be stomped upon. they've been around a looooooooong time and they'll survive. :lol:

8. Anticitizen

I'm sorry, I should've said "sucking face."

9. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

If you need proof, go check Fanfiction.net. It's interesting to say the least. :p

10. ShimmeringFacet

ShimmeringFacet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I guess that's the exaggerated, pejorative term you'd use if the kissing disgusted and offended you.

I find the neutral, accurately descriptive term kissing to be perfectly adequate for my uses, though. ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  11. Anticitizen

It was merely a jab at the previous poster's claim that it was 'subtle'.

12. seniorsleuth

Their mouths were completely closed, so there was no sucking or tonguing. It was about as chaste and subtle as it gets. And while I can't speak for others, I wouldn't mind at all if they did exactly this with a gay couple. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they did even more with a gay couple.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  13. Omega_Glory

Omega_Glory Commodore

It was pretty much a given even before the turbolift scene. In the shuttlebay there was more than just a hint that she and Spock were getting it on.

14. Nebula1400

Nebula1400 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It seems so. Spock's demeanor - the body language - the entire time in that scene was different than with anybody else. Zachary Quinto played that well, because Spock seemed genuinely amused, if not pleased, to have her nagging him (very much like my son is with his girlfriend). Plus not once did he contradict her or say anything that wasn't positive about her.

I think we're going to get a Spock who will be even more conflicted about his dual heritage than Spock Prime. There will be the inevitable struggle between his obligation to adhere to the Vulcan way of life to preserve what is left of Vulcan, but his human side will betray him even more as a result of his mother's mother's death, Uhura's companionship, and what he might interpret as permission from both his father and his older self to go with his feelings.

I wish this was a weekly series instead of a once-in-a-blue-moon movie event!

15. seniorsleuth

The first time I saw the scene my ears perked up, even though it wasn't certain that the "favoritism" referred to a romance, but could have been an otherwise innocent "teacher's pet" sort of thing. But I did notice Spock's bemusement and thought back to it when the revelation came. Quinto did indeed play the scene well.

Yes, I think this will make Spock's duality different but no less interesting than that of Spock Prime. But, I trust that in honor of his mother, if for no ther reason, he won't turn completely to the Vulcan way for the sake of preserving Vulcan purity and sense of superiority.

16. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Agreed.

The British playwright Tom Stoppard indeed gave us the most interesting "Hamlet" derived play/film Rosencrantz and GUildenstern Are Dead.

17. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

That shuttle bay scene was an "aha!" moment for me as well. Having avoided almost all spoilers, I was completely innocent of the romance before seeing XI. The actors, especially Quinto, played it beautifully, plus the dialog about Spock's not wishing to show favoritism is a dead give-away. Not even NuSpock would be worried about the appearance of favoritism regarding a favored student. But someone with whom he had an intimate relationship? Whole 'nother thing. So I assumed that there was something more than a teacher's pet relationship going on from that point forward.
    I

18. indranee

yep. I've loved that play for a long time. the movie (directed by Stoppard, as well, I think) was excellent. though I'd take the play over a movie any day.

19. indranee

to me, the biggest "giveaway" was Quinto's quick "look-around" before saying that line "favoritism". it was almost a furtive look... almost as if he was afraid somebody might hear him/them. it was a look that tipped me right away. however, I did know about the romance before I watched the movie the first time. just didn't know how far it was going to go.

the more I watch this movie, the more I realize what a find Quinto is for the character. he is a great Sylar, but he totally kills as Spock.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen, sista, amen.