Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She actually looks like a John Romita, Sr. drawing.

I'm curious how Peter's parents will figure into this. They've always been pretty much "off stage" and don't figure in the origin at all or the Spider-Man saga much. ( At least the version(s) I know)

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually she reminds me more of a Tim Sale Gwen Stacy to be honest.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think she looks far more striking with the blonde hair. Maybe she should stick with it.

4. Admiral_Young

Emma switched to being a red head for a film after a friend said that she looked good as a red head. I like her more with the red but think she looks fantastic. Now that I think about it she has a little Ultimate Gwen in her too which is why I think they cast her in the first place.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

given the fact there's rumours floating about casting calls for a young peter, i'd guess that Peter's parents are seen early in the flick before their deaths and his moving in with Ben and May. that or flashbacks to his early life.

6. Admiral_Young

I'm guessing that we could see them in flashback sequences. Without knowing anything about the plot at this time though it's kind of hard to speculate. I wonder if they'll be Sheild agents or if Peter's dad will be a scientist or both?

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I think that cinematically, SHIELD is the property of Marvel's movies; Iron Man, Hulk Thor, etc. Can't see them turning up in a Sony movie.

8. Admiral_Young

I forgot about that...in that case then I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Peter's dad is a scientist. It does suck that their main character isn't under their own preview.

9. Captaindemotion

Irrfan Khan talks briefly about his role - but he doesn't seem to know an awful lot about it:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...his-new-big-screen-roles/?partner=rss&emc=rss

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This does not fill me with much confidence.

This movie isn't being directed by Stuart Baird by chance is it?

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

In general I'd be wary of the movie, but I haven't seen Andrew Garfield do a bad acting job yet. I can't quite see him as Peter Parker, but I suspect the film will at least be "interesting".

12. Captaindemotion

He's an actor playing a minor supporting role. What does it matter what he knows about his character before he even receives the script? :confused: Does everyone playing every role have to know their character's part inside out before being cast?

Edit - rather than a double post, here's a link to some onset pics of Emma.

http://www.superherohype.com/gallery/spider-man/untitled-spider-man-film/set-photos

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  13. Admiral_Young

Yeah I don't get that comment either. How can a movie not fill you with confidence when we know next to nothing about the plot of the film still. I don't get what the Stuart Baird shot was for either...Mark Webb directed the fantastic "500 Days of Summer" and while I've been wary about this project from the start the fact that he is directing made me hopeful. Andrew Garfield was suburb in "The Social Network" and stole several scenes in that movie. I didn't think he looked much like Peter Parker (either Ultimate or 616 versions) but his acting ability has proven that he will at least be a capable one.

14. Captaindemotion

^ I think he looks at least as much like Peter as Toby did.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I am officially starting to feel old. Julianne Nicholson is the same age as me and she's playing Peter's mother.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've gone from very skeptical to very excited about this film for some reason.

17. Admiral_Young

^I'm getting there. I wanna see a pic of Andrew in costume.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I feel better when an actor knows about the part they are playing, the character's motivations, and stuff like that. He admits he's not familiar with the character and even seems to say he's not doing any preparing for the character, saying this is an action movie and he just needs to "strap in and go."

Sorry, that doesn't inspire with confidence.

As for the "Baird Comment" the guy's comments (Is that his name? Sci-Fi names mean nothing to me) reminds me of Baird's confusion on whether or not Geordi was an alien.

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah but if he was just signed on to the film without looking at the script yet (he was probably given just a snippet or something of dialogue from his character when auditioning) he wouldn't know anything about his character. I'm sure the audition process has been like this for most of the secondary actors...I'd be highly surprised if anyone but Andrew and Emma were given the full script for their auditions. I think I understand your hesitation but still...but just because it happens doesn't mean it should erode your confidence about the production it's self.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if only Andrew Garfield were this big Spider-Man nut who knew this character inside and out and followed the comics religiously -- like Nicolas Cage with Ghost Rider.