Spoilers Spider-Man: Homecoming-- Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 4, 2017.

?

How do you grade "Spider-Man: Homecoming"?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2018.
  1. A+ "Face it, Tiger. You just hit the jackpot!"

18.3%
  2. A

24.7%
  3. A-

21.5%
  4. B+ "With great power..."

14.0%
  5. B

9.7%
  6. B-

3.2%
  7. C+ "The Spider or the Man?"

2.2%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

3.2%
  10. D+ "Spider-Man No More!"

1.1%
  11. D

1.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F "Threat or Menace?"

1.1%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I just put the DVD in to check, Nick Fury says "You've been asleep Cap, for almost 70 years."

"Almost." So under 70, not over.

The next scene after his plane crashes shows VE Day in London, which was May 1945. Is that meant to the same year he crashed then or was it just showing us the end of the war and he did crash the year before? Been a while since I watched it fully

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Yeah, KEaton was great. As others have pointed out, it was interesting watching him put it all together re: Peter as Spidey. He was scarily menacing later when he tried (sucessfully, I think) to intimidate Peter in the car scene.

Loved Holland as Peter/Spidey. Just the right mix of innocence, smarts, and bravery. Loved the diversity of the casting as well. There were people of color all over the place.

And I just realized why they called it "Homecoming". :)

Gave it a solid A.

3. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

B+
    This movie was a lot of fun and my fav of the Spider-Man movies by a long shot.
    The writing and acting for Peter was dead on. I like the twist with MJ. She's much more interesting than the old school version. Keaton was good as the villian and made an uninteresting character watchable. I loved the cartoon music.
    The ending with Stark felt completely forced though and happened too quick. I did find the time inconsistencies, such as the Avengers base and Pepper I think, a bit distracting, but that's comics and the Time gem so I'll roll with it.
    Overall, a great start to the new franchise and I can't wait to see what they do in the next couple.

4. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

One of the most pointless things I saw in this movie was the ongoing drama or comedy of the Stark/Potts romance. In "Civil War", audiences are told that Tony and Pepper broke up. In this movie, audiences are briefly shown that they have reconciled and are engaged.

This was simply pathetic. It seems as if Marvel has no problem is showing the details of the beginning of a romance (with the exception of Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter), but seemed to have no problems with dropping the ball when it comes to portraying an established romance. And I have this ugly feeling that this will become the norm in further MCU films and other summer blockbusters.

5. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Or, they weren't sure if Gwyneth Paltrow would come back and just left themselves an out in Civil War...

Anwar likes this.
  6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And also, in movies that are no longer called "Iron Man", snippets are all we can get when the character isn't the focus. And in the Spider-Man movie, he's in, what, 15 minutes of it? I'm not sure what more they can do. We'll see in the next Avengers movie.

Grendelsbayne and Relayer1 like this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I personally couldn't care less either way. If a romance is shown, all good. If not, that's good too. We're finally past the days where every superhero flick has to have a romantic plot/subplot.

Star Wolf and kirk55555 like this.
  8. LJones41

They should have just left it out. Really disappointing.

Why were there Public Service Announcements featuring Captain America, when the latter is now wanted by not only the U.S. government, but possibly the U.N. as well? Especially if this movie IS SUPPOSED TO BE set a few months after "Civil War"? Even Peter's gym teacher had called Cap a "war criminal" in this film. Yet, they're still showing PSAs featuring him? Instead of finding another Avenger to do the PSAs? Like Tony or Rhodey?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's called "comedy". Sometimes things are done in a movie simply to be funny.
    It obviously didn't work for you, but the theatre I was in seemed to really enjoy them all.

Turtletrekker and Nerys Myk like this.
  10. LJones41

Really? It was just bad writing to me. And bad continuity.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They just haven't gotten new ones yet. It's only been two months and the PE teacher didn't seem to care that much in general, so if it was on him to replace them...

Relayer1 likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, a lot of schools have outdated materials.

Relayer1, shivkala and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. LJones41

Two months? Wow! Enough time for the government to film new PSA video clips. And why would an American school go ahead and show a PSA video clip featuring a wanted man to its students, knowing that he is wanted?

Why not just drum it up to sloppy writing? It's not the only form of sloppy writing in the movie. And nearly every film in existence has bloopers of some kind. Why pretend that the writing in this film, let alone any film, is flawless?

14. Nerys Myk

Not aware of anyone saying it's a flawless film. I know I didn't.
    My memories of school include old film strips, outdated reference books and lame "PSA"s about drugs starring Sonny Bono. Some of that was due to budgeting. It happens. Not every school is going to pull the PSA, nor is the government going to rush new ones into production.

A blooper is a mistake. A flubbed line. A boom mic in the shot. Slipping on the floor. The Cap PSAs aren't bloopers. It might be sloppy writing, but since they are deliberate and the writers were aware of the continuity and even address it, it probably isn't.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Being in a Shared Universe means all the character co-exist in it and nothing is really standalone anymore. Deal with it.

Because the Principal of the School is the Grandson of one of Cap's old War Buddies and not everyone in the MCU thought Cap was wrong for doing what he did and still believe in him.

16. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Um, when I was in High School one of the history classes I was taking had text books that were 20 years old. It was the late 80s, and the text book was published before Watergate. My sister is a school counselor, and she assures me things are no different now. I did not bump on the idea that a school would have outdated materials AT ALL.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And if there's anything under-funded, under-staffed, over enrolled high schools in major cities are know for, it's up to date equipment and learning materials. Hell, The Cap videos were being shown on an old tube TV. The coach even says the guy is probably a war criminal now but didn't care.

Grendelsbayne, Anwar and Relayer1 like this.
  18. LJones41

Then what is the point of including both him and Pepper in the movie? If the MCU had wanted Tony and Pepper back together, they could have done another solo Iron Man film. I'm amazed. People complained about how Steve and Sharon's relationship was rushed. But very few are willing to complained about how Tony and Pepper's relationship in Phase 3 was rushed, whether they were apart or reconciled.

I'll just chalk it up to sloppy writing. I'm sure that you will never agree with me, just as I am certain that I will never buy the excuses.

19. Nerys Myk

This is not unexpected. :lol:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

After googling the actress who played Liz, Laura Harrier, I'm glad to know I don't have to feel weird for finding her pretty cute in the movie- she's 27 in real life :D