Spider-Man: Homecoming' anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 6, 2015.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe Peter's age is 15 in both Civil War and Homecoming, in keeping with Sony's (and, by proxy, Marvel Studios) desire to have the character remain in High School for the duration of the 6 films that are being produced - currently - under the partnership deal they and MS signed.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

to be sure, Marvel has the drive and interest to make their version of the character something to capture some of the heart of the character--unlike the abysmal Garfield version.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe.

Okay. For full disclosure purposes, if Spider-Man being jokey was a later edition, it was a good one. I do very much like the more chatty version of the character. In the case of the original movies, I found that the tone compensated for it and since the joking is not the number one reason I like the character, I didn't mind that it was toned down.

If I understand correctly, the official explanation is that since a geek or a nerd wouldn't be the outcast in today's culture that they would've been in, they were trying to translate the character in a way that made sense. They were also trying to ostensibly adapt Ultimate Spider-Man, not 616 Spider-Man.

In regards to the former, I respect that they had a reason for what they did, but I think they missed the point that Peter Parker being bullied in school is a bigger part of his characterization then him being bullied for being a nerd.

In regards to the later, as a Ultimate Spider-Man fan, they botched the adaptation, IMHO.

Very interesting.

I agree. I also liked USM's take on Gwen Stacy as a character (although not the idea of her being Peter's girlfriend briefly).

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

In fairness, their brief time dating was portrayed as deliberately fucked up.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Where's the source on this? I've seen several quotes that they want to explore his high-school heroics for at least a couple films, but that is far from declaring he will never move on from it.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  6. DigificWriter

^ I can't find a source now, but I know back when/shortly after the Marvel/Sony partnership deal was announced, both Kevin Feige and Sony execs went on record stating that the plan was to do a trilogy of solo movies featuring Peter/Spider-Man as a High School student.

7. WebLurker

I'm not that familiar with that part of the Ultimate Series (I've really only read the Death of Spider-Man and it's prelude from the post-Ultimatum Peter-centric comics so far). So, I could be missing something, but my main thing was (besides the fact I was rooting for Mary Jane), that I'm not sure that Peter dating Gwen really seemed to offer any story points or explore the characters in a way Peter's previous two breakups/reconciliations did.

One thing I do kind of appreciate about that little story thread is the way it kind of forces us to reexamine some of the earlier material. From the pre-Ultimatum comics, we do know that MJ was initially convinced that Gwen was in love with Peter (implied in the Double Trouble trade paper back and confirmed in the Public Scrutiny trade paperback). Gwen herself denies the theory in the Carnage story, however, I was under the impression that Gwen initiated things with Peter post-Ultimatum (at any rate, when breaking up, she seems to think she manipulated him into it, which suggests that she had approached him).

So, those few points raises an interesting question: Was Gwen lying to MJ in the Carnage story about how she felt? Gwen emphasizes the point that Peter clearly has eyes for MJ only, so it could be possible that she realized that any feelings she had were unrequited and so it wouldn't do anyone any good to say that.

I can't prove that (the only real details we get about Gwen's thoughts on her and Peter was that she couldn't tell if she loved him in a familial or romantic way and also realized that MJ was the only woman Peter was truly in love with, which would be the case either way), but it's interesting to think about.

8. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well i'm glad Spider-Man is home with Marvel, Marvel is more mature than DC on film and Singer's X-Men.

9. DigificWriter

It's long past time for people to stop claiming that Marvel has the rights to Spidey back because it's 100% provable that they don't, and that they're essentially 'leasing' the character and other related characters from Sony.

Getting to use the characters and work for/in concert with Sony creatively is not and never will be the same thing as getting the rights to the character(s) back, and people should really stop acting like it is.

As an aside, we now know when Marvel Studios gets to directly profit from an onscreen appearance of the character again: 2018 (since we've had it confirmed that he'll be involved in Avengers: Infinity War).

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

HarryCanyon1982 didn't say anything about the rights, just that Spidey was "home with Marvel." I take that to mean that he's part of the MCU continuity now, which is true.

11. DigificWriter

A phrase like "home with Marvel" really can't mean anything other than "Marvel has the character back". It's a very specific phrase with a very specific connotation, and is the single biggest misconception that exists with regards to the partnership deal that Marvel and Sony negotiated, even though it can be easily verified as false.

12. Christopher

Yes, creatively. Most people don't know or care about the legalities of who owns what; they're just thinking about the stories they see. As far as what we see on the screen is concerned, Spidey is "with Marvel" now, in that he's part of the larger film universe that includes the majority of Marvel's characters. The only one here who's assuming that can only refer to the behind-the-scenes legalities is you. I didn't take his statement that way at all, so clearly there is more than one thing it can mean.

13. DigificWriter

The fact that Sony still owns the character rights to Spider-Man even after the establishment of this partnership with Marvel Studios is not some obscure fact; it's an easily discoverable core piece of the current arrangement, which is why it is so damnable that people continue to make comments/statements that ignore it/imply otherwise.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So what? Spidey is in a Marvel film, and has another coming soon.

And what actual difference does it make if there are people out there who misunderstand the deal? Half of them probably didn't know Spidey wasn't already a Marvel MCU character anyway.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. Christopher

And HarryCanyon1982 did not make any such statement. He just said "home with Marvel," which absolutely can be interpreted more than one way. You are not telepathic; you don't know what he actually meant. You're just guessing, based on a bizarrely rigid interpretation of an ambiguous phrase. So you have no right to "damn" him for your own speculation. You're being inexcusably rude to him for no remotely good reason, and I think you owe him an apology.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's because he was an unnecessary reboot of the Danny Seagren Spidey.

Fifth.

Well, there was Superboy, but he was a derivative version of an adult hero.

At least somebody remembers!

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  17. WebLurker

Can't speak to DC (haven't seen any yet), but I think the X-Men movies have a few advantages over the MCU.

1. They have far better villains. Magneto (old and new iterations), Stryker (Brian Cox iteration, although the others are fine), and Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence iteration) are some of the best antagonist in comic book movies in terms of acting and motivations. The only truly good villain the MCU has gotten so far is Loki. All the others are mostly plot devices.

2. While the MCU has had pretty good casting (and has managed ensemble casts far better), there's really nothing in the league as Sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan as Prof. X and Magneto.

3. Neither the MCU or X-Men have done love stories that well (MCU is better by far, though), but, in regards to character dynamics, I think the complicated friendship between Prof. X and Magneto and the surrogate father/daughter relationship with Wolverine and Rogue are better handled than most of the character dynamics in the MCU (save for Captain America's friendship with Black Widow).

4. While I do think that Captain America: The Winter Solider is the greatest comic book movie made (second only to Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy and The Incredibles), I'd argue that Days of Future Past, X2, and maybe X1, are better comic book movies than most of the MCU installments (save for the aforementioned Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, and maybe Avengers 1).

Now, overall, I like the MCU more, but I don't think it's more mature than other series out there, esp. since the X-Men movies have dealt a lot more with serious ideas and themes. But, hey, I like both for different reasons, so I'm glad both are around.

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

This paragraph has more twists than a season of The Twilight Zone.

19. DigificWriter

I wouldn't call 2018 "soon".

It makes a difference because facts matter.

@Christopher Maybe I picked a fight unnecessarily, but I'm overly sensitive sometimes when it comes to the actual facts of this Sony/Marvel Studios deal, so I will offer @HarryCanyon an apology as you suggested.

@HarryCanyon1982 Sorry for jumping down your throat on your phrasing.

20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Homecoming is this July.