Spider-Man: Homecoming' anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Greysun

Greysun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really liked Spidey in Civil War. I have high hopes for Homecoming.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, there's an egg of an idea there . ...

Sci likes this.
  3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

You're quackers.

Sci likes this.
  4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

At least for this first "phase" of the Sony/Marvel partnership, Peter IS going to remain an adolescent because that's what both studios want to do with the character, breaking the "template" of the MCU operating practically "in real time".

5. Greg Cox

Waugh!

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Teen heroes a HUGE part of comics going at least as far back as Robin's introduction into the Batman comic back in the '30s or '40s, and it's probably one of the biggest holes in the MCU right now. Since Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular and well known character who started out as a teen, it makes sense to use him to fill that hole.
    Honestly the only other Marvel teen heroes who come to mind for me first are some of the newer ones, like the New Mutants, Runaways, Young Avengers, Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander and Amadeus Cho, and I can't really see any of those characters being chose over Spider-Man. Most of them are B or C list character who really aren't known outside of comics fans, while Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters on the planet.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, teen sidekicks were a huge part of comics. But what made Spider-Man innovative when he was introduced was that he was a teenager who was an actual solo superhero rather than the sidekick of an adult hero. The closest thing in comics before then was probably the preteen Billy Batson turning into the adult Captain Marvel -- but CM originally acted like an adult (unlike in some later incarnations where he's written as a child in a man's body).

8. DigificWriter

This really isn't true at all given that DC's Star-Spangled Kid - a teen superhero with an adult sidekick - debuted some 20+ years before Lee and Ditko created Spidey.

9. Christopher

I did say "solo superhero." SSK was still part of a two-person team with an adult and a teen, even if it inverted the usual relationship.

Besides, SSK and Stripesy were fairly minor, obscure characters -- headline characters for maybe six months in 1941-2, a backup feature until 1948, then forgotten until the '70s. They weren't big-name heroes the way Spider-Man was. So Spidey was still something different and new, in terms of his impact on the medium.

Ed Sanders likes this.
  10. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For what 'phase' are you actually talking about here? And exactly what is this even based on?

Sure, he'll be a teen in Homecoming and probably in the Avengers (I'm assuming they won't leave him out of that). And his second movie will be out fast enough for him to still be a teen in that, two, most likely (which will be a nice change from: bam, here's Peter Parker in High School - don't blink, or you'll miss it), and in any other side appearences in between. Beyond that, though, Tom Holland is not going to be a believable teen anymore and the story will move on. More or less in real time, just like the rest of the MCU (except the parts that aren't, of course, of which there are several).

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think Michael J Fox would have been a great Spider-man in the 80's. Just wanted to throw that out there.

It would probably be "marty mcfly" as Peter Parker basically.

Robbie Robertson- Burglary on 9th street! Shouldn't you be out there?

*Peter Parker has his arms crossed and awkwardly answers Robbie*

Peter- Ah....ah....what do you? What do mean?

;)

12. DigificWriter

By "phase", I mean the currently planned slate of six movies agreed to by Sony and Marvel as part of their partnership deal.

It's already been publicly stated that Sony wants all 3 of the MCU Spider-Man films they finance to feature the character in High School, meaning that, in order to accomplish and accommodate that desire, Marvel Studios cannot set any of the 3 films they finance in the years in which said films are released and must instead work around the timeline/time frames asked for by Sony relative to Peter's age and position in school.

IOW, Spider-Man Homecoming is/will be set in 2016 (likely within days/weeks of Civil War), its sequel will likely be set in 2017 (despite being released in 2019), and the concluding and already-agreed-upon third solo Spidey film will likely be set in 2018, meaning that whatever two MS-financed films the character appears in cannot be set in the years in which they are released unless they feature time jumps.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that I've already read that homecoming takes place just a few months after Civil War. ​

14. Christopher

Or maybe Peter will keep flunking his classes because he's too busy being Spider-Man and won't graduate until he's 25... :D

15. DigificWriter

In two of the 3 scenes from the trailer in which Tony appears, he's still bearing evidence of the battle from Civil War, so unless those scenes are both flashbacks, at least part of the film has to take place shortly after the events of that film.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Superheroes barely make sense as an adult fixation; directed toward a child audience since the 1930s, Marvel's innovation was to imbue them with soap-operatic conflicts that extended their appeal to adolescents of the generation that eventually inspired the idea of the "Peter Pan syndrome." A teen Spider-Man is just about perfect - really the archetypical incarnation of the character.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The trailer tease also seemed to be a scene set during Civil War. So Homecoming is probably going to cover time during, directly after, and then "some time" after. :)

18. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why don't they make sense as something adults can appreciate? You'd be surprised how many kids books also have appeal to adults as well. People who love something as kids are very likely to carry that into adulthood. Many things appeal on different levels to different ages, anyways. And on top of that, it doesn't matter who comics were being marketed to in the '30s, the question is who are they being marketed to now? (Judging by the comic store in my town, you got stuff for everyone.)

The superhero genre has been popular with adults for generations, so it's not a recent thing. Stories are powerful things. On top of that, as superhero movies have shown, they can be used to tell stories that are targeted at more than just the kids.

That's where the character started, but that's not where he ends. In the original material, Spider-Man spent far less time in high school than in college or adult life. Now, the teenage years can make for good story material (Ultimate Spider-Man, arguably the greatest modern-day Spider-Man title proved that), but there are very good storytelling opportunities later down the line. Case in point, the current Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows comic series is getting a lot of mileage out of a setting where Spider-Man is an adult and raising a family of his own.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Most beloved children's literature is better conceived and better written than the main run of superhero comic books ever have been.

Hey, I read some superhero comics. I also occasionally eat Espresso Chip ice cream with hot fudge instead of dinner (yeah, for real). Both are...indulgences. :lol:

20. Greg Cox

So is the occasional Spider-Man movie every few years . . ...

Indulgences are not a bad thing. Some people watch sports, some people listen to pop music, some people like to relax with a good comic book or comic-book movie. At the moment, I have a purring cat on my lap while I talk about Spider-Man on the internet. Not a bad way to take a break from work.

And it's not either/or. You can actually eat dinner and have some ice cream for dessert when you feel like it. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    The Nth Doctor likes this.