Species 8472: What were their motives?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess the Borg are so used to saying "you will adapt" that they are hampered if they have to.

As to the ships.. they didn't want the team in bulky suits? But an in universe explanation would be nice.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what would happen to Kim if we spaced him into fluidic space if it's the opposite of a vacuum?

Would he be crushed by the weight of the universe or shredded by the current?

Is fluidic space hot, cold poisonous?

3. teacake

They should have had Harry kissing the 8472, though on second thought that would have been old hat and I wouldn't have laughed myself silly at it like I did with Chak.

I don't know.. implosion?

4. Guy Gardener

Possibly?

I think he would be squeezed from all directions with billions of atmospheres of pressure until he's nothing but a nice shiny bouncy ball the size on a pinprick.

It's not hard to imagine Harry as a tiny prick.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. teacake

I think you mean a tinier prick.

6. Guy Gardener

We're talking about his attitude, not that widget he used to contract space herpes in season 6.

Ye, gods I miss Firefly.

7. teacake

Lurok is doing a Firefly rewatch thread in SF & F. He's just waiting for Miss Lemon to get the dvd's, he's already started the thread. If you want to come relive the verse.

8. Guy Gardener

I'm watching Browncoats Unite, a documentary they made during this years comicon.

**Whimper**

**Sob**

"These are honestly the finest meatpuppets I have had the privilege to work with"

(Joss)

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

When did you stop talking about the 8472? I'm thinking of doing a research study on how fast the two of you can derail threads, even your own.

10. teacake

It's only five posts back not counting your own that the discussion was still directly about Species 8472. Five posts isn't even a page. We can get back to Species 8472 any time, without even breaking a sweat.

I don't understand why there are no other species in fluidic space. What does Species 8472 eat?

11. Guy Gardener

How the doctor described their biology, I'd think that they would be immune to food like we know food.

Although it takes 5 of them in an orgy to make a baby.

One of the sexes could just full of sedative to dull the carriers immunology so that "she" doesn't excrete the baby during a powerful hickup.

Are there planets in fluidic space, of do they live naturally freestyle in fluidic space?

No planets, where do they get the raw resources and infrastructure to make technology?

Wait!

They use/have bioships.

Are their ships are a slave life form, beasts of burden with no real sentience, or 8472 mutant/retarded orphans? Or is it like in Aliens where everything is built from the remains of their dead and resin?

Are we sure they are native to Fludic Space?

A million years ago they could have run into Fluidic space to explore or run away from a big bad.

There was no life in the 8 heavily explored galaxies surrounding Skaro according to a throwaway line in Genesis of the Daleks.

It's a mass scaled economy of the only child syndrome.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  12. teacake

Aren't we all only children until first contact is made though..

Janeway would have wanted to save them, if they'd been the reject puppies of Species 8472.

So many interesting conjectures in your post and yet what did we get? Boothby.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They drink the fluids, of course!

14. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How do we know there are no other species? Is it stated onscreen or just assumed?

15. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Fludic space is a giant space whale
    8472 is the immune system so the fludic space itself sustains them
    all other races are virii/bacteria and thus evil and thus must perish hence their scorpion outlook
    cue "I just want to live" from innocent bacteria race 8473

16. teacake

They really could have done with more giant space whales in Trek. Most things that are REALLY big turn out to be non-corporeal. Or machines.

17. Guy Gardener

First borns smother their siblings and blame it on the cat all the time.

Kes is overreacting to basic psychology.

18. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Species 8472 lived alone in another realm/Galaxy called fluidic space.
    the Borg Invaded it and wanted to assimilate them because they are the Apex of Biology.
    they Failed and ended up getting their asses kicked,8472 entered the milky-way to defend themselves and to destroy all those other species willing to pollute their realm.
    so get your facts straight, people just wanna bash Voyager at every opportunity they get.
    In the Flesh,describes species 8472 as more cunning and preparing to assault the Alpha Quadrant while the Dominion war was about to end.

19. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

The colony of Species 8472 spies may have become too successful at impersonating Starfleet personnel they slowly abandoned their original omnicidal alien mindset and became more human? That happened in a episode of TOS featuring aliens from Andromeda (who were also described as terribly aggressive and alien).

20. Guy Gardener

But human sex is two and a half times less adventurous.