Species 8472: What were their motives?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A fast read through of memoryalpha and chakoteya is quicker..

Maybe I'll watch the 8472 eps, I know I haven't seen In the Flesh for a long time.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it's cheating.

I don't even read it anymore.

I have chokoteya crossed with google word search.

I was looking for this earlier but failed because my word search was for redundant and not redundancy, but that was going to be part of my argument for why the Borg wouldn't keep attacking fluidic space.

3. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

The Borg are rather choosy about what race they want for an assimilation model. Not too big as they might jostle people in the hall. A head, arms and legs that are efficient to work with. Species 8472 are big ugly insects and they might be incapatable with their nanoprobes since they have twice as much dna structure (which accounts for their superior adaptability)as well as being poly-fluid based. They could be based on hydro-carbons or gas.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Twice wouldn't be a problem. They have a hundred times the DNA as human beings.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Failure to Assimilate doesn't mean "No casualties". They could've killed them in combat or suicide attacks, etc.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8472 could've carried out its extermination plans on any number of non-Borg worlds conveniently to hand, too. I would say that these two imaginary events cancel each other out, except that on screen the Borg can't beat 8472. That's the Borg motivation for their part in the story. What happened to the hypothetical Borg ability to slaughter 8472?

It's like Equinox, the script is determined to portray Chakotay as somehow equally right, or at least that it would be reasonable to think so. But the real logic of the fictional situation (not to bother with real world parallels!) says Chakotay was wrong.

7. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

I answer to the question is Boothby called the shots. It was tactically unsound to make the first strike after Janeway shot them down with altered nano-probe technology. If it was a ship besides Voyager it would have been blown to pieces. What is so rare about the ep. is both races escaped with their lives and Boothby the groundskeeper no longer needs to be scared to hell by the nona-probe machinery.