SpaceX Dragon 2 crew capsule explodes

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MarsWeeps, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how effective the launch abort would be if it was triggered when the rocket started disintegrating, since that seems far more likely than getting an early warning allowing you to shut it down and fire up. Elon did claim that the software could have saved even cargo Dragon during the mission which destroyed the docking adapter, so if that's even quarter-true, it shouldn't be an issue for Crew dragon, so I wonder why they didn't test triggering FTS and then escaping. Even John Insprucker claimed during the webcast that if the rocket were to explode on the launch pad after the Dragon fuel had finished loading, the capsule would automatically fly itself to safety. My impression was that when the Falcon did go boom, even the debris going fastest was going slower than the Dragon.

MarsWeeps likes this.
  3. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Trinity Gingerbread

Trinity Gingerbread Time is ticking away, tick, tick, ticking away. Premium Member

Boeing has had a few problems lately

6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I'm sure NASA will figure out some way to give them a pass.

"The newly revealed software bug, which Boeing said was fixed while the CST-100 Starliner was still in orbit, could have "led to erroneous thruster firings" that could have resulted in "a catastrophic spacecraft failure," panel member Paul Hill said."

And then...

"NASA must still decide whether to make Boeing repeat the unmanned docking testbefore the spacecraft can carry astronauts."

Seriously? What's there to decide? Boeing failed it's main objective which was to dock at the Space Station, they uploaded a software patch a few hours before de-orbit which more than likely prevented Starliner's destruction and there's still a question as to whether they should repeat the docking test? Unbelievable.

7. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Understatement of the year. :wtf:

8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Boeing has already ordered another Atlas V for the OFT refly.