Space Seed: Yes, Chekov was on the ship. See Catspaw.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captrek, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Its not like every second of Khan's time aboard the ship was in the episode. He probaby met a lot more people than the ones we saw him interact with. Khan's a "superman" having a photographic memory doesn't seem to be a stretch.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just bothered by the direction to see "Catspaw." However heated this argument gets, surely it isn't worth that.

3. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

I thought he said that Chekov met Khan in the "can".:lol:

4. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

No more rediculous than any other retcon that has been used in the past to explain anything in Trek that didn't make good sense. If it works it works. 'Nuff said.:)

Personally, I have no problem with Chekov being on the ship in "Space Seed". Just because we didn't see him doesn't mean he wasn't there. And if episode stardates work out so that he joined the crew before that episode, so much the better.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always believed Walter Koenig's take on this: "during Space Seed, Chekov was in the bathroom".

6. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

The Wrath of Can?

7. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

That seems like a needlessly convulted way of explaining it. Seems easier to me to believe that the episodes didn't air in chronological order and any errors, like in Gamesters or Mudd's Women, are just errors on the part of the production staff and/or actors.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I can easily see Kirk being known for "The Corbomite Maneuver" he pulled during first contact with "the First Federation." It would be in the logs, and such a momentous meeting, as well as Bailey's being dumped, would get around and add to the Kirk Legend. In TNG, everyone knew about "The Picard Maneuver," so why not this? Chekov would have known about it, especially once he learned he was assigned to Enterprise.

Hey, for all we know, Kirk's "Corbomite maneuver" became required reading at the academy.

As for Mudd, he was small potatoes compared to establishing contact with a long forgotten race. There's no reason to talk about the guy months or a year later if it just never came up. I've been with my company for 5 years and I don't know all of their history.

9. TheKeeper

TheKeeper Commander Red Shirt

^ Thank you! I'm happy to leave it unsolved, rather than pay that price! :lol:

P.S. Yes, I'm well aware of the irony in decrying "Catspaw" while wearing an avatar from it. What can I say, Sylvia-Cat reminds me of one of my cats.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Note to Self - don't piss off TK's cats.

11. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Another nice feature of stardate order: it puts This Side of Paradise immediately after Amok Time, which I think makes it all the more poignant. In AT, we learn that Spock has, since childhood, been betrothed/married to this ice woman who would rather see him killed or see him kill his best friend than be his wife. Then in TSOP, having been freed from his connection to T’Pring by the events of AT and from his emotional repression by the spores, he is with a woman who loves him and whom he loves in return, and for the first time in his life he is happy. The post-AT context helps the viewer appreciate the value of the Leila relationship for Spock even though Leila herself isn’t an especially interesting character.

I wonder. Is it a coincidence, or was AT deliberately backdated before TSOP to avoid the suggestion that Spock had been unfaithful to T’Pring?

12. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Gamesters should be viewed first.

In Gamesters, Spock, searching for the landing party, follows a faint lead and when it peters out he simply continues on in the same direction. Scotty and McCoy don’t like the idea, but Spock makes the command decision and eventually Scotty and McCoy buy in.

In Metamorphosis, Scotty uses exactly the same tactic searching for the missing shuttlecraft, and has this exchange with Uhura:
    If you view Metamorphosis as happening before Gamesters, it’s a little uncomfortable seeing Scotty give Spock so much resistance in Gamesters about doing the same thing that Scotty had just done (to success) in Metamorphosis.

If you view Gamesters has happening before Metamorphosis, that problem goes away, and the Uhura-Scotty exchange in Metamorphosis works great. It starts at about 28:57 here. Keep in mind that Uhura was not on the ship when Scotty was saying the same thing in Gamesters.

13. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Of course he was on the ship; Khan never forgets a face.

Then again, he could be confusing him with Ensign Tork.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"The names Jones. sir."

15. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

If only Kyle had accompanied Terrell to the surface instead of Chekov it would have all made sense...:techman:

16. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

I guess it depends on your point of view.

IF you believe Lt. Kevin Riley and DeSalle were on the Enterprise for the duration of its 5 year mission even though Riley was only seen in 2 episodes of Season 1 and DeSalle was in seen 2 episodes of Season 1 and 1 episode of Season 2 THEN

You probably would believe Ensign Chekov was on board the Enterprise during its 5 year misson even though we did not see him until the Season 2 episodes.

Also, George Takei's character Lt. Sulu, was not in the episode "Space Seed" but Sulu was in many of the Season 1 epsiodes, so had they used Sulu in TWOK in the scene with Capt. Terrell meeting Khan you could just assume Sulu and Khan met off screen during "Space Seed".

As one member here already said, if they had used the Kyle character in TWOK with Capt. Terrell meeting Khan then there would be no question about it since Klye was in the "Space Seed" episode.

ELSE

You believe Riley and DeSalle left the Enterprise some time during its 5 year mission and Chekov was assigned to the Enterprise after the events of the episode "Space Seed", therefore, you believe Chekov never met Khan while Khan was on board the Enterprise during the episode "Space Seed".

END IF

Illogicall, illogical, Norman coordinate. :borg: :brickwall: ;)

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  17. Archaeologist

Archaeologist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Like others here, I just assume that Chekov was in the background somewhere, off-screen, and then Khan certainly saw him, as he had stated in the film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. He never forgets a face, after all, unless Khan here was delusional.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Khan: "I never forget a face ... Mr. Chekov."

Chekov: "But, we've never met before."

Khan: "Then how did I know your name?"

Chekov: "Gee, because it on the front of my spacesuit?"