Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It will still be a while before they can get to a second series. Assuming they've done some planning and use the film as a method of making art assets for the show, they still will take a little bit to write and then produce. I'd guess 2016? Maybe 2015.

2. Ithekro

The evidence is conclusive. Gatlantis is coming.

First a condensed film for the 2199 plot in October, then "Ark of the Stars" in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KgfMAnbSAE

Translation of materials of Yamato Crew's website via OurStarblazers.com

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's weird that they're fitting in an adventure in between what is episode 25 and 26, but hey, if you want to make a movie on the cheap, what better way than to do a recap + new footage?

4. Ithekro

The first film in October will be the recap film that will be between 2 and 3 hours long.
    http://yamato2199.net/about/story_b.html

Then in December there will be a new film that might be 2 hours long (though probably only 90 minutes long. We don't have a run time yet). That will tell a tale that takes place sometime between episode 24 and 25. That is roughly a two month spread between the episodes as that is the voyage between Iscandar and Balun. So they have time for an adventure.
    http://yamato2199.net/about/story_a.html

5. firehawk12

I'm going to assume that the first film will lead into the second film. If the first film just ends at the return to Earth, then... well, it sort of makes the second film kind of "pointless" in terms of plot.

But then again, I wonder who this is for anyway. I am assuming all Yamato fans already watched the TV show or the theatrical screenings last year.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a compilation movie. The assumption is that given the success of 2199 that even a compilation of previous movies will do moderately well in theaters and they can use it to foreshadow stuff in the 2nd one.

7. Ithekro

Wider audiance. The previous screenings were in 12 theaters total, and were mainly for the fans. The TV airing would get more people in, but a nationwide screening (90 theaters) of a compilation film might get a lot more people in Japan to watch it, and set up for a massive audiance for the second film in December...which if successful will bring in lots of money for a second series (and likely a second compilation film for the wider audiance).

Essentally, exactly what happened the first time around.

In 1974, Yamato aired its first series. It didn't do all that well, thought it was a hit in circles. The producer later has an international film company of some sort and decided to re-edit the 26 episodes into a film for the international market. In doing so they made a horrble dub called "Space Cruiser Yamato", but they also made a slightly longer version for Japan. This was sent to Japanese theaters in 1977 and was a smash hit. They then made the second film in 1978, now known as "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato". This film exploded in Japan. It did better than "Star Wars" over there. At the same time they were working on the Second series for Yamato....this was the height of Yamatomania between 1978 and 1980, where they made the Second TV series, a TV movie, and two feature films.

The Yamato 2199 production staff might be thinking they can pull this off again. Create a second Yamatomania via the films to support their TV series projects (as well as Bandai's model kits).

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait it was only in 12 theaters? So does that mean most people just saw it on MBS instead?

9. Ithekro

That or purchased the BD, since those came out before the MBS versions in all cases aside from the last four episodes.

I mean it was pretty much the top selling Anime TV series last year in terms of BD and DVD sales aside from Attack on Titan and maybe Fate/Zero.

10. firehawk12

It aired on TV in a prime time slot (for anime)... people would have had the chance to see it already. Although I guess being in a theater again makes it a little more of an event, but still... I suppose this whole endeavour is a bit strange.

11. Ithekro

Well it is coming out more or less on the 40th Anniversary of the original air date in 1974. October 6th being the first date the show aired in 1974. The compilation movie comes out on October 11th of 2014, the closest Saturday after the Anniversary date.

12. Ithekro

Yamato2199.net updated with a new promotional picture for the new film coming out in December.

[​IMG]

Upate:

A new trailer:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEDoGzrKkE[/yt]

And a revised story synopsis.

"In 2199.

After reaching its destination, Iscandar, and receiving the Cosmo Reverse System, Yamato prepares to leave the Great Magellanic Galaxy.

But as they reach the outer edge of the LMG, it encounters a mysterious task force. The commander identifies himself as Goran Dagamu of the Gutaba Expeditionary Rapid Assault Force, under supervision of the Great Capital City, "Gatlantis", and he demands Yamato to surrender.

Yamato wants to avoid the battle and hurry back to Earth but Dagamu's onslaught increases as he unleashes a power of a beam weapon capable of transcending space.

The name of his weapon - the Impact Flame Gun. It is the latest weapon of proud Gatlantis.

Yamato is saved in the nick of time by warping, but they wander into a different space bathed in a pale grey light.

As if controled by an outside will, Yamato's rudder turns, and they are invited to a mysterious planet.

Kodai, Kiryu, Sawamura, Niimi and five of Aihara's men descend to the planet to collect information. Once on the ground, they come across something that shouldn't be there, an ancient war ship (boat).

Dagamu warps after Yamato by following its space wake, reaching the grey colored space. The planet shining in front of his eyes, where Yamato was invited, is the very treasure planet he had been looking for.

Dagamu heads for the planet with his Flame Gun in order to burn the annoying Yamato."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. firehawk12

I was going to post this myself. It really is an interquel which will presumably set up an S2 adaptation. What a strange way to set it up.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

As long as we get a retelling of the Comet Empire storyline in the same vein of the original storyline (which I hope will happen if the film is financially successful when released) - I'm fine with how they set it up as this creative team has been doing an amazing job reworking and retelling the SBY saga so far.

I just hope that when the Blu-Ray of the film is released, it'll be done with an english subtitle track like the SBY 2199 Episode Blu-Rays were. :)

15. Ithekro

Well so far all the Yamato 2199 stuff has come with English subtitles and they've been producing the North American release under the Star Blazers 2199 name, adding Spanish subtitles as well as English. So they at least know there is a market of some kind in the English speaking world.

They also must know how popular the Second Series was in the States and other places.

16. firehawk12

I just don't get why they couldn't have just set it after the ending of S1, rather than make up a "new" adventure in between... I guess 25 and 26? I suppose having their journey home be a cakewalk would be too easy, given what they had to go through for the rest of the season. :lol:

17. Ithekro

Perhaps it starts with them reporting in upon getting back to Earth about a threat they ran into on the way home (between episodes 24 and 25 as the are still leaving the Magellenic Cloud with three months to kill before making Balun). Thus placing part of the story after the events and providing incentive for the Earth Admiralty to build a new fleet of wave motion gun equipped ships (regardless of what agreement they had with Starsha) as they will have encountered two races with similar or perhaps even more devastating versions of the Wave Motion Gun (Dessler's gun and now this Flame Gun).

It would explain why there are a few images that don't fit in with what would take place during the voyage. There is a shot of Admiral Hijikata (Gideon) in close up. It is him rather than Okita (Avatar) as he lacks Okita's full beard and has grey hair rather than white (also the distinctive sideburns). Also there is a shot of several guns and helmets in a place that can see is a red Earth. Those would be graves of Space Marines on the Moon. Yamato flew over the Moon on its way to Earth, so perhaps it is an establishing shot, or foreshadowing the coming war with the Comet Empire were the Space Marines will play an important part?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Because this is a time-period that was skipped over in the original, leaving the opportunity to fill it in.

19. firehawk12

I guess that works. It just seems odd to me that they'd set the film this way, since it also makes the denoument of the series a bit strange since after encountering this new threat, the sudden catharsis of a recovered Earth and the death of Okita don't really fit any more. Although I would have to imagine that there would be some post-26 scenes in the movie as well.

20. Ithekro

Well they would encounter the Comet Empire threat in the two months between leaving Iscandar and arriving at Balun. While the enemy might have been powerful, they ran into Dessler again after Balun and the weight of those events for a few more months before the return to Earth as that would likely distract them a little from the Comet Empire fleet they encountered four to five months earlier. Also it was likely made clear to them that the Gamilas are fighting this other race still, so maybe the crew figures they have time (its not like the new enemy knows were Earth is....right).

It would come up at the debreffing by Admiral Hijikata though after episode 26 (but still in December of 2199). And that would probably send him warning bells that something else is out there and Earth needs to perpare. Thus setting up the building of Space Battleship Andromeda for the next film/series.