Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Good point - I was referring more to the greater fleet of which the Yamato was the first, the UNCF - United Nations Cosmo Force. It was mildly implied in the first series, but later on, with Yamato II (Comet Empire) naming the Borodino battleship, Hood battle cruiser and Lexington carrier. Then it was even more particularly shown in Yamato III (Bolar Wars), you had battleships from all different nations showing up including the Prince of Wales, Bismark and, yes, Arizona. Such internationalism is more prominently shown in the new Yamato 2199 series. But you're right, the Yamato crew by itself is majority, if not all, Japanese in origin.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Conveniently to emphasize the exclusive/exceptional aspects of Japanese nationalism that Leiji Matsumoto bought into.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The next issue from Yamato Crew (#13) comes out this month. Next month Tim Eldred should have a translation for public viewing.

Subject matter: Full-scale startup! Series is Go.

http://yamatocrew.jp/crew/info/160302

QuantumMechanic and Lynn Minmay like this.
  4. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Yay! (Of course that means eventually I'll be spending $100 per Blu-Ray disc of said new series; assuming they are region-free and English-subtitled like the SBY:2199 series was.)

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  5. Ithekro

With the yen still a little down verses the dollar, it be more like $80-90 per disc including shipping.

Still. If it is as good as Yamato 2199, it will be worth every penny spent.

Especially if they can pull off a battle involving multiple modern Earth ships verses the Comet Empire. I've been waiting for that since I first saw the new version of the Battle of Pluto. Battleship Andromeda in action.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. 137th Gebirg

Have there been any releases of conceptual artwork of the Andromeda or any of the other 2nd-gen EDF ships like the Borodino class, etc.? I really would love to see what they have in mind.

7. Ithekro

Nothing official. We are still at least seven months away from the first episode coming out. There are some ideals of what some of the EDF ships might look like on an online Yamato game Battlefield Infinity that Yamato Crew is doing. More or less like the old versions of the ships, but with some details similar to the pre-Yamato fleet cruisers. And with hull plating over the wave motion gun holes.

http://yamato2199bfi.jp/

Usually there is a mention about the game in Tim Eldred's monthly Yamato 2199 reports, with pictures. For example: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/032a/

8. 137th Gebirg

I wish I knew Japanese to play that game. It looks really good.

9. Ithekro

Estimated release was supposedly Fall of 2016. If this remains the case, we have seven to nine months to wait, with it likely being as close to October 6th as they can get (because that date holds some meaning for Yamato fans, though I wouldn't discount December 8th now as the day Yamato came home).

So this period could be considered, "Waiting for Andromeda", as we know that battleship will appear in the series along with Yamato.

10. 137th Gebirg

I don't envy the artists' job trying to reboot Andromeda while honoring the original. There seems to be more pressure and anticipation for what that ship looks like than there was for Yamato in the first season. I'm sure they'll do a great job, along with all the other ships they've done so far, but I suspect they're obsessing over the smallest details on that one.

11. Ithekro

I'm hoping for any changes to be for practical reasons. Like improved arc of fire for the aft guns. Shield generators. Missile tubes. Not sure about the older style's casemate guns batteries.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the US Montana battleship concept done Yamato style...

13. Ithekro

That is, in a sense, what Andromeda is. Four triple turrets on a large battleship. It jus doesn't have the American ship style visual queues since only Yamato looks even remotely like a historical vessel.

14. Ithekro

We have a series title:

"Yamato 2202: Soldiers of Love"

Official website goes online March 31st.

Much expected soon. (Get the pipe organ ready)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    QuantumMechanic likes this.
  15. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I loved 2199 so I am looking forward to the new series.

17. Ithekro

The BD should start arriving is two or so weeks.

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So I finally finally watched all of this series. Don't think I will move onto the next series. For me the original still stands as the best out of all incarnations and I didn't feel this remake brought anything new to the game beyond the animation style and more fan service. In general I'm less of a fan of more modern animation style in anime these days, washed out colors, less distinct character designs that lean towards a more feminine look for male characters etc Putting all that aside I felt the remake lacked the heart of the original, the crew seemed less fallible and a bit plain.
    The ending of this series felt it necessary to explain the mysterious resurrection of a certain character while in the original it was left unsaid and more of a miracle. The ending of the original is beautiful.