Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I would agree with pretty much he said in the review. Although I didn't even give the title change much of a second thought at all. Just glad it's finally being released locally and at a far more reasonable price.

Side note: My cute little 17-month-old daughter (at the time) decided to turn the SB2199 Volume 1 case into a chew toy, damaging one corner of the box and the slip sleeve inside. Needless to say, I was horrified and she couldn't quite figure out why it looked like I was going to cry. So I contacted Voyager Entertainment to see if I could pay for a replacement box via PayPal or something. They said they didn't have any extras in stock at the time but they would get back to me. About a month or so later, they sent me a new case w/ sleeve - free of charge and free shipping - something they did not have to do at all - very unexpected. Truly, a very kind thing to do and a great bunch of people - they have all my Yamato business for life!

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool, that they got back to you. Hate it when stuff like that happens. (though it's usually just the postman destroying them or just my own hand strength) There are also sites like this where you can buy cheap blank cases (individually or in bulk) for all manner of DVD/BD/CD disasters.

I don't know how many times I've had to replace one of those damned 3 disc cases with the swinging hinge inside. They're always busting off.

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Updated information from Japan tells us that there will be two Yamato 2199 films this Fall.

First a recollection film out October 11th titled "Voyage of Recollection".

The second is a new story titled "The Ark of the Stars". No real idea what that is about yet, but it comes out December 6th.

5. 137th Gebirg

Curious - what is a "recollection film"? Is it taking the episodic series and editing it down into a feature film or something else like the rumored prequel?

6. Ithekro

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Japanese animators are fond of doing those type of recap films from longer series and 99% of the time they just come off as a gigantic compressed and incomprehensible piles of crap. I've only seen a few that actually seemed to flow naturally as a story.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

FYI - For those in the U.S. interested in obtaining a legitimate Blu-Ray of the Live Action "Space Battleship Yamato" (2010) feature film (and english dubbed) - or so the package says, it was released yesterday 4/28/14 in the U.S.

I wasn't particularly looking for it per se; but I went to my local Best Buy and I always peruse the new releases in the Blu-Ray section and saw it in a DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack for $14.99.

Link to a site I found with a review (link)
    ^^^
    FYI - the site states its only got english subtitles (which is fine by me) ; BUT on the case itself, it claims a English Dolby 5.1 audio track and a Japanese 5.1 Dolby audio track are available, so it may also have an english dubbed track (just got it, so I haven't yet had time to stick it in the Blu-Ray play and see what's what; but again, for $14.99, if you like Yamato, you can't go wrong.(IMO)) :)

9. Ithekro

Was told that they cannot make a dub of that movie due to a contract clause in the star's contract saying they can't dub over his voice.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Then the German-dubbed version of this movie on BluRay and DVD that is on the market since late September 2011 shouldn't even exist? I don't think its true what you've been told.

11. Ithekro

Weird. The sourse of that contract information is fairly reliable when it comes to Yamato related materials.

It is confirmed that the new release has an English dub. From the same source. They find it odd as well.

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

It would seem the contract-information that source has is just wrong.

13. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the Italain dub..?

[​IMG]

14. Ithekro

Or the source is just old since the film was 2010.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Or, you know, just wrong.

16. Noname Given

Well, finally found time to watch the Blu-Ray of the 2010 live-action SBY feature film I mentioned in a post above, and yes, the 5.1 English audio track is 100% dubbed into English (looks like the dubbing itself was done by Funimation. IMO they did a good job too.) It still has English subtitles available too on the Japanese track if you don't like your stuff dubbed.

But yeah, if the lead actor had a clause stating they couldn't dub his voice; either he negotiated another agreement that allowed it, it was only for X time, and said time has expired; or the source reporting that fact was mis-informed.

17. Ithekro

A word has come up from Japan in relation to the Yamato 2199 film to be released in December.

Just one word:

"GATLANTIS"

The White Comet Empire is coming....

18. 137th Gebirg

Nice! Will they be making a series out of this as well or are they going the Saraba, Yamato route, I wonder?

19. Ithekro

The news says they are not doing this as another Saraba, Yamato. Probably because it is still suppose to take place in the year 2199.

It would make sense if they are using this film as a bridge between the events of the first series and the second series...especially when it comes to what happened to Gamilas and Dessler.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  20. Noname Given

One can hope - I'd love to see their take on the Comet Empire storyline - and I'd love to see an updated Andromeda Class ship with the dual wave motion guns. :eek:;)