Sony Spider-Verse discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The rumor mill is indicating that will get a trailer for Morbius The Living Vampire sometime next week...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/morb...aJvvj1xvnX2Hu8ci8bYkgIW-HHTwS14mXAxiZfA-UBEkY

And while I'm posting in this thread, I might as well bring this up as well. Tom Holland is allegedly in negotiations to have a cameo in the Venom sequel, which would fit the Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters into the MCU. The source on this one is dubious so I wouldn't take it too seriously. But as I said, since I'm posting in this thread anyway...

https://thegww.com/exclusive-tom-holland-in-talks-for-spider-man-cameo-in-venom-2/

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Unless he crosses over between parallel universes, a precedent that Into the Spider-Verse has already set, and that the MCU may be toying with given the title of the Doctor Strange sequel.

I finally saw Venom last week, and I think it would be hard to fit into the MCU, since it seemed to treat aliens as something unknown to the world at large.

3. Turtletrekker

I would imagine that there are a lot of people on MCU Earth that wouldn't believe in aliens despite the evidence of their own eyes. See real world examples of moon landing denial and Holocaust denial.

ETA: I only saw Venom in the theaters once, but to my recollection the only person who made any comments about aliens not being real was a throwaway reference from Eddie Brock?

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And the MCU wouldn't be the first prolific universe with many alien visitations that people don't seem to notice or believe. Just look at modern Doctor Who.

Anwar and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Part of the new deal that kept Tom Holland's Spidey in the MCU was Marvel Studios and Feige officially supporting Sony's desire to link the character to their spinoff movies.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Source?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. Christopher

And I really hate that Doctor Who keeps doing that, and I don't want to see other franchises follow suit. I hate it when science fiction franchises bend over backward to avoid having the everyday world changed by the extraordinary phenomena and events within them. The whole point of science fiction is to explore the consequences of those extraordinary things, the way they transform the human experience.

On a more practical note, I don't particularly want Venom to be in the MCU. It wasn't that good a movie, and I don't have a lot of confidence in Sony's other Spidey-adjacent movies to be on an MCU-worthy level of quality. Better to let them stand apart and just say they're another parallel universe. Heck, Into the Spider-Verse is the best Spidey movie Sony's ever made, so they should let their other movies follow its lead.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Remind me, what was the reason the DW writers gave for why they went with that? It would be too hard to write about the effect of repeated alien attacks?

9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe this might just be an assumption I made based on a comment that Feige made back when the new deal was announced.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

DOCTOR: What do you make of that?
    (The Doctor opens the window.)
    ACE: It's a playground.
    DOCTOR: The burn marks. See them? Well?
    ACE: A landing pattern for some kind of spacecraft, isn't it?
    DOCTOR: Very good.
    ACE: But this is Earth, 1963. Well, someone would have noticed. I'd have heard about it.
    DOCTOR: Do you remember the Zygon gambit with the Lock Ness Monster? Or the Yetis in the Underground?
    ACE: The what?
    DOCTOR: Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched by only its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself .

11. The Nth Doctor

Very true. Doctor Who has always been like that, it's just that the modern era is more blatantly explicit about it. No big deal.

12. Christopher

If anything, it's the other way around. Doctor Who did let the public become aware of aliens during the Russell T. Davies era, with the population of London eventually getting a bit blase about all the alien invasions that happened periodically and especially at Christmas. But it got wiped away in the Moffatt era and has been taken to an even more ridiculous extreme now, with MI-6 officially denying the existence of aliens even while admitting that UNIT and Torchwood are things that once existed, which just makes no sense.

Anyway, we're off topic. The point is that the MCU is a franchise that traditionally takes the more open route. Its superheroes and aliens are undeniable public realities, and its movies and shows have explored the impact they have on the culture, to a greater or lesser extent. The Battle of New York, Malekith's attack on London, etc. were far too public and major in impact to be dismissed except by a tiny fringe of lunatics. The Netflix Marvel characters may have tiptoed around talking about "the Incident" (the B of NY), but they did talk about it, and the state of Hell's Kitchen in Daredevil was a direct consequence of the Chitauri invasion (a clever way of explaining why that now-upscale neighborhood regressed to the '70s-level urban decay that Daredevil required it to have). And the public's reaction to things like Daredevil's war on crime and Luke Cage's superpowers is a major part of the stories. This is not a universe that pretends the public is ignorant of what's going on. Heck, it barely even has secret identities, except for Spidey and DD.

In the specific case of Venom's Eddie Brock, he was probably living and working in New York City in 2012, so if he did occupy the MCU, it's absurd that he'd be unaware of aliens or in denial about their existence.

Come to think of it, is there anything in Venom that establishes the calendar date? If it takes place in 2019, then it would be post-Snap. Hard to believe that could go unmentioned or have zero impact on the characters and events of the film.

Ethros likes this.
  13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Morbius" trailer will debut next week. First look at Jared Leto as Morbius

[​IMG]

Kai "the spy" and Turtletrekker like this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but that is a pretty good take on the comics version of the character.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jared Leto? That's not quite right...
    [​IMG]
    That's better...

Captaindemotion likes this.
  16. Turtletrekker

Okay, here is a potential Morbius spoiler and more fuel for the fire to the notion that Sony's movies take place on the same storytelling world as the MCU.

Reports are Morbius will feature an appearance by JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson. More JK as JJ can only be a good thing in my opinion.

https://fandomwire.com/2020/01/11/e...FODH1Jg3vaJXFIdzDCtJl7PJc7vbMr_Ay6dGdAqQpK2rI

As rumors go, this one is certainly more than believable. It actually seems kind of obvious.

17. Christopher

On the other hand,
    Simmons has already played JJJ in two different live-action continuities, Raimi and MCU (and at least three animated continuities). Perhaps he's a constant across the multiverse, like Stan Lee.

18. The Nth Doctor

I really like this explanation as oppose to the alternative. :D

Captaindemotion and Morpheus 02 like this.
  19. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Turtletrekker

That was largely disappointing. The very end, however? That caught me completely by surprise.

I did not expect to see Michael Keaton. I think we can safely say that we are MCU confirmed, for better or worse. And there is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it image of Spider-Man himself at one point.