Sony Spider-Verse discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Not gonna lie, this looks super-neat.

Plus, I'm really intrigued by the surprise appearance of Michael Keaton's Adrian Toomes and want to know what it all means.

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the trailer. Far better than it could have been. Definitely gives off the same vibe as Venom.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wasn't expecting it to interest me, since I'm not a vampire fan and I don't care for Jared Leto. Still, he wasn't as annoyingly affected and campy in his performance this time, although he wasn't particularly interesting either, just kind of there. He looks the part, I guess.

There's a poster of Spidey with "MURDERER" grafitti on it, implying it's post-FFH and he's still held to blame for Mysterio's death. Oddly, though, people are saying the poster is of the Tobey Maguire Spidey suit.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty good trailer, looks like the movie has potential. The character mentioned above was a big surprise.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other Sony Spidey-related property has included a direct "in association with Marvel" image tag, so I definitely think there's a case to be made that the new Sony/Marvel Studios partnership deal included provisions related to Sony's non-MCU Spidey stuff even if Morbius turns out to not be directly connected to the MCU.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's about where I am too.

And I'm kind of interested despite myself.

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I liked that trailer more than I would have thought I would. Should have known better after Venom, but then, the Venom trailers left me cold, and it was the movie itself that I liked. But Sony seems to follow the formula of Venom, in getting a talented actor, giving them a ridiculous concept and let them go wild.

But I was kinda disappointed they didn't go with the "The Living Vampire" subtitle. Well, maybe for the sequel.

9. Christopher

After that trailer, I'm kind of wondering...
    ...if maybe they're using Adrian Toomes to lay the groundwork for building the Sinister Six, much like how Nick Fury laid the groundwork for the Avengers. You've got the Vulture, Venom, and Morbius, and there's supposed to be Black Cat upcoming, so they just need a couple more.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was my first thought too.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm pretty sure everyone has jumped to that conclusion.

And I, as a grumpy old fan, say meh! :p

12. Christopher

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder if we'll see Morbius against Blade somewhere down the line....

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This looks pretty good, especially the
    apparent links to the MCU Spider-man

However, I’m waiting for the 1980s-set Scorsese-influenced take with Joaquin Phoenix Morbius to come along in a couple of years. ;)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have those two had run ins in the comics? It seems like an obvious pairing, but I haven't come across any in the stuff I've seen online.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about the comics but I do know that Blade is hunting him in the Spider-Man animated show from the 90s.

Saul and Ethros like this.
  17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

In the Ultimate Comics, mostly.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So I assume Sony used the Spiderman rights issue from last year to get Venom and Morbius into the MCU but haven't seen Venom and have zero interest in Morbius. I have little trust in quality control at Sony so that part of the MCU I will ignore for now unless Disney is more involved.

Morpheus 02 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully not, but I can imagine the Michael Keaton scene is either 20 seconds long or probably from the post credits scene. After putting the final scene of Venom all over the trailers I don't think Sony really care about spoilers tbf

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Have never read the comics of Blade or Morbius but they had run ins on the animated series and there was that deleted scene of Morbius at the end of Blade 1998. I assumed they had some history in the comics for those reasons.