So who should play Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Trevok, Aug 5, 2007.

1. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have been removed from contention for having silly names that make people giggle. Wilhelmina Thunderbuns, however, is still in the running to play Nurse Chapel.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zachary Quinto's a fairly weird name. For that matter, so are Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner. Gene Roddenberry sounds like a character invented by Philip K. Dick.

3. Triptacular

Triptacular Captain Captain

Speaking of weird.... this may seem like an odd suggestion, but if Danny Masterson, from That 70's Show, had short straight hair (and worked out alot) could he play young Kirk? He's 5'10" and 31yrs. old, but could obviously pass for younger. He's certainly got the smirk and can play the attitude in his sleep. So much of Kirk is the attitude.

He would certainly bring in a huge audience on his own. Would anyone get behind him in the role?

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005194/

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Mmm. . . I think I'll pass on that one too. I like the guy, but he reminds me of Kirk in absolutely no way.

5. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

6. Temis the Vorta

Hey, they should audition the guy at least... ;)

7. Triptacular

Okay, this time I've got it. Dylan Bruno from Numb3rs. Put his pic next to the one with Kirk and Spock looking up at the camera. He's got a great smirk and he's in terrific physical shape. He's 35yrs, but he can play younger. I can't find his height, but he's definitely under 6'.

IMDB Photo: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0116465/H...;path_key=Bruno,%20Dylan

And Venardhi, if you don't see a resemblance, I'd suggest a seeing eye dog.

8. Venardhi

Being white isn't resemblance. I do like the look of this Dylan Bruno fella though. Doesn't look much like Shatner but it could work.

If they're going young, they should cast me. I'm exceedingly sexy after all. And white, so theres some resemblance. ;)

9. Triptacular

A. Bruno does look like Shatner. Do a few photo comparisons.

B. Shat is not going to step into a time machine and reappear as Kirk, so you might want to use a little imagination. Nobody is going to be perfect.

C. Shat also played "The Big Giant Head" on Third Rock from the Sun, so it would appear you two have yet another thing in common!

;) :p :D

10. Venardhi

I'm not asking for perfect, but I'm not arguing that resemblance is the end all, just that these guys don't look especially like him and claims otherwise are silly. Attitude and chemistry with Quinto are far more important.

11. Triptacular

I don't know anything about Quinto. Is he a good actor?

12. Venardhi

He has his moments.

13. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you watch Heroes? If not then i will recommend you watch its from the start. Its blew my mind when i saw it.
    Ounito is awesome as villain Syler.

14. Venardhi

I'm gonna miss Nimoy's voice though. That is one thing Quinto just doesn't have. :(

15. Luna

Luna Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Which is a shame, IMO, because Ackles would be as close to perfection (for me) as they could get, as far as known actors are concerned.

I was indifferent to him when he was on Dark Angel and Smallville, but I've been a fan of Supernatural since the beginning and it gives him so much more to work with, and he's fantastic. He can play charming, he can play the tough guy, and he's great with the emotional stuff, too.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I agree. I did my best to see the resemblance when watching That 70s Show yesterday, but I couldn't see it to save my life.

I don't think it's Venhardi or I who need the seeing dog ... :p

17. Tamek

Tamek Admiral Admiral

But his legs got cut off on ER!

18. Temis the Vorta

Okay that Bruno guy is getting closer...and he's the brother of cute Sheriff Walt Bannerman from The Dead Zone. :thumbsup:

Still goin' with Bailey, tho...keep trying, everyone. Maybe somewhere out there, there's an even better Kirk than him.

As good as Nimoy, I'd say. And I've always thought Nimoy was far and away the best of the TOS cast. Beyond just talent, he not only looks like Nimoy but has the same sort of persona - the intelligent outsider.

That's one reason I like Bailey. He can act, right looks, but his persona is also crucial. He's the sincere, straight-arrow hero. If he can also project a genuine leadership quality, he's Kirk.

He has a better voice for the role than a lot of actors would. It's got resonance but yeah, too high. Then again, Nimoy's voice is very unusual. Maybe Quinto can work with a vocal coach to deepen his voice.

19. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think so Tim ;). I feel this actor fall into same category as Matt Damon, to old. He is 72 model and Damon is 71 model. It is either black or white with you. Well he is better then kid you recommend before so keep on trying :thumbsup:. Regarding Dylan Bruno ain't he the jerk in "Where the Heart Is"?

p.s has everyone forgotten about Ryan Gosling as candidate for Kirk

20. Temis the Vorta

Ryan Gosling doesn't look like the Kirk type in the least. If ya want some guy named Ryan, the closest match is Ryan Phillipe.