So what would you like CBS to do with a new Star Trek TV show?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by GhostFaceSaint, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

TNG was financially successful because it aired before the proliferation of cable channels started that has bled off the audience for all network programming. DS9 was hit by the start of that trend, which continued with VOY and finally finished off ENT. The fact that TNG was soothing and easy to take, while DS9 was challenging and off-putting may have also contributed, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

While I agree that DS9's writing was better than VOY or ENT, (or TNG - soothing and easy to take aren't qualities I value in writing) if you actually look at the Nielsens charts, you won't see a correlation between quality and popularity.

To understand why Star Trek took a nose dive overall during that time period, you have to look at the larger entertainment trends, which are crucial because those trends have only gotten worse over time. To survive on TV today, Star Trek has to deal with the same - or worse - environment that killed ENT.

2. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Although I don't think a new Trek show could capture the same percentage of viewers viewers as TNG, a new show if executed correctly, could easily capture between 3.5 to a 4 in ratings score on a regular basis, thats based on the success of the newest movies execution of Trek.

Personally I think that if TV producers wait to do a new show like one producer has stated he plans do a new Trek show after XIII (2014-?), when they have new Trek has been proven to work and if the new show gets the same kind of execution (no humanist BS, that kinds of human interaction is too flat and way too two-dimensional) it could capture an astounding 5 in the ratings score, although I don't know how Trek's next two films will be received internationally I hope they better than XI did and therefore help create international hope in a new show.

3. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I'd like to see CBS do a new kind of Trek show - takes place on a starship bridge, yes, but is a gameshow. Hosted by William Shatner. Contestants are either asked obscure trivia by Shatner, and/or interviewed by him. Or they might just talk about current events, or any random topic. Also would be a musical guest set up in Engineering. And once per show, they access the viewscreen, and talk to a different alien or other weird creature, always ending with Shatner firing the torpedoes and destroying it.

4. msbae

msbae Commodore

That idea could be hilarious. :techman:

5. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

I think the start of the trend happened in Season 6 of the TNG. I remember looking at a rating charts from TNG Season 1 to ENT Season 4. The high point was TNG Season 5 and then a slow but steady erosion of viewers barring off course season openers and finales who had jumps.

Either way. That is why I was saying originally on a different thread about the next Trek Show. It has to be done with an eye of surviving in low ratings. Any attempt to relive the glory days are hit and misses. They should aim their sights lower. Lets face more people are going to be interested in watching CSI then a bunch of guys in space wearing makeup.

6. childofdarkness

childofdarkness Lieutenant Red Shirt

Personally, I would love to see a series see in the MU of TOS' "Mirror, Mirror" ep. It could take off right afterthe TOS Kirk has come and gone, leaving the seeds of a new way planted in Spock's mind. If I recall, the actual ep implied that Spock would eliminate the MU Kirk with the Tantalus field. Since MU Spock was also presented as "a man of honor in both universes," I don't think he would do that. Anyway, it would be more interesting if he allowed Kirk to flee. Spock could begin leading the movement for a kinder, gentler imperium from the Enterprise, while MU Kirk went back to HQ to lead the defense of the status quo. Such a series would have the advantage of not interfering with the Neutrek movie universe or the old canon TV universe in any way. It could have all the hallmarks of a fine viewing experience: lots of conflict, the opportunity to present a war of ideologies in a safe way, interesting characters, the opportunity to set the action and develop characters on other ships, planets subject to the imperium, and at the heart of the imperium, the possibility of hot actors and relationships, et al. (Anyway, I would enjoy it, provided they updated the hairstyles and costume designs from the 60's ep. :-)

7. GhostFaceSaint

I would love to see a series about the scientists and test pilots building, flying, and experimenting with future Starfleet tech, seeing a heart pounding dramatic scene of an experimental starship flown faster than warp 10 (not trasnwarp like in Voyager because that was lame), seeing weird inter-dimensional experiments, the building of Robots that think and feel like humans, elements of spy fiction with intergalactic espionage of radical and secret 23rd century technologies, and finaly introduce an element of sci-fi horror from the result of these sci-fi experiments along with creatures and even monsters from other worlds. Also bring sci-fi into focus and add some flawed three-dimensional characters who change and grow and you will tell a great story that would enhance Star Trek and sci-fi!

8. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

do you think it is a good idea for the movie cast to do another Trek series.

9. GhostFaceSaint

I don't think the idea that Trek should have stayed gone for ten years was anything but a myth, so a new show if executed correctly like the movie was done would succeed. By the way there are at least three TV producers interested in doing a new Trek series but I believe from what I read in an interview with one producer (can't remember his name right now but the interview with him could easily be googled and by the way he was formerly involved with Trek in the past) he stated he wanted to wait until after the third planned film to see if Trek is really here to stay, so it is probably a good guess that any other TV producers including CBS itself wants to wait until the movies prove that new Trek can work as well.

I don't see why Trek when done right can't work bad TV usually gets cancelled, which I know doesn't guarantee that good TV won't always get cancelled too but good TV generally does better at staying on the air and if the new movies stay popular as they come out in theater people will become interested in new Trek, CBS knows this, CBS will wait and see, but Trek has been proven in the past to work and CBS would love to own another successful Trek show if the market for it exists, and I think it does exist.

10. Kinneas

Kinneas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

- Leverage the new film, a new series and the MMO as a whole.

- Do exactly what Syfy and Trion World Network are doing with a TV Show/MMO Tie-In.

- With the new broadcasting laws leverage as many viewers across the globe to participate in the MMO.

- Ask the Star Trek psychologists exactly why the Star Trek fan base is the perfect demographic for this idea (Jenkins & Murray. M.I.T.).

(( I predict you could get numbers as good as World of Warcraft. This MMO could make more money in five years than the franchise made in Forty years.))

- Get up to speed on 'The Disclosure Project' Ufology, Exopolitics, 2012 and get that content into the new series.

- Make the UFP the 'Wagon Train'. Do not be one ship/crew ship centric.

- Speak with the futurists and technologists and continue to correct the canon when needed.

- Open a dialog with NASA, DoE, DoD(D.A.R.P.A. Games Div.), Cern, Fermi, the Bussard trust(?), The Brookings Institution and let them explain to you how they could help a new Star Trek series and MMO.

- Understand 'Icons' & the very real power of Icons to mobilize a National and International Identity.

- Focus on or do a Star Trek:2012 mini-series.

- Work 'prime' content back in over time.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009