So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished The Diamond of Darkhold. Nice ending to the series. Much better than the middle two books.

Now I'm reading Stolen Innocence: really long subtitle by Elissa Wall. It's a memoir of a girl who grew up in the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints under Warren Jeffs.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Don't read the following RC books.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I finally found one of the Psych tie-ins by William Rabkin, Mind Over Magic, which captures the back-and-forth of Shawn and Gus pretty well so far... Wish they'd let others do some, so I could have a go, but it seems to be a single-author series.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just finished Dance of Dragons by GRRM, Thief of Thieves Vol.1 by Nick Spencer, and Manhattan Projects Vol.1 by Jonathan Hickman. Gonna check out Lee Bermejo's Batman: Noel next...

5. Ó Méith

Ó Méith Lieutenant Red Shirt

Currently rereading How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove.

6. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Thanks for the advice, but I've read them all already. Hahaha. I just like reading series in order again after waiting several months.

The only ones I really didn't care for were Order 66 and 501st.

7. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I really enjoyed that one as well as A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read. However, I was very disappointed in the latest one, Mind-Altering Murder. For some reason the author seemed to have lost the voice for the characters in that one; the characterizations seemed totally off to me. It seems most of the books based on USA shows are single-author series. It's kind of a shame, because I'd like more of a variety, and I'd definitely be interested in reading a Psych novel by you.

I finished Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel. I thought it was really good and enjoyed it a lot.

I then read the first (and so far only) volume of Warehouse 13 comics.

I'm now reading New Frontier: Excalibur - Requiem.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Really enjoying The Lost Years by J.M. Dillard. It is based almost entirely on the big three though.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Read "Queen of the Black Coast" by Robert E. Howard last night.

10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Brian Wood is currently doing a comic book adaptation of Howard's QotBC through Dark Horse comics. He's doing it as at least 25 issues i hear. IMO, it's been quite good...if you're interested in reading a different take on the character :)

11. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finally finished Star Trek: TNG/X-Men: Planet X last night. I was reading it fairly quickly but with work starting back up and trying to catch up on comics - I'm months behind! - It's been a slow burn. I ended up liking it, a good bit of fun. Though, the last 1/3 of the book feels a little off - we lose any POV of the Transformed chapters for no real reason. Some odd editing mistakes, too. Archangel is said to have both metal and feather wings, which I can attribute to the book being written before Angel's wings changed, but still. And, a character is once called Lt. Wayne, then called Lt. Lee, then called Lt. Wayne! Very odd.

I've also gotten around to reading Batman: Earth One which I thought was a lot better than Superman: Earth One, but that's not saying much. Definitely feels like it's trying to draw in the Nolan-verse Batfan, which isn't necessarily bad, but it lacks the detective aspect of Batman. Some interesting and welcome mythos changes, though.

As well, I also read and absolutely loved Parker: The Score adapted by Darwyn Cooke. What amazing visual storytelling and a really fun heist story.

Next up I dive into the Mirror Universe with Age of the Empress

12. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I definitely enjoyed Deepsix more, but I still really enjoyed the heck out of Chindi. I haven't started Omega yet (and probably won't for several months), but I can say I enjoyed this one more than The Engines of God.

Just finished Voyager: Eternal Tide. Next up is Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil.

13. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Taking a little break from Trek and reading "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian". so far, this book is frickin awesome :D

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hah! I'm rereading "People of the Black Circle," which was the first CONAN story I ever read, way back when.

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading 3 books at the moment, which I switch between depending on my mood. Fast Food nation, The Hobbit and Boneshaker

16. Romulus Prime

Romulus Prime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished A Stitch In Time which was an excellent read and definitely my all-time favorite Trek book (no small feat). I actually "missed" reading about Garak and all the people he interacted with when I finally finished it. Will read it again in the future.

Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

:bolian:

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I loved Chindi - proper sci fi, that.

As for me- started on The Lincoln Lawyer

18. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I recently finished No Logo, a sharp criticism of corporate brands' advertising and labor practices. It complemented Empire of Illusion nicely. Now I'm relaxing a bit with Moon Shot. Ever since the weekend that Curiosity landed (8 August), I've been reading space exploration books.

19. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have just read Diane Carey's novel, "Final Frontier" which I loved!

Anyone interested in my review can find it here

I think next on my Star Trek reading list is one of the Star Trek Academy books, "Crisis at Vulcan"

20. DaveR

DaveR Commander Red Shirt

I love many of Turtledove's ideas for alternate history, especially in that "universe," but his writing can drive me crazy sometimes.

I buy his books for the concepts, never for the prose. If I like the concept, I generally like the book, even as I cringe at the many things I don't like about his style.