So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the movie weren't "much-more-famous," or it didn't change the story in ways that were pointless at best, and detrimental at worst, then I wouldn't be nearly so hostile to it. Yet because it is so much more famous, the folks at Disney who made Return to Oz evidently felt compelled to acknowledge and reference it (on top of conflating the second and third books, and the characters of Mombi and Langwidere).

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the Adventure Time Encyclopedia last night, so now I'm just going to focus on The Shadow Commission.

3. hbquikcomjamesl

The Gospel According to St. Mark.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Death at Whitechapel and Death at Epsom downs by Robin Page.

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Finished "The Ritual" by Adam Nevill. A good book, I am only not a fan of the last chapter.

Next "last Days" by Adam Nevill

6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I DNF'd Chain of Attack at about 44%. I love Engines of Destiny by the same author, but this one just wasn't doing it for me. There are so many better extragalactic adventures that I would rather watch or read. To make matters worse, the Kindle formatting for the paragraphs was awful.

I switched to rereading The Entropy Effect, and I am reminded again of why I love Star Trek books. You really get the feeling of what it might be like to be in Starfleet and out on the edges of the Federation, and all of the characters come across as both real and intriguing. I can imagine what it would feel like to lose six weeks of work, and it makes me appreciate Spock's emotional control even more.

7. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

Just finished: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Art of Juan Ortiz (2017, Titan Books).

From the publisher’s description (which explains it better than I could):

“Following on from Juan Ortiz's fabulous Original Series movie-poster collection [Star Trek: The Art of Juan Ortiz (2013)], this latest treat for art-loving Trek fans features 178 posters that capture the essence of The Next Generation. Inspired by indie-film and black-light posters, comics and rock/punk culture and showcasing Ortiz's unique creative vision, this new installment of original Trek art is sure to delight fans worldwide.”

I love this book! Funny, though, I oftentimes found myself liking the “posters” created by Ortiz more on the “so-so” episodes than the better/more popular ones. I posted sample pictures on my Facebook page but don’t know how to do that here, but they are gorgeous. I especially like the ones that Ortiz uses the styles of old Hollywood movie posters for.

(I requested that my local library system, the Tampa/Hillsborough Public Library, get both this and the aforementioned pervious Star Trek: The Art of Juan Ortiz (2013) book and they got this one in first. So, at the time I read this TNG book and am writing this little review, I have not seen Ortiz’s original series book yet.)

(I gave this TNG art book five out of five stars on GoodReads.)

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want to add a picture to a thread, you first need to post it to a photosharing site like Photobucket or Imgur, and then get a link from the image on there, and star a new post and hit the button with the mountains and sun put the link in there.

9. hbquikcomjamesl

The Gospel According to St. Luke
    The Gospel According to St. John

Had enough free time to read a couple of short stories in ADF's The Flavors of Other Worlds.
    Ahead of quota, and about to start The Acts of the Apostles.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino.

One of my colleagues recommended it and so far it's interesting.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished The Shadow Commission by @David Mack about an hour ago. I really enjoyed it, and posted a few more thoughts over in the review thread in the general SFF section of the board.
    I downloaded a couple samples of books I was curious about, Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, and Year One by Nora Roberts, so those are up next.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since my other post I've read the samples, and started the novelization of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Alexander Freed.

13. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I read this a couple years ago, meaning to continue on (still do), but got distracted with other stories. For some reason it was a slow going read, but I still very much enjoyed it for the reasons you describe. It was great seeing so many additional aspects of the land of Oz, and sequences that were never used in the famous movie. I particularly liked the additional events that occurred on the way to the City of Emeralds, they go by quick in the book, but even adding some of those into the movie would have made it crazy long. One of the most memorable moments was the Wizard troubleshooting the Cowardly Lion's problem, it's a great little joke. I still mean to read further, but a couple of small things have caused me to hesitate and keep putting it off.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  14. hbquikcomjamesl

The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans
    The First Second Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Old joke: "Did the Corinthians ever write back?"

16. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Just started Star Trek Picard: The Dark Veil by James Swallow.

Jinn likes this.
  17. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, that's why he had to write a 2nd letter to the Corinthians :guffaw::nyah:

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cat me if you can by Miranda James

19. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've started reading "Heart of the Sun" and on one page Captain Kirk noted that he had a great-great-grandfather who had a serious problem with spiders back on his ranch on Earth where they nearly ate him and had finished off the cattle.

I have to think that's a tongue in cheek reference to the 1977 film, "Kingdom of the Spiders" that William Shatner starred in.

I saw that movie years ago but I do recall it was one of the better 'nature takes its revenge' films out there. It took me a minute to remember why that line sounded familiar.

20. hbquikcomjamesl

The Second Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians
    The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians

Spoiler alert: Philippi is the one in Greek Macedonia, not the one in West Virginia. And it's nearly 6000 miles by air from Manila.

And Lent is 90% over.