So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Final Bearing by Don Keith and George Wallace and enjoyed it.

Now, it's Agent G: Assassin by C T Phipps.

2. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading The Captain's Oath by Christopher L. Bennett. At about the 1/3 mark, it is working pretty well for me. In the Acknowledgements section, the author says he wanted to make this like a Buried Age for Kirk, and that is the feeling I am getting. Since I enjoyed the Picard book, that's a very good thing.

3. John Clark

Just started Black Chamber by S M Stirling.

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Latest Literary Treks podcast episode is up: Literary Treks 272: A Fun Borg Romp? - in which Bruce and I discuss TNG: Resistance by J.M. Dillard.

Still currently reading New Earth, Book 6 of 6: Challenger by Diane Carey. Enjoying it more than I thought I would. This series has been a bit of a slog, but this final book isn't bad at all!

5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished the Trains special issue on the Union Pacific's recent full-working-order restoration of "Big Boy" locomotive 4014.

Just finished going back through the short stories from ADF's original Mad Amos book. About to re-read the newer pieces that were where I started in the new Mad Amos: The Complete Stories book. I will note that the typographicproblemswithwordsrunningtogether appears to have only affected the newer stories. Curious.

Probably my next ST reading will be to re-read the TMP novelization.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the basic concept of New Earth -- let's see what a long-term colonization in the Star Trek universe is like! -- but the execution fell short. The only essential books are the first (the flight out), the second (the founding of the colony), and the sixth (the Enterprise going off station). The middle three books don't really add anything to the series, and I seem to remember that they all told basically the same stories (the colony is threatened and the Enterprise crew saves the day). There needed to be more variety in the middle, imho.

Challenger is probably the best of Carey's late period Star Trek novels, though I remember that her take on Spock in that book was a little weird.

7. Kertrats47

I'm finding much the same. And yeah, there have been a few eyebrow-raising moments with Spock so far in this one. He seems... befuddled? Which is obviously strange for Spock. Definitely enjoying it more than I have the majority of the series, though. Rough Trails (book 3) was an absolute low point for me.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I think that was Carey's take on Spock post-The Motion Picture epiphany....

9. Kertrats47

Ah! That kind of makes sense. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while I'm reading, that definitely helps!

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the Dresden Files short story B is for Bigfoot yesterday. It was pretty fun, and a nice introduction the the talking Sasquatch, Strength of a River in His Shoulders, who apparently went on to appear in some other stories.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek TNG Dragon's Honor written by Kaj Johnson and Greg Cox. This book reminds me of How much for a planet. With the TNG characters getting into awkward situations in this book. There's some funny scenes in this book.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. Kertrats47

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm rereading Star Trek 2009 movie novel Dean ALn Foster.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trying t read The Captain's Oath but real life keeps interrupting me.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's how I felt when writing it... ;)

trampledamage likes this.
  16. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just started a book about Fort Knox.
    But I’m finding it hard to get in to....:biggrin:

17. John Clark

The War Planner by Andrew Watts. So far, if part of it was to be a surprise, it was screamingly obvious.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How convenient that your avatar is already face-palming so we don't have to.

trampledamage likes this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad you're enjoying it! That was my second Trek novel, which seems like such a long time ago now.

For my co-author's sake, let me point out that her name is Kij, not Kaj.

Just a typo, I know, but I want to get her credit right. If you're interested, she has since gone on to become an award-winning fantasy author.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been catching up on a few books that I started earlier this year and hadn't finished. A few chapters left to read for "Armageddon's Arrow", "Cold Equations" 01 and "Indistinguishable from Magic"