So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still busy with the Myriad Universes story 'The Tears of Eridanus'. There are plenty if Andorians (much to @Therin of Andor's liking I would think ;).

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taking a look at Mass Effect:Initiation by N K Jemisin/Mac Walters

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm reading this one as well,

I am not clear what happened to the rest of the Enterprise crew, are they dead? But I like the Interstellar Union and badass T'Pau

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Crossroad by Barbara Hambly

This is a pretty good TOS novel. A little more grim than your typical TOS episode and much much bloodier in some scenes.

Positives:

- The possible future of the Federation was terrifying. What little we got to hear about it was very intriguing, Much more so than many of the Mirror Universe episodes.
    - We get to see a lot more of Nurse Chapel than we usually do.
    - The scenes featuring the Lovecraftian creature known as the yagghorth are very well done. Lots of suspense when Spock is being stalked.

Negatives:

- The villain of the story, Domina McKennon, wasn't as well developed as I would have liked. I would liked to have seen more scenes with her giving her side of the story. It would have fleshed out the character and created more of a "who can we trust?" mystery. Instead it's blatantly obvious that she is evil right off the bat.

- Occasionally my attention wandered in the second half of the story and I would have to go back and read a paragraph again. I didn't feel bored, but I kept losing the thread of the story. As a consequence the ending, while satisfactory, wasn't as thrilling as I'd hoped. Maybe that's my fault. Maybe it's the authors.

Overall, it was a much better than average numbered novel, imo. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of the 26th century adventures of Arios and his crew and their rebellion against the Consilium.

Edited to comment on a couple of lines that I liked. The first one I find amusing because it foreshadows the last episode of Enterprise by 10 years:

"Mind you," she added roguishly, ... "some of the historicals, and the views of far-flung planets, get a little...less accurate. There's even a holo adventure which takes place on the original Enterprise. I'd be curious to see how closely it matches..."

^
    Trip Lives!

The paragraph below caught my eye because of the author's unexpected Raymond Chandler-esque use of simile:

He took a deep breath. Like taking the first step with a gut wound. Like saying the first words to a woman after finding the tracks of the other man. "So the rebellion is centered in the Fleet?"

^
    If we ever get a Dixon Hill novel, I think we know who needs to write it. Since the author clearly loves H.P. Lovecraft it would probably turn out like a Holodeck version of the old HBO movie Cast a Deadly Spell.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
  5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek SCE Grand Designs

6. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Titan: Fortune of War by David Mack.
    I'm now reading Star Trek: Discovery: Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward.

7. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At long last, I am finally starting the "A Time To..." series from 2004. I've been reading the current TNG novels over the last 4-5 years, really enjoying them for the most part, but after finishing up "Hearts and Minds" I felt I needed to go back to where the new novel-verse started for TNG, which is this series. It's so strange in reading these to have Riker and Data back on the Enterprise!

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

The last Vanguard novel :wah:

Nyotarules and Kilana2 like this.
  9. John Clark

The Girl who takes an eye for an eye by David Lagercrantz (from the Millenium novel series)

10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's time for the showdown :devil:

11. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Trek stuff:

[​IMG]

Not Trek stuff:

Breakheart Pass by Alistair MacLean

I'm about to start the Solar Cycle series by Gene Wolfe

Kilana2 and Greg Cox like this.
  12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

13. Reanok

The Canary Trainer by Nicholas Meyer

14. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Best Star Trek series ever!

I started Dark Mirror last week, only because someone on this site mentioned it.

15. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

• Original Sin by David R George III I'm finding it slow-going, to be honest. I don't hate DRG's style - in fact, I'd say that I've enjoyed his work more than I haven't - but I think I'm ready for a fresh voice to write DS9 books.
    • Grant by Ron Chernow, which is slow-going for quite another reason. It's fascinating but dense.
    • The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters, the 13th book in the Brother Cadfael medieval-mystery series. This is my current "chill-out" book, a light, relaxing read that still has enough substance to hold my interest.

16. John Clark

I've had it for a while, but I've finally got around to starting Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews. (Just in case we do see it at the cinema)

It's good so far.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  17. Reanok

I'm reading The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.

18. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Been laying low but keeping up with my trek through 2270 novels. The Entropy Effect, The Latter Fire, and just about to finish The Weight of Worlds. Very entertaining reads...almost in 2271 and getting close to TMP.

I also read Ready Player One in anticipation for the movie, and I have the audiobook of Armada going in the car on my work route. It makes it worth it to have a great nerd adventure narrated by WW.

19. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Janice Cantore's Abducted. Next is Boldly Go, Volume 2, A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay, Cantore's Avenged, and Brandilyn Collins' Sidetracked.

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Finished the Vanguard saga :wah:

Next I am going to rereading most of Star Trek the Lost Era novels